First time sighting in a gun

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

First time sighting in a gun

Postby Sean » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:04 pm

I got an old .243 from my grampa and going to use it for the first time over Christmas break to go deer hunting. I'm going to the range this weekend to sight it in but I've never actually sighted in a gun. I have heard that you are supposed to shoot a group of 3, make adjustments and then try again but after that I was told to wait a little bit because the hot barrel can make the bullet inaccurate. Is that true? If so, how long should I wait? I will be using the same ammo that I will be hunting with. I have cleaned it thoroughly and this gun hasn't been shot in probably 15+ years.

Also, on the scope it has 2 dials on the top and the right. I would just like to confirm which way they make the cross hairs go. The top makes it go left and right, and the dial on the right makes it go up and down?

Any other sighting in advice would be appreciated.
Sean
hunter

Postby Kurt » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:44 pm

The top makes it go up and down. The one on the right makes it go left and right. if i were you i would find some one that knows what they are doing and ask them to help you.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby Sean » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:58 pm

Yeah that makes sense, hopefully the fellas at the range will be kind enough to help out.

I tried to turn the dial with a coin but it seems to be stuck. I'm afraid to put too much pressure on it fearing I could strip the dial. Is there a special tool I'm supposed to use? I tried to turn it pretty hard both ways but it wouldn't budge. Do you think it is stuck?
Sean
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:33 am

I use a quarter to adjust mine, so it may be stuck. Usually it take a little bit of pressure to turn, but not that much.

If your rifle has not been bore sighted, and even if it has been bore sighted, I might start at a 25yd range to make sure its on paper. Sight it dead on at 25, then move over to the 100 yd range. Some people will do groups of 3 for every adjustment they make. I usually only do this once I feel I'm close to where I want to be, i.e. I'll shoot once then adjust until I get it sighted an inch high at 100 yds, then I'll shoot it 3x to make sure it is in fact sighted in, if it isn't then I'll adjust and shoot 3x more.

If you've never sighted in a gun before, you might want to take an extra box or two of ammo with you, in case it takes you a box to figure things out.

Also, optics are important. If you feel like your scope is trash, have somebody look at it and if necessary replace it. If you buy a scope from a place like Gander MT or your local gun shop, they may mount it and bore sight it in for you.

Other than that, have fun and welcome to the wonderful world of rifle ownership, where you always want another rifle in some other caliber and you hardly know why.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:24 pm

First things first..................

Clean the rifle and barrel ,remove oil fron the barrel and
check for loose screws and that the sight is also tight and the lens
are clean and clear.

Some scopes need to be adjusted to your eye releif , the distance from the scope to your eye, where the picture is clear and not fuzzy.

At the range..start at 25 yards !! Get the bullets on paper, so
you know what is happening. Nothing worse than shooting 3 or more times at 100 yards and not have no holes to show for your
effert.

As for the barrel heating up..............grab the barrel near the end and if it is warm it might be ready.......depends on how hot it is outside.

15 minutes in 80 degrees and only 5 in 35 degree weather. One
reason I test loads in late fall around Oct-Nov.

Don't panic if you get 3" groups with three shot groups, at 100 yards. That is good enough for 250 yard shots if you do your part
with a good 100gr bullet.

Good hunting
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum