Smith and Wesson Sigma

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Smith and Wesson Sigma

Postby holton39 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:28 am

Anyone have a Smith and Wesson Sigma? I've been reading about them and they sound pretty sweet. I like the price too. If I got one I think I'd want a .40. Might be time to get those Gander gift cards out..lol. Any input?
holton39
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:52 pm

Most gun post state that the 40 is the best load for personal protection with the 45 as the best big load .

Not much out there for the new 357 sig that lets a load like the 357 mag for pistols work in a auto. However there are lots of them being used.

The 380 and 9mm are used mainly for the fire power but they do not have the energy or stopping power of the larger bullets, if you have to shoot through a windshields or lots of clothes and a pea coat !!

The 40 will serve you well.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby fenton_3 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:52 pm

I have a .40 and the .357 sig barrel to switch them as I choose. 40 cal is deffinatly the way to go. .357 Sig is prob to powerful because the risk of over penetration is very high and hitting someone else will mean a big @$$ lawsuit! Unfortunatly we have to consider this because the risk is real. If you are thinking about getting the M&P; I suggest you check out the Glock and all the other Glock clones like the S&W M&P. I have looked at the FNP-40 and I was very impressed. Good price, more Sig like features; which is my favorite gun! Springfield Amory XD's and XDM's seem to be very popular as well. I have zero expirence with them but I am sure someone on the forum will know somthing about them. Good luck on your new purchase!!!
fenton_3
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:15 pm

My buddy has a sigma, I think they're an OK gun. I prefer the XD's as I have shot several and just recently purchased an XD .45. They are great guns for the money and I like the grip safety.

Since you're already spending around $400-$550 on a gun anyways, just get whatever feels best and don't worry about getting the cheapest one.

Go to a pistol range if you can and rent some guns to try. Get whichever one fits and shoots the best.

.40 is a good caliber. Some people complain about the recoil of a .45, but it just depends on what loads you are shooting. Some .45 loads don't kick much more than a 9mm.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby don taylor » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:31 pm

I wouldn't buy a new Sigma for half the price. S&W was giving them away last year with a M&P purchase. They have a bad reputation for being unreliable and I wouldn't own a unreliable handgun.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:10 pm

Most 40's do best with 165 - 180 grain bullets.

The larger bullets need to be set deeper into the case, to feed correctly in a lot of autos, which will also make for lower powder room and lower velosities.

This case does better with powders that take up 75% or more of the case volume, for the best accuracy, however fast powders will
work if that is all you have.

For example if you have win 231 , WSF and 540, the last two should give you better moa's. As with all the other powders,
the med to slower powders should work better, if you are looking
for the best groups.

If you plan to reload.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:38 pm

Don't get a Sigma. They are cheap for a reason. They were sued by Glock because S&W copied they're internal trigger assembly and take down assembly to a "T", Glock collected every cent. The trigger pull is hard and clunky and you can't send it back to Smith for a trigger job because they won't do it. If they fix it they get to pay Glock again. Another thing is firing pins break on those all the time. We get so many Sigmas back at Gander it's not even funny. My advice, spend a little more and get a Springfield XD, S&W M&P, Glock 27, 30, or 22. Those guns won't fail you. They don't feel cheaply made, the Sigmas do. A guy's friend at work actually had a Sigma fail on him when he needed it and his attacker put him in the hospital.

If you're wanting a clunker to take to the range and run ammo through where failing doesn't matter, then go for it. If you're buying something to bet your life on, spend a little more. I always tell people not to be afraid to spend a little money on something they're trusting their life to. If you want something even more reliable you can get a Smith and Wesson 642 Airweight revolver. There is nothing out there more reliable than a revolver and the 642 sells at Gander for $429.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don taylor » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:39 pm

I can tell you've never owned a airweight Preacher. You recommend one. Shoot one of those little suckers 100 times. They kick like heck in .38 and they aren't very accurate. 20 footers at best.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:28 pm

I have the J frame Airlight and fireing 50 rounds of +p at a sitting is enough for me. Does not hurt but is not comfortable either. Shoots 8" group at 20yds which is good anough for a self defense round IMO and it makes a great pocket gun.

On the Sigma, I would not spend my $$ on one, at the range they call them the disposable gun, good for a few thousand rounds then throw them out. I have never owned one so I am talking from others experiences that I shoot IDPA with. If you are not shooting several thousand rounds a year than they might be fine, But still not "self defense" fine.

Below is a Quote from Answers.com
"Under the leadership of Ed Shultz, who became president in 1992, Smith & Wesson introduced the Sigma Series of pistols. Debuting in March 1994, the Sigma Series was the company's first line to feature plastic frames. Glock sued Smith & Wesson over the design of the Sigma, alleging patent infringement and other charges, leading to a 1997 settlement whereby Smith & Wesson agreed to make a multimillion-dollar payment to Glock and to slightly modify the Sigma pistols."

No why would ANYONE put out a gun that they KNOW they are going to get sued over :huh:

I am surprised Keltec has not sued Ruger, Most know the 2 guns I am talking about and they are almost Identical IMO.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:23 pm

That's because Ruger bought Keltec's patent.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:44 am

Preacher1011 wrote:That's because Ruger bought Keltec's patent.

Where did you find this information? All I found when looking at the ruger when it first came out was that the 14 year patent expired on the keltec basic design, I also read that the P38T was not patented and Keltec called it "flattery" when Ruger copied it. but nothing that I could verify.

Just curious?
Last edited by waterfowlhunter on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:19 pm

I've heard it from numerous people at work. One sells at gun shows and has been selling guns now for a very long time. Another custom builds sniper rifles for police departments and sells custom ammunition. I've heard it from others as well.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:23 pm

It appears I've been mistaken. I went and googled it and everything I've found said that Keltec never patented their pistol so Ruger basically just copied it.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Harley Dave » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:19 am

Save up a few bucks more, buy something else, avoid the stigma associated with the Sigma!

I work in firearms sales and hate selling them to people who don't know better.

If law enforcement won't look at them as duty weapons, you know there has to be a reason why.
Your life, liberty, and property are never safe when the Legislature is in session. M.Twain
Harley Dave
hunter

Postby holton39 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:56 am

Well I went to my local Gander here in WI...I wanted to get my hands on one and see how they feel, I looked at the S&W Sigma, the Stoeger Cougar, and a Springfield XD. The Sigma was most comfortable in the hand to me. The Stoeger felt really well made, as did the XD. I've got some thinking to do. Thanks for all the input, appreciate it!
holton39
hunter

Postby FranknBeans » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:31 am

I bought a sub-comp XD9 a few months ago, awesome pistol! It fits my hand better than the Glock without that funky angle to it. Also the grip safety is a good plus too. They strip down to clean almost exactly as a Sig as well. The Sigma's are a junky pistol and cheap for a reason as already stated. It is your decision in the final but I know I sure as heck wouldn't bet my life on that pistol. Spend a few dollars more and atleast get the Springfield. :thumbsup:
Tree Huggers can kick rocks.
FranknBeans
hunter

Postby lameduck » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:14 am

I have a S&W sigma .40 and love it. I did the trigger job in 10 min. which was easy and can be returned to stock in the same amount of time.
lameduck
hunter

I HAVE JUST WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR!!!

Postby legman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:02 pm

Holton ole' boy I have JUST what you're looking for! I have a VERY nice Sigma VE40 for sale with a hip holster and a box of ammo. Call me at 815-973-8128. Here's a link to see the actual gun I have for sale......

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =120160025

Phil in Illinois
In God I trust - all others bring CASH.
legman
Newb

Re: I HAVE JUST WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR!!!

Postby devildog28 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:32 am

legman wrote:Holton ole' boy I have JUST what you're looking for! I have a VERY nice Sigma VE40 for sale with a hip holster and a box of ammo. Call me at 815-973-8128. Here's a link to see the actual gun I have for sale......

Phil in Illinois

Gee one post and it's to hawk something :rolleyes: I'd be wary of contacting this guy holton. His typing is that of a used car salesman.

Sorry mods for the opinion but I'd hate to see someone get scammed.
devildog28
hunter

Re: I HAVE JUST WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR!!!

Postby FranknBeans » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:53 pm

legman wrote:Holton ole' boy I have JUST what you're looking for! I have a VERY nice Sigma VE40 for sale with a hip holster and a box of ammo. Call me at 815-973-8128. Here's a link to see the actual gun I have for sale......

Phil in Illinois

I cann BS on his case just because he said it is very nice LOL. Anyways, did you make a purchase yet?
Tree Huggers can kick rocks.
FranknBeans
hunter

Re: Smith and Wesson Sigma

Postby swampwise » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:26 pm

the biggest problem with a sigma is the internal rails on which the slide rides. most decent polymer-frame pistols have metal rails inserted into the frame so that the slide rides metal on metal, therefore producing less wear. the rails on a sigma are made of the same plastic as the rest of the frame, and so you have the metal slide riding on plastic rails, and it wears really fast. before long, the slide jiggles around on the rails, and thats the reason many sigmas arent very reliable.

buy an xd. :thumbsup:
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum