From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

357 load warning..........

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:56 pm

Loaded some light mag or some +P 38 loads the other day, for my
Mod 19 ,6" 357 mag S&W.

the load was 38 s&w stainless w/w brass, cci500 primers,
6.5 grains of unique powder and a 125 jhp Hornady xtp bullet
with a light crimp. Vel around 1050 fps.

My 19 will take 8 grs of uniq with a 160 jsp , so this was not a hot load, just testing some medium 38 spl loads out.

I don't know if my guns cylinder is out of round, the gap is off, things don't line up or what, but I was getting...................

Parts of the copper jacket coming back and hitting my cheek , just
deep enough to draw blood.

I wear eye and ear protection (safty glasses) all the time, to be safe and was glad I had them on the other day.

Might have to use the longer 357 cases for any more jacket loads?? Have no idea what caused this to happen.

Just putting this info out there, for any reloaders or shooters that fire +P 125's 38 ammo in a 357.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby holton39 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:24 am

You know...now that you mention it I think I've read somewhere about shooting 125 grain bullets out of a Smith and Wesson 19 isn't a hot idea. I think it had something to do with the gap between the cylinder and the barrel. I can't remember where I read that. I shoot a 19 also, mine is a 4''. Heck of a gun, but I've never shot 125s out of it. Maybe I'm mistaking...just thought I'd mention it.
holton39
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:44 pm

I did a lot of net searching and found out that the smaller bullets
are out of the case before ingaging the lands and this does not let
the bullet center correctly all the time.

The longer 158 bullets are still in the case when they enter the cone area and lands and there is also much less gas and powder
flames to burn at the cone area !!

The less "burn" and "Banging" of the cone area will add many years to the pistol and lead bullets under 900 M Vel can be shot forever........................

Some pistols had a split cone from hot mag Jacket loads after only 500 rounds. I checked mine and it is ok.......( whew...)

S&W also has a dept that will check ,repair and customize your pistol for a minimal cost. 1-800-331-0852

Since my 19 is not taped for optics the only way to go for my aging
eyes is a grip with a laser............ still thinking about that, since the price is up there.
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum