Whats the best out of the box shooting rifle?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Whats the best out of the box shooting rifle?

Postby MAX4Utah » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:27 pm

I know there will be a lot of different opinions on this. I want to start looking at getting hunting rifle. I live in Utah and will be hunting Mule Deer and Elk. Aside from caliber, what is the best shooting rifle right from the store? May add a muzzle break later, but would like to avoid trigger and action by a gun smith work just to get a nice shooting gun. Probably looking at .270, 30-06 or 7mm for calibers. hanks for the info.
MAX4Utah
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Whats the best out of the box shooting rifle?

Postby Duplex lover » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:52 pm

T/C venture Hands down in my mind .
I have 4 different calibers
All MOA guns out of the box with a Readfield scope.
https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/bolt-action-rifles/venture/venture-weather-shield

Fallowed by Ruger American.
I personally do not own one but a lot of my shooting buddy's do I have shot them and they are superb too with a Redfield scope

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/index.html?r=y

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:39 pm

It may not be the best but if I was going to buy a new gun and scope, Id buy a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in a 30-06 caliber topped with a Leupold VX-2 4-12x40mm . The gun will shoot better than you can in all likelihood. It will shoot a hundred yard 3 shot group off a sandbag that you can cover with a quarter.

BTW what ever you buy, don't scrimp on the scope, the scope is just as an important investment as the gun is
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:44 pm

I MOA out of A-Bolts, X-Bolts and Savages all the time. I had a savage package gun with Tasco scope that shot .5" at 100 yards 5 shot groups Not the standard 3 shot people like to use. It was my Crow rifle due to the accuracy. My newest deer rifle is a 450 bushmaster AR and it shoots 3 shot clover leafs but opens up to about 1" with 5 shots. My 300 WSM X-bolt was in the .5" range but I changed from Nosler ST's to Accubonds and lost a bit but still under 1" If you find the load a gun likes you can get accuracy out of almost anything.
CPL holder since 1991, NRA Lifetime Member, DU Member, NICET certified

"For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.—Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jeffro9023 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:22 pm

Savage 110....Try one out and see
jeffro9023
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:41 pm

I'm partial to 700s, but have had some Savages that would shoot out of the box as well.

Bed the action, float the barrel, and forget the muzzle brake with those calibers...
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:31 pm

bgoldhunter wrote:I'm partial to 700s, but have had some Savages that would shoot out of the box as well.

Bed the action, float the barrel, and forget the muzzle brake with those calibers...

The Winchester Model 70 comes with a free floating barrel and bedded as does the Browning A bolt
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:51 pm

I've looked at plenty of factory applied bedding...I'd cut it out and start over.

Ditto with free floating barrels as plenty are not.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:22 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:I MOA out of A-Bolts, X-Bolts and Savages all the time. I had a savage package gun with Tasco scope that shot .5" at 100 yards 5 shot groups Not the standard 3 shot people like to use. It was my Crow rifle due to the accuracy. My newest deer rifle is a 450 bushmaster AR and it shoots 3 shot clover leafs but opens up to about 1" with 5 shots. My 300 WSM X-bolt was in the .5" range but I changed from Nosler ST's to Accubonds and lost a bit but still under 1" If you find the load a gun likes you can get accuracy out of almost anything.

Actually regardless of the 3 shot or 5 shot group every one talks about, the bottom line is if its a hunting rife and not just a rifle a fellow uses for shooting groups off a sand bag, IF you can hit the 4 inch circle of a old paper plate OFF Hand at a hundred yards, you should drop any big game animal you shoot at. Theres a big difference in shooting tight groups off a bag and shooting off hand in the woods.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:18 pm

My vote would be for a Tikka T3 stainless/synthetic. I have an X-Bolt and with the right loads it is less than 1/2 MOA gun but the Tikka will likely shoot just as well and is a few hundred less.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:35 am

cluckmeister wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:I MOA out of A-Bolts, X-Bolts and Savages all the time. I had a savage package gun with Tasco scope that shot .5" at 100 yards 5 shot groups Not the standard 3 shot people like to use. It was my Crow rifle due to the accuracy. My newest deer rifle is a 450 bushmaster AR and it shoots 3 shot clover leafs but opens up to about 1" with 5 shots. My 300 WSM X-bolt was in the .5" range but I changed from Nosler ST's to Accubonds and lost a bit but still under 1" If you find the load a gun likes you can get accuracy out of almost anything.

Actually regardless of the 3 shot or 5 shot group every one talks about, the bottom line is if its a hunting rife and not just a rifle a fellow uses for shooting groups off a sand bag, IF you can hit the 4 inch circle of a old paper plate OFF Hand at a hundred yards, you should drop any big game animal you shoot at. Theres a big difference in shooting tight groups off a bag and shooting off hand in the woods.

Correct, But if it shoots over an inch off a rest I don't want it as that can translate to big errors at 300 yds especially in off hand shooting. I shot a lot of long range matches so I have an issue with rifles that will not shoot good short range to start with. and If I need to shoot a coyote or fox that 4 inch circle you speak of could be a miss.
CPL holder since 1991, NRA Lifetime Member, DU Member, NICET certified

"For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.—Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:04 am

Factory rifles these days are as a whole very accurate (MOA or better), especially compared to middle tier pieces years ago. That said there are some with features like Accu-Trigger, Accu-Stock, adjustable triggers and the like that aide the day to day shooter. Of all the brands mentioned I would dare say that the average hunter that puts maybe 20 rounds downrange of a year wouldn't be able to see much if any difference.. Savage, Browning, Tikka, Remington, Winchester, etc. are pretty much all going to produce the same results if one does dome experimenting with varying loads. It is just a matter of finding the rifle with the features and ergonomics that suits your needs.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:03 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:

Correct, But if it shoots over an inch off a rest I don't want it as that can translate to big errors at 300 yds especially in off hand shooting. I shot a lot of long range matches so I have an issue with rifles that will not shoot good short range to start with. and If I need to shoot a coyote or fox that 4 inch circle you speak of could be a miss.

I understand what youre saying but most guns now days will shoot a decent group right out of the box, my intent was to say that most guys that deer hunt, dust that gun off a week before season and are darned lucky to shoot 5 out of 5 in a 4 inch circle at a hundred yards off hand regardless of what brand they shoot. Also Im a big believer in breaking in a gun barrel, Its always good to take lapping compound and lap the barrel in ( it removes any burrs created by machining that remain on the lands ). You wont believe how much good this does for the accuracy of the first 200 rounds you shoot thru the gun
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby MAX4Utah » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:21 am

Thanks for the replies and input. Lots of opinions and good guns looks like. My buddy just got a Sakko and it is real nice and shot very well out of the box. I can't afford one, but im looking into the Tikka T3. Still doing my researching and trying to decide on a caliber. Keep the input coming!
MAX4Utah
hunter

Postby uglymug » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:23 pm

The new mossberg patriot line of rifles that just came out looks really nice. Excellent, adjustable triggers and decent stocks.

Here's a decent review.

http://randywakeman.com/MossbergPatriot ... hester.htm

You can get it packaged with a vortex scope, which I can testify are top of the line with a great warranty.
uglymug
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:04 pm

MAX4Utah wrote: Still doing my researching and trying to decide on a caliber.

You didn't say which 7mm...but I'm partial to anything 7mm over the others you have listed.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby MAX4Utah » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:11 pm

bgoldhunter wrote:
MAX4Utah wrote: Still doing my researching and trying to decide on a caliber.

You didn't say which 7mm...but I'm partial to anything 7mm over the others you have listed.

I would get the 7mm Rem Mag. Here in Utah, 500+ yard shots are not uncommon.
MAX4Utah
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:32 pm

I bet they're more uncommon than you think, 500 yd is a looong ways. If you can reliably and ethically make that shot more power to you, but caliber is only part of the equation.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby toolmaker » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:11 pm

cluckmeister wrote:

the question at hand is, what are the most accurate RIFLES from the factory!!!

its not a discussion on your idea of how most people hunt!

now people who want to try and answer the question, THEN, throw in a little extra words to the "wiser"...that's fine..

EVERY hunter is BETTER when hunting with a tack driver vs a lemon shooting 3" groups at 100 yards!!!! PERIOD......its a debatable point if the tack driver helps most hunters......it certain would to the long range shooter.....who is hunting open country and the cover is sparse.

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:25 pm

toolmaker wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:

now people who want to try and answer the question, THEN, throw in a little extra words to the "wiser"...that's fine..

EVERY hunter is BETTER when hunting with a tack driver vs a lemon shooting 3" groups at 100 yards!!!! PERIOD......its a debatable point if the tack driver helps most hunters......it certain would to the long range shooter.....who is hunting open country and the cover is sparse.

the tool

No one said it was a discussion of how people hunt. I believe he was asking what are the most accurate rifles from the factory AND since he initially was talking about getting a hunting rifle, hes wanting to know what are the most accurate hunting rifles.
So whats your opinion of the best out of the box hunting rifle. Looks like several have been mentioned.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby toolmaker » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:59 am

cluckmeister wrote:
toolmaker wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:

the tool

No one said it was a discussion of how people hunt. I believe he was asking what are the most accurate rifles from the factory AND since he initially was talking about getting a hunting rifle, hes wanting to know what are the most accurate hunting rifles.
So whats your opinion of the best out of the box hunting rifle. Looks like several have been mentioned.

I cant say...id have to have bought several different rifles recently and shot them all to make that answer... I don't mind offering advice I have, but I wont make it up!! I haven't bought a new deer hunting rifle in YEARS! I think the custom and semi custom rifles might rank up there....but there is a lemon in every room full of rifles of the same make...so who knows...

hopefully hell get a consensus of a bunch of guys that narrows his choice down to 3 or 4 guns

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:29 pm

Toolmaker, Im in the same boat you are as I haven't bought a new deer rifle in several years, Ive got way more than I need. Ive got 2 Remington 700s, 2 Winchester Model 70 Featherweights, and 2 Winchester Model 94s. Out of the 6 guns my favorite is the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Plain Barrel, .270 caliber, with a Leupold 4x12 Vari X2 sitting on it.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:24 am

Most of mine are 700 or 700 footprint actions...no flies on a Kimber Montana either.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:50 pm

Browning's on one wall of the safe and Savages on the other. I cover many of the popular calibers too from .17,.223,.243, .270, 7mm, .308, 300wsm .338. Favorite light rifle is Savage 110 in .243 for smaller four leggers and .30 cal stuff is the Browning Abolt 300wsm for bigger critters. All are very accurate with the right ammo. Depends on your price range which one you go with, either way you will be happy.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby Uneasyjmitchell » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:09 am

I like and own several Remi 700 series, but as stated before, almost ANY rifle (with good ammo and dialed in scope) will do the job, especially cold shots, which should pertain to hunting conditions. (Having barrel cold for sighting in first shot and let it cool down before next shot. Multiple shots and "sniping" would need heavy barreled stuff.)
"Blacktooth Grin"
Uneasyjmitchell
hunter

Next

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum