Taurus PT1911

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Taurus PT1911

Postby fowl_wishes » Fri May 09, 2008 4:45 pm

I have always wanted a 1911. Have shot many styles of pistols over the years, but NEVER have i shot a 1911. I was doing some shopping for what i considered an entry level 1911 and stumbled upon the Taurus model. It seems like a very good gun on paper. And it feels well in my hand. But that doesnt really tell me much about the nitty gritty of the gun. And i dont want to drop $550 on a POS.

I dont care that it is a Taurus. I have hunted with Taurus pistols before with great results. I do not think there will be a issue in that. I have also always liked the idea of the lifetime warranty. And even tho i have heard horror stories about their customer service, i have never had a problem with them.

Besides, unless it says Colt, they are all a knockoff.

Any of you guys have first hand knowledge of them?
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mydogearl » Fri May 09, 2008 9:29 pm

I'm pretty sure that the Taurus 1911's have some customizing and match barrel, etc, which is usually watch you you get when you buy kimbers and other high dollar pistols. I have only heard a little bit about them but what i have heard is good.
I also have two 1911s and really like them and now I'm thinking about getting one of para-ordnances light double action 1911s.
mydogearl
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Fri May 09, 2008 11:39 pm

the taurus is advertising alot of the semi-custom things that are nto standard on most base model pistols. things like a semi-fitted barrel, heine sights, ambi-safety, checkered front and rear grip (and under the trigger guard for some reason, as well as a few other things.

But that isnt worth a hill of beans if it wont hit the broad side of a barn with any type of ammo I feel like feeding it. :hammer:

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jrockncash » Sat May 10, 2008 1:24 am

Never had a Taurus shoot well for me. I would look at EAA Witness .45 if I was lookin in that ballpark. I have one and it is a good gun and shoots very good. I paid 400 bucks for it and not many will out shoot it.

Like you said though if you like Taurus then go with whats comfortable.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby badandy970 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:24 am

The Taurus PT1911 is great gun it has alot of customization done and it has a lifetime warrenty. I had a problem with mine stemming from the gunsmith letting the lock tight drip down on the the firing pin block. Well longs story shot I sent it to them and when I got it back they had gone through the whole gun and relpaced some worn parts beyond what was actually broke I was really amazed.

Here is an article written about it. http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_re ... index.html
Semper Paratus
Final Approach Pro-Staff
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Duck Junkies Pro-Staff
Sitka AK. Ducks Unlimited
TEAM TRIPPLE H
TEAM BUSH QUACKED
badandy970@hotmail.com
badandy970
Forum & State Moderator

Postby blindretrieve » Sat May 10, 2008 8:52 pm

Fowl...there is one in the bargain trader this week for $450
My lab is smarter than your honor student
blindretrieve
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Sat May 10, 2008 10:44 pm

really? I will have to try to get a copy tommorrow!!!

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Sun May 11, 2008 11:26 pm

I would pass on the Taurus. Finish (assembly and external finish) is poor, and internals aren't quite where they should be. It's not a bad price, and you get a lot with it, but there are others I would look at first. Lots of failures in guns with reasonably low rounds through them.

A Springfield Loaded model isn't much more, and you will get a lot more gun in exchange. I would get a used SA before I bought a new Taurus.

You do, however, need a 1911. :thumbsup:
Last edited by bgoldhunter on Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Mon May 12, 2008 5:21 am

the best price i can find on the Springfield Loaded is $1000. I can get the PT1911 for half that. I am not knocking the SA model at all. I would love to have that. But i just dont have that kind of disposable income right now.

Bgold, what problems with the internals are you talkin about? and as fo rthe finish, that doesnt really bother me. I have never been a "is my gun pretty" kind of guy.

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue May 13, 2008 12:20 pm

You have a PM!
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby afsfjohnson64 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:56 am

i jus recently bought a taurus 24/7 pro .45 and i love it. my father-in-law bought the pt1911 and he has said nothing but good things about it
USAF Security Forces
afsfjohnson64
hunter

Postby firequacker » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:17 am

I love my PT1911

its has been a great gun

the out side finish could be better but I dont see to many that after years of carry dont rub

my guns are for go not for show

it has a GREAT group and good parts

i would say the grips and the finish would be what I would change and it just so happens grips are a dime a dozen

scott
firequacker
hunter

Postby dpturbo29 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:58 pm

I can't speak for everyone, but my PT 1911 AR might as well be a paperweight. I couldn't hit a barn if I was standing in it.

Out of the box it shoots about 4" right and 3" low. Think I've narrowed it down to a sloppy barrel bushing and slop between the frame and slide.

For the same money you can pick up an XD 45. No reason not too - far superior firearm in my opinion.

I guess the good part about the PT 1911 is that it is all steel so I can atleast bludgeon an attacker with it or throw it at someone.
Simplicity is a sign of intelligence
dpturbo29
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:05 pm

I would save a couple hundred more and get a SA 1911 milspec. Forget about all the other 1k 1911's out there unless you just want to know what it feels like to spend that much on one. :rolleyes:

I paid 730 for mine and to put it simply I'll try to remember to take a pic of the target next time I keyhole four shots a 20m with it :thumbsup:
devildog28
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum