taurus 1911

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

taurus 1911

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:41 pm

Any one owned one? They feel pretty well made and do not rattle but how well do they stand up to use? I see them new for $650 with 3 mags and a bunch of gear. I perfer Kimber but thinking of picking one up if they are any good at all. :huh:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:19 pm

Run away.

You can find a nice SA Loaded for what they want for a Taurus. Nice sights, though.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:42 pm

Passed on the taurus and picked up an XD tactical with safety. Will probably not get to shoot it until next month when on vacation.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:22 am

That sounds like a much better buy. :thumbsup:

Hope you enjoy it...
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby firequacker » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:06 am

I have a T 1911 I love it

its a great gun

But you did way much better with the XD i think its hard to beat them guns I carry one every day of my life

scott
firequacker
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:46 pm

:hijacked2:

I am hijacking my own thread not :rofl:

firequacker
Which XD do you carry? I am not looking to buy another handgun until the Kahr P-380 comes out this spring but I have the 5" version and carried it this weekend. It carries nice for a 14 round 45acp and is not overly bulky like I expected it to feel. I am not a fan of 380's but if your in a pair of shorts and no shirt it is hard to hide a 45. :yes:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby firequacker » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:19 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote::hijacked2:

I am hijacking my own thread not :rofl:

firequacker
Which XD do you carry? I am not looking to buy another handgun until the Kahr P-380 comes out this spring but I have the 5" version and carried it this weekend. It carries nice for a 14 round 45acp and is not overly bulky like I expected it to feel. I am not a fan of 380's but if your in a pair of shorts and no shirt it is hard to hide a 45. :yes:

I have the XD 40-4 inch

with a nice holster you cant beat that gun

I also carry that on duty

scott
firequacker
hunter

Postby dpturbo29 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:21 pm

I have to suggest you don't waste your money. I only say this because I already have.

I bought one a month ago and have not been happy with its performance thus far. At roughly 15 yards with the sights properly aligned it shoots about 4" right and 3" low with two different brands of ball ammo. (Winchester White Box and Magtech). Of course I can drift the sight to take care of the right problem, but I shouldn't have to. It looks ridiculous in the hand with the sight drifted that far over too.

I've had a handful of failures to feed as well, but that was with Ranger SXT which some 1911s have issues with.

I think I've narrowed it down to a sloppy barrel bushing and possibly a little too much tolerance in the slide to frame surfaces. If I can get anything out of it it will be going away and I'll be purchasing an XD 45 or possibly an XDm 45 if they come out with one any time soon.

I talked my friend, who was also set on the Taurus, into the XD 45 for the same money and now I'm really feeling a lot of buyer's remorse. His XD is a tackdriver from 25 yards - feeds anything - and holds 13 rounds. I guess we all make mistakes - hopefully you won't.
Simplicity is a sign of intelligence
dpturbo29
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum