Question about suppressor...

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Question about suppressor...

Postby AAR » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:39 pm

I am getting another .22 rifle soon, last one I had kind of became my brothers over time. Something I have always wanted to get was a suppressor on one.

the main questions I have are what is the process from the legality standpoint? I see them for sale at gun shows and on gunbroker.com but they mention a few things I don't yet understand.

Do I have to register it with the Feds, and how much would that run about? Seems like the suppressors themselves are pretty costly so before I go off on a tanget of doing everything trying to get a handge on the in's and out's.

Also on the barrel, I assume it would have to be taken to a gunsmith to thread the inside of the barrel to accept the suppressor?

Lastly, do they really quiet a gun down as some say? On friend said his relative had one on a .22 and all you could here was just the action, maybe a little other noise but that was about it.

Thanks,

Eric

http://www.AliveAgainRecreations.com
--Specializing in Waterfowl & Upland Bird Taxidermy--
-----World/International/National/State Awards--------
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby fenton_3 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:57 am

Depends on the state you live in! I live in Missouri and they are now 100% legal to own and install on a firearm. Texas tends to be on the fore front of gun rights, so chances are good it is legal for you as well. Just make sure before you do anything however because I am sure the penalties are very stiff if it is not legal.
fenton_3
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:41 pm

You have to get a class 3 weapons permit here and register your weapon.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby caleb » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:37 pm

200$ tax stamp fee from the ATF, then wait on your paperwork to get processed 2-18 months depending.
caleb
State Moderator

Postby 20bolt » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:39 pm

I am also pretty sure you can only own 1 at a time.

Legally, suppressors also need to be serialized and can only be built by approved companies. This is why its illegal to build one on your own. Kind of like distilling your own booze.

And yes, with a suppressor on a .22 the action is much louder than the bullet. You need to use sub sonic rounds though, because bullets travels at sonic speeds are themselves loud. If you have ever fired CB caps, the sound is comparable, but the action will still cycle.

A guy a knew as a kid had one. I would love to get one myself, but the paperwork and BS I need to go through (x2 now that I am living in Mass) is just way too much effort.

Added:
The suppression works by the law of diminishing returns, so its easy to suppress the first 50% of the noise, and twice as hard to suppress then next 25%. By the time you get to 95% suppression, you are doing some serious engineering.
Last edited by 20bolt on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
20bolt
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:29 pm

Saw a gun show on tv............ .22 to a .308 that felt like a .223.

Custom jobs cost a lot for the tight fit needed to reduce the noise and recoil. They go from 4" to a full barrel on the custom 308.

No prices given out, or requirments...............but the show was
a gas to watch.

No ear plugs needed !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:49 pm

I spent alot to time looking into this before I gave up.

There are pretty much two types of suppressors. Those that scrub the bullet, thereby slowing it down, making it fly wonky, but making the gun all but silent.
And those that are one step past a basic muzzle break, the best of which by using harmonics use first half of the sound shock wave to break up the second half of the sound shock wave.

The gas leaving the barrel is what causes 90% of the recoil, and what causes 99% of the noise. The most basic silencers are just expanded, enclosed containers for the gas to lose pressure.

Its why this monstrosity works
http://www.metrogun.com/

That said, if you have a gun with muzzle break, put a towel around it and fire it. You will be surprised how well this works for not doing much at all.

FYI: Towel might not survive
20bolt
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:22 pm

The ones I have seen are basically a muffler and some can be repacked. they do not last forever and will burn out. I have seen higher end models that tell you the # of rounds they are expected to last for. If you stick to subsonic ammo they last a lot longer than if shooting standard ball ammo. I only know about the ones used on pistols and mainly 45acp. they do still make noise with standard ammo. I have seen them used on a 22-250 and the thing was about 6" Dia and 10" long but worked great. this was 12 to 15 years ago so they might be made differently now.

I now live back in MI and they are 100% Banned. I looked into getting my full auto permit and it was I believe $250 a year and you have to pay that up front. if your local PD decides they do not want you to have it they can say no and there goes your $250 and no permit so I gave up on that too.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:05 pm

like everyone has said, it varies from state to state. however i'm lucky because idaho is pretty relaxed for class III items (short barreled rifles, full auto, supressors, etc.) anyways first thing that you need to do is find a gun shop or someone who is a class III dealer. they will help you with the paperwork and be able to answer your questions better than anyone here. anyways you buy said item and it gets shipped to the dealer. he gets the ser # and everything else that is needed for the paperwork. it gets sent into the feds with $200 to process your paperwork and it is a tax. you will get a tax stamp back in 2-12 months or so (do not lose it... ever.) and then the dealer transfers said class III item to you for a fee. at least that's the way it works here.

for cost of the supressor, it depends... you can get a gem-tech which will be about $325 or so
http://gem-tech.com/outback.html

as for the attachment on the barrel, you just need a machinist or gunsmith to thread the outside of the barrel to whatever threading the supressor you are going to use it. also make sure you get a thread protector for when it isnt in use. for some you can also get a quick disconnect that you permenately attach.

as far as shooting out your supressor, those things are made pretty solid and will last you for a long time if properly taken care of. good luck :thumbsup:

oh and here is a video of me and the walther. this is normal .22 ammo and not the sub-sonic stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrGBZopnY1k
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:39 pm

20bolt wrote:I spent alot to time looking into this before I gave up.

There are pretty much two types of suppressors. Those that scrub the bullet, thereby slowing it down, making it fly wonky, but making the gun all but silent.
And those that are one step past a basic muzzle break, the best of which by using harmonics use first half of the sound shock wave to break up the second half of the sound shock wave.

The gas leaving the barrel is what causes 90% of the recoil, and what causes 99% of the noise. The most basic silencers are just expanded, enclosed containers for the gas to lose pressure.

Its why this monstrosity works
http://www.metrogun.com/

That said, if you have a gun with muzzle break, put a towel around it and fire it. You will be surprised how well this works for not doing much at all.

FYI: Towel might not survive

Have you ever used that metro gun thing? I've thought about getting one to shoot at doves so the law doesn't get called on me.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AAR » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it :thumbsup: Probably check into a little further for the TX laws. Be really cool to have one just for the novelty of it, that and a 50 cal of course :hammer:

Eric

http://www.AliveAgainRecreations.com
--Specializing in Waterfowl & Upland Bird Taxidermy--
-----World/International/National/State Awards--------
AAR
Forum Moderator

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum