Refinishing a pre-64 Model 70

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Refinishing a pre-64 Model 70

Postby Pumpgunner » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:59 pm

Hey everybody, I have a 1959 Winchester M70 in .30-06 that's my main deer and elk rifle. My wife's grandpa bought it new and hunted with it for several years, and when he passed away I inherited it. The barrel and action are in good shape, but the stock has some dings and worn finish and I'd like to refinish it. Will this hurt the value at all? I know with guitars and furniture they're worth more with the original finish than a perfect refinish job, I'm probably going to refinish it anyway but I'm just curious. Thanks for any info!
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby vital_kill » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:45 pm

it will hurt the price if it;s just a DIY renish job. But if you go all out, if will bring the price up. Midwayusa sells the factory pre-64 stain and seal, get that if you want the factory looks.
vital_kill
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:16 pm

Worth way more in original shape to a collector. Joe Blow that wants a nice pre-64 may pay more for a nicely refinished one, though.

I'd leave it alone with the exception of ironing out the dents and dings in the stock.

Now when you shoot out the barrel I would do a full refinish.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks for the info guys, the kit from Midway looks really good. I'm going to go ahead and refinish it, I'm never going to sell it anyway and the value to me is all sentimental, not money. :thumbsup:
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby OkieHunter » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:07 pm

I would leave it alone, I have a 1952 Model 70 308 Win featherweight that has a few dings, the stock's checkering is worn smooth and it has approx 60 % of the blue left but you can just look at it a know if it could only talk the stories it could tell. I think wear is what really makes a rifle really nice looking. :thumbsup:
Never Correct Your Dog When Angry, That is Abuse And They will Never Forget It
OkieHunter
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:08 am

I agree, there's a lot of character in the dings and scratches in the stock. I'm not really concerned with taking out dings and such, there's just some spots where the finish has worn to bare wood and I want to protect it so I can still hunt with it!
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby Rake 'em » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:56 pm

If you don't want to mess with the stock just buy a synthetic stock to drop it in and put up the old stock.
When you shoot em duck's in da face they drop like a rock.....
NRA Life Member
Rake 'em
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum