.300 RCM?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

.300 RCM?

Postby gotduck68415 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:07 pm

I will be looking for a new deer rifle in the near future. My 12 year old niece is going deer hunting this year and Im going to let her have my 243. I waqs just wondering what you guys thought of Rugers new 300 Ruger Compact Mag. Says that it has as good of ballistics as a 300 win mag but will it be around in 10 years? I would just get a 300 win mag but everyone has one. I want something different. I was unable to find any numbers on the ballistics of this bullet.
Dont shoot where they have been, shoot where they are going.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jrockncash » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:32 pm

Problem with some of these new cartridges is just like you said matchs performance of an already standard shell and they usually cost a bunch more for bullets. Like .300wsm 100 ft faster than a .300win mag and 100 slower than a .300 weatherby. But shells cost more. Getting more reasonable now. .270 would of been better to compare but you get the point. I wouldnt get it unless your a guy that likes to get new guns and reloads. Post a link when you find one talking bout that gun.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:42 pm

I wouldnt have even known about this if I didnt see it on the Ruger website. I only found it in a Ruger MK 77. I was thinking about a 243 WSSM. What do you think about them?
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jrockncash » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:47 pm

Funny you ask, I have shot one and it was "VERY" fast. It was amazing at how fast the bullet got out to about 400 yards. That being said the accuracy was not good. My friend had handloaded some warm rounds not quite hot but on the upper end. Well I shot a group of 3 and it was about 2" groups. I thought it was me so I shot another. That one was about 1.75" with factory loads. I grabbed my Remington 700 bdl 22-250 and put 2 in the same hole and one high that made the whole thing look like a key hole. So long story short it didnt shoot well. Im not saying all the .243 wssm are crap but in my experience I wouldnt buy one. I reload so I wouldnt worry to much about getting bullets so If I was going to get a hot rod in that region I would get a .257 weatherby or a .243 win and load it up. You prob not going to get it to .243wssm but the availability to get ammo would sway me.

I dont want to sound like a downer but your two question are on things I dont particularly like. WSSM's and Ruger rifles. What type of rifles do you like? If you said what type of gun you liked and what calibers you were lookin at I could help narrow it down maybe. Lately I have been on a Levergun kick. I have a 45-70 that shoots 1'' groups with factory ammo. I have a ton of confidence that I can make a quick accurate offhand shot with it. And its just plain fun to shoot.

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

jrockncash
hunter

Postby Kurt » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:16 am

i have heard that the .243 wssm will eat barrels pretty fast. I think that getting ammo for that will be tough in less you start reloading now. I was on another site and some guys are atarting to stock pile the brass for them. i like ruger rifles i have a 6mm in that my grandpa bought in the early 70s. I would get one in a call that you can find unless you reload. I would agree with everything that jrockncash said he hit it right on.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:43 pm

I don't buy Ruger/Hornaday's claims on the 300 RCM. Seems that Ruger/Hornaday and TC are both trying to reinvent the wheel with their latest releases that don't give you any better performance-albeit in a new package.

I looked at the chart on Hornaday's website, and their comparative velocities listed for WSMs and WMs are using Hornaday factory loads (and they don't even list a 300WSM factory load on their website). There are factory loads that are easily faster than what they are listing in their chart. I'm sure with handloads, the disparity becomes even greater, as I've heard of issues with matching factory ballistics with RCM handloads.

If you don't handload, I would steer clear of both the RCMs and WSSMs. Like Jrock, I am not much of a fan of the WSSMs or Ruger rifles. The older tang safety models are decent, but it has been all downhill since then. The 243 WSSMs aren't quite the barrel burners they have been portrayed to be, but factory loadings are already getting harder to find.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:03 pm

I just went back through and read you first post. You want something new... how about a 7mmSTW or a .264 win mag. I see you live in NE so you will be shooting mostly deer maybe an antelope if you go for a drive or depending on what side of the state you live on. Both of these are flat FAST shooting guns. I was just trying to give you a look at some calibers that are different but tested. Also if you dont want kick but still get good performance look at a .280 remington also known as 7mm express.

The first two I have shot and I am very pleased with performance. If you want some more let me know I can think of about 20 off hand. :rofl:

jrockncash
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:18 am

I like the .264 idea!

Or maybe 260, or even better .260 AI!
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:48 pm

Thank you for the input guys. jrock to answer some of your ?s, Im not partial to one brand of gun over another. My 243 is a savage mod 110. I only plan on shooting deer and coyotes and possibly the occasional bobcat. I dont need anything that will shoot great distances for deer. Most of my shots on deer are within 50-150 yards. I was thinking of something FAST. I would like something light, and I dont care if the recoil is stiff.

Once again thank you for all your input. Anymore input would also be great.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:45 pm

Do you handload?
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:20 am

So you want a light fast handling rifle for shootin deer and yotes. BG has a good point do you handload? I think I know what hes thinking but I will wait and see. Do you care if its synthetic stocked or do you like wood? Stainless or blued? Last question what type of action? Bolt, lever, pump, semi?

jrockncash
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:45 pm

So many questions so little time. First no I do not reload. I only shoot my rifle 5 times a year, I dont think that it would ever pay to reload.
Second, I would prefer a synthetic stock
Third, I guess I would like the stainless but dont realy care either way.
Last but not least, I prefer a bolt action. My dad has a pump style and is starting to have trouble with it jaming shells.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby blackduck_killer » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:21 pm

Remington model 7 in whatever strikes your fancy, If it were me i'd be looking long and hard at .350 rem mag but a 7mm-08 or 6mm remington would also tempt me.
blackduck_killer
hunter

Postby DJH1 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:33 pm

gotduck68415 wrote:So many questions so little time. First no I do not reload. I only shoot my rifle 5 times a year, I dont think that it would ever pay to reload.
Second, I would prefer a synthetic stock
Third, I guess I would like the stainless but dont realy care either way.
Last but not least, I prefer a bolt action. My dad has a pump style and is starting to have trouble with it jaming shells.

I prefer ruger bolt guns, and a ss/syn ruger all weather in 7mm-08, .260, or .270 is about good as it gets for deer.
DJH1
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:45 pm

Last thing I swear, what price range we lookin hear?

jrockncash
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:26 pm

My next question, jrock!

But, without waiting for an answer, I'll give a few choices and the reasoning behind them.

First, you want something light, bolt action, synthetic, and maybe stainless. To me, that would point to something from a short action, with a 20-24" sporter weight barrel.

Second, you want a faster cartridge, but plan on not shooting terribly far. That is something we can work with! Honestly, though, for what you are using it for, something along the lines of .243, .260, 7-08, or 308 would work well, but I'll stick with the faster cartridges. Since I am working in the frame of a short action, I would use a WSM since they are relatively fast in a factory loading.

My first suggestion would be another Savage-hell, they are priced well, and accurate to boot. Savage makes several models that would fit the bill quite nicely. People complain of the stocks, but even with the factory stocks, I've not had problems. A better one could always be swapped in.

The Weather Warrior (16 series) is light (6.5-6.75 lb), stainless, and available in the WSMs. It is available in the 16FSS (blind mag), 16FHSS (hinged floorplate), or 16FCSS (box mag).

The Hunters (11 series) are availble in the same calibers and configurations, but blued.

Stevens would also be a consideration (you don't get the nice Accutrigger, however). But, the WSMs are not available, and you have to go with the long action magnums. Price is great on them, though.

Next, Remington has several choices. First, as Blackduck said, the Model 7. A .5" shorter action than the 700 along with shorter barrels make it very light and handy to carry.

The XCR Camo is synthetic, stainless, and available in WSMs and RSUMs. I do wonder about the life of the RSUMs, as I sure don't see them on the shelves of the local gunshops much. It is a touch over 7lbs.

The 700 sure isn't a bad choice either, just a bit heavier and longer.

The XCR is synthetic, trinyte (corrosion coated), available in WSM, and is 7 3/8 lb. A little heavier, but it also helps with felt recoil.

The SPS is available in blued or stainless, a bit cheaper than the other versions and configured like the XCR. Like the Savage, people have complained of the cheap stock, but swap one in later if you wish.

Or, pick up a used M70 featherweight in WSM. They are a bit hard to find in synthetic, and I really can't remember if they made a synthetic WSM. A synthetic could always be swapped in later if you can't find one already with one.

Good luck!
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:36 pm

Heres my choices

http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... =035177216

either this or the .243 win model I dont know enough about the
X bolt to recommend it, but I can recomend the A bolt.

I second the XCR its an awesome gun.

Remingtons website is a mess so no pics.

I also like the weatherby Vanguard ss.

Its a little heavier but I can attest to the accuracy out of the box.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/defa ... VGS308NR4O

.308 win is a good caliber choice because bullet selection is great and you can go way down or way up with factory loads. Every one is under $772 and I you want to pay more I can revise the list.

How is that .260 rem? I dont know anyone with one. Lots of guys really like the new Savages and they all talk about its cost and accuracy you get for it but I just dont like that accu trigger. Maybe Im old fashion but the little set pin thing in the trigger is distracting. I could get used to it though because after that the trigger is good.

jrockncash
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:31 am

The .260 is a very nice round! Nice and pretty flat, it's getting pretty hot in the LR matches. I also like the choice in .308, but both are not exactly as fast as I expect gotduck is looking for.

I love Savages, and the Accutrigger doesn't distract me. I just make it part of my routine during the shot. Get set up, pull the blade back to the trigger, then start the same routine as with any other trigger. It bothered me right at first, but after a few times with it, I don't really even notice it anymore.

One thing to keep in mind is that Savage has 3 different Accutriggers. The standard hunting trigger, the varmint trigger, and the competition trigger.

Also, with a Savage, barrel changes are a cinch, and even boltface changes are easy.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:29 pm

OK I think I have figured out what I want to buy. I think Im going to go with the Savage mod11GCNS. It is a blued barrel, removale mag, wood stock with 22" barrel. Im going with it over the syn. stock because it comes in the cal I think I decided on. Im goin to go with the . Now all you guys have to decide for me is what bullets to shoot out of it.

I have been shoot ing Winchester shells. with the price of bullets I dont want to buy a few different kinds to find the ones I like. any help would be great.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gotduck68415 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:33 pm

I was going to keep you in suspence and not tell you what cal I was going with untill tomorrow but if you can keep a secret Ill tell you now. After careful thinking Im now happy to announce the winner. 7mm-08
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jrockncash » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:29 pm

Good choice. Not much kick, with practice you could get very good with a gun like that. I dont own a 7mm08 but I have heard good things about it.

I think you will be very happy with a light fast handling gun in a reasonable cartridge. This is a route more people should take rather than getting a super duper varmint mag and getting the flinches early on.

jrockncash
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:55 pm

Thank you jrock. Im sure Ill put a few boxes of shells in it the first month I own it. Still not sure on wich shells to get for it. I was looking on Midway for some ideas. What do you guys suggest.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:14 pm

I think the 7-08 is a fine choice for what you are going to do with it. I like your choice in rifles as well! :thumbsup:

Well, I hate to say it, but it's going to be hard to say what load your gun is going to like. 2 Savages side by side, same model, same caliber, may like 2 different loads.

Off the Midway catalog, these would be the top 3 I would try, in order of preference. I still can't belive how expensive factory loads are now! I couldn't shoot a quarter of what I do now if I had to pay those prices....

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=114723

Norma has an outstanding reputation for quality. You could sell the Norma brass to a handloader easily as they have great brass. I also like the Ballistic Tips used in this load. More expensive than the other offerings, I'm sure but the quality would make up for it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=637458

Before I handloaded, I always had good luck with Winchester Supremes. They say the moly coating is the only difference between the Ballistic Tips and Ballistic Silvertips, but the latter seemed to fragment a lot more. Still a good round to try.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=568182

I honestly don't like Federal, but when I tried the Fusions out of my 300WSM I was impressed. I didn't have dies yet, and wanted to shoot it-and the Fusions were all the shop had in stock. The rifle didn't like the brass but they still shot very well.
Last edited by bgoldhunter on Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:23 pm

BG what is your take on the .300wsm? A friend of mine is in the market and I have yet to shoot this one.I have a .325 wsm A bolt and I am really impressed with it but he is not sure he wants to go that big. Is it worth getting it over a .300 win mag or weatherby. The .300 rum kicks so hard I dont think many guys can shoot it well enough.

Back to bullets. Ballistic tips or silvertips are great deer loads and will be good for song dogs too. You may also just buy a box of whatever is cheapest when you are breaking in your gun to try and keep cost down. I am glad I handload after looking at those links of BG's

Federal is making alot of different loads available to guys that you had to handload for before. If you ever get a chance to shoot something bigger than deer move up to a tough framed or bonded bullet. Also if you want to try reloading or can get a friend to reload for you(might cost a beer or two) try the Berger VLD's.

jrockncash
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:14 pm

I really like my 300WSM. I really don't need it, and was going to buy a 270WSM, but since I already had a 270 went bigger. I would go to it if I ever get to go out west without hesitation.

You could load a 300WM a little faster than the WSM, and WM brass is probably a bit cheaper. The difference isn't much, and would probably just pick the rifle and features I wanted and go with it. I wanted a short action and saving a bit of money on a touch less power isn't bad either, so the WSM was my choice.

Mine is in a Winchester Coyote, so it has more weight than a sporter rifle but I can shoot it all day without a problem (and did a few weeks after I was cleared to shoot because of my shoulder surgery).

My hunting partner and I both use Magpro in our WSMs (his is a 270WSM Savage 16FSS), and have had excellent luck with this powder. It meters well, and isn't as dirty as some powders.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Next

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum