Duck Hunting Forum banner

Caliber Choice

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Soggy Socks 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I just sent my Rem 700 .30-06 into the factory for the last time. When I get it back, I'm selling it. I'm looking into new rifles and don't really need help with brand selection per se, but I was hoping to get some assistance with the caliber choices.

Right now I shoot a .30-06 and It's probably one of the finest cartridges on the planet along with the .270 or 7mm Reg Mag. I was wondering what you guys thought of some of the .308 wildcats such as the 7mm-08. I was thinking having something a little handier in short action would be kinda nice. I'm looking at possibly going elk hunting in Idaho with my brother in the next couple years. Would you guys say that a short-action, shorter barreled rifle would make a big difference or should I just go with a .30-06 again?

I was thinking for rifle choice between the new Mossberg Patriot or the Browning A bolt. Possibly a Savage even though I think they're butt ugly.

#3 ·
Id say a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 270 or 30.06 caliber or Model 70 Featherweight Compact in .308 would be my choice over the A Bolt. Ive have both and prefer the Winchester Featherweight over the Browning although the Browning is a nice gun.

#4 ·
I own a old win 70 .270, Ruger M77 22-250, 1903 30-06 and win M100 308 over the years.
the 30 cal. has lots of bullets the choose from which makes it real handy but the 25 cal. on up will
do the job on deer and a elk with the right ammo and hopefully at 200 yards or less.

Most of todays ammo is way to high in fps and just messes up a lot of meat.... a 30-06 at Krag speeds drops deer just as dead
and you come home with ten pounds of more meat.
New is nice but there are some nice used rifles out there that need some love, also.

A bolt action is nice but today the new rifles just look funny to me but I guess they will last and shoot well?
Good luck.

ps;
It is well know that Idaho Guides have used the .270 with the 150gr bullet for years..........
I load the 140gr AccuBond with 4831 powder for a factory loading.

#5 ·
For all around use and especially elk in a short action caliber I would lean towards the .308 Win if only for the ability to shoot heavier projectiles than the 7mm-08. You can find an '08 load with similar ballistics to the .308 but the larger frontal area and heavier projectile provides that much more energy transfer for larger game like a wapiti. Matter of fact, save for the largest grizzlies the .308 is more than capable for all north American game.

#6 ·
apexhunter said:
For all around use and especially elk in a short action caliber I would lean towards the .308 Win if only for the ability to shoot heavier projectiles than the 7mm-08. You can find an '08 load with similar ballistics to the .308 but the larger frontal area and heavier projectile provides that much more energy transfer for larger game like a wapiti. Matter of fact, save for the largest grizzlies the .308 is more than capable for all north American game.
x2

#7 ·
I wouldn't dismiss the 7mm-08 or .308 for any game in NA, they're both very similar classic cartridges that have been successfully used to kill everything that walks the surface of this planet. The 7mm-08 is the modern equivalent of a 7x57 and the .308 is very close to .30-06 and doesn't give up much except for the meh performance of some heavier bullets.
I won't comment on your firearm selection, in my opinion rifle selection is supremely personal.

#8 ·
If your already set up for 30/06 I would stick with that. Especially if you already have the ammo or if you reload and are set up for that Cal.

The nice thing with a 30/06 is the vast amount of ammo selection. It has a faster twist than the 308 (in most rifles) so you can shoot up to 220gr bullets if you desire. You can also get reduced recoil loads that are similar to a 308 in recoil and performance.

#9 ·
I bought a 7mm-08 after I gave my favorite rifle a 7X57 to my son after he killed his first buck with it. Its a great cartridge I load for it as I do for several others. I would have no problem taking it on an elk hunt for shots within reasonable distances. I'd say for anything except the largest dangerous stuff you would be fine with it. Buddy of mine shot a bull moose with his couple years back with a 140 grn bullet full frontal shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.