Best Handgun? Best Rifle? Best Shotgun?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Postby pennsyltucky » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:11 pm

the 1911 may be old and "wonderful", but its completely worthless to me. it would be so far down my list of guns, that i would have to win a big lottery to ever bother buying one. if it isnt for hunting, or it doesnt fit in my pocket, i cant justify owning it. 1911 does neither of those things in my opinion. what is it for? its sole purpose is a person killer/ego booster, isnt it? what else does it do? if you were on a pistol deer hunt, how far down the list is it? at the bottom... if you want a nice light concealed carry arm, how far down is it? pretty far, really.
sure its a great design, but for real life, its purpose is nearly nil... for a carry arm, its just a "status symbol", and as a hunting arm....i suppose u could sharpen the slide and lash it to a stick??? :rolleyes: im sure this will ruffle a few feathers, and im a little excited to see how mad a few of you get, but im a realist. if we are talking about the best design in handguns over all time? maybe a real gun with enuf power to kill something larger than a rabbit, and still fit nicely in a holster?

Image

thats it for me :biggrin: design, size, caliber, weight, strength, and even great looks :thumbsup: if you miss shootin pop cans off a log with ur 1911, just get ya some cowboy 45lc loads, and go to town :yes:

for a carry gun, the little bersa thunder380 is my favorite. cheap, reliable, very accurate for a "slidey-top" and its so small and light it can be concealed in the summer.
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
User avatar
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:21 pm
Location: stoneboro, PA


Postby ajmorell » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:29 pm

Penny how's the recoil on that bad boy with 454 Casull? I'm debating whether or not to go with the Ruger SuperRedhawk in 454 Casull as a hunting piece (course it would be the 7.5" barrel and recoil would be much less than the snub nose) or a Glock 19 for a carry piece. I already have a GP100 .357 so I'm leaning towards the latter.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1668
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Postby bluelund79 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:20 pm

Rifle-M16/M4-and AR varients(can go through alot of caliber choices then

Pistol-any 1911 style

Shotgun-Remington 870-disagree all you want, its still around and selling...
bluelund79
hunter
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:17 pm
Location: Kingwood, TX

Postby pennsyltucky » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:10 pm

aj, ive shot both the alaskan and the longer tubes. the alaskan has a little more flip, but its easy to control because there isnt a huge heavy barrel to stop. its just a quick snap. the over all recoil is about the same, with the alaskan being more "up" and the long tubes being much more "back". i think the speed loss in the shorter (and lighter) gun probably is what equals it out a bit. as long as u hold it right, so ur wrist goes with it instead of breaking, its fun

the 9 1/2" gun was the easiest to shoot, but beat on the bones in my wrist the most. my right wrist was sore the next day. the alaskan is so much more fun to shoot. its not near as bad as i thot it would be. one-handed shooting with slightly hot 45's is a blast :biggrin: the 7 1/2 is the one i have done the least shooting with because i dont know anyone who has one. the one i shot at the range was about the same as the 9 1/2. probably a little different but too hard to tell without the side x side comparo... :biggrin: :hijacked:
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
User avatar
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:21 pm
Location: stoneboro, PA

Re: Best Handgun? Best Rifle? Best Shotgun?

Postby lockedup » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:30 am

Glock 23

Remington Model 700- .243

Beretta 390

...I win
Harvest 'em!!!
User avatar
lockedup
hunter
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Western MD

Re: Best Handgun? Best Rifle? Best Shotgun?

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:59 am

COlt 1911
Remington 700 30-06
H&K Super Black Eagle
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
User avatar
jaysweet3
hunter
 
Posts: 8837
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:42 am
Location: N. Illinois

Re: Best Handgun? Best Rifle? Best Shotgun?

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:44 pm

There are a lot of great NEW guns on the market that will put the hurt on the old guns, but the best
"Oldie but Goodies" in my book,are............

1911

Win mod 70 pre64

Browning A-5
User avatar
Sagebrush
hunter
 
Posts: 4806
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:28 pm
Location: Reno Nev.

Re: Best Handgun? Best Rifle? Best Shotgun?

Postby muddydog » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:11 pm

1. Gov. model 1911
2. Rem. 700
3. Rem 870
muddydog
hunter
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Best Handgun? Best Rifle? Best Shotgun?

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:34 pm

For me it is this if I could own only one of each

HK USP series handguns (I personaly stick with the 45's)
Benelli SBE Shotguns
Browning A-Bolt
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI

Re: Best Handgun? Best Rifle? Best Shotgun?

Postby heels0303 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:54 pm

My .2 cents....

Glock 19

Beretta Xtrema 2

Browning A-bolt (7mm or 300)
heels0303
hunter
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:23 pm

Re: Best Handgun? Best Rifle? Best Shotgun?

Postby tealtamer » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:09 am

Pistol-Colt 1911, revolver-Colt Python. Shotgun-Double--L.C. Smith, Auto- A-5. Rifle-Weatherby MK V (.300 Weatherby)
tealtamer
hunter
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:28 am
Location: Ga.

Re:

Postby devildog28 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:03 pm

pennsyltucky wrote:the 1911 may be old and "wonderful", but its completely worthless to me. it would be so far down my list of guns, that i would have to win a big lottery to ever bother buying one. if it isnt for hunting, or it doesnt fit in my pocket, i cant justify owning it. 1911 does neither of those things in my opinion. what is it for? its sole purpose is a person killer/ego booster, isnt it? what else does it do? if you were on a pistol deer hunt, how far down the list is it? at the bottom... if you want a nice light concealed carry arm, how far down is it? pretty far, really.
sure its a great design, but for real life, its purpose is nearly nil... for a carry arm, its just a "status symbol", and as a hunting arm....i suppose u could sharpen the slide and lash it to a stick??? :rolleyes: im sure this will ruffle a few feathers, and im a little excited to see how mad a few of you get, but im a realist. if we are talking about the best design in handguns over all time? maybe a real gun with enuf power to kill something larger than a rabbit, and still fit nicely in a holster?



A lot of target shooting is done with them and they're not any harder to conceal than other full frames. I personally carry one hunting and would trust it against a mad boar.
User avatar
devildog28
hunter
 
Posts: 2273
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Katy, TX

Re: Best Handgun? Best Rifle? Best Shotgun?

Postby MissedAgain » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:08 pm

3 guns for life. All situations.

Shotgun: 870

Rifle: Win 70

Pistol: Colt or Kimber 1911
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter
 
Posts: 1164
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:41 pm
Location: Orlando, FLorida

Re: Best Handgun? Best Rifle? Best Shotgun?

Postby NickK » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:25 am

Handgun: 1911
Rifle: Mauser 98
Shotgun: Winchester Model 12.
Love to duck hunt :)
User avatar
NickK
hunter
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:52 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Best Handgun? Best Rifle? Best Shotgun?

Postby ajmorell » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:04 pm

This thread is old, but I'm going to change some of my original opinions.


While the 1911 is tried and true, I'd take a wheel-gun over it any day. The wheel-gun has been around a whole lot longer and is arguably more reliable. Caliber-wise doesn't really matter....whatever you can handle is best.

Shotgun - I love the sxs and the one I listed is one of my favorites but probably not the best shotgun ever. I would have to argue that the 870 is one of the best, but you also wouldn't catch me with one made in the last 5-10 years.

Rifle - Probably a lever-gun. Caliber-wise I'd make the same argument I made about the wheel-gun. Bolt-actions like the Rem 700 are certainly tried and true but I just don't have the experience with them.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1668
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: Best Handgun? Best Rifle? Best Shotgun?

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:53 pm

ajmorell wrote:This thread is old, but I'm going to change some of my original opinions.


While the 1911 is tried and true, I'd take a wheel-gun over it any day. The wheel-gun has been around a whole lot longer and is arguably more reliable. Caliber-wise doesn't really matter....whatever you can handle is best.

Shotgun - I love the sxs and the one I listed is one of my favorites but probably not the best shotgun ever. I would have to argue that the 870 is one of the best, but you also wouldn't catch me with one made in the last 5-10 years.

Rifle - Probably a lever-gun. Caliber-wise I'd make the same argument I made about the wheel-gun. Bolt-actions like the Rem 700 are certainly tried and true but I just don't have the experience with them.


OK, pump shotgun or sxs, either one should be reliable, so I won't argue with you here. Pump to me wins based on capacity. I will still stick with the A5, even though no auto will be as reliable.

1911 action is almost 100 years old, so although I agree that a wheel gun would be more reliable, I don't know that its that much more reliable. Just my opinion.

I will also question switching to a lever gun. The first bolt action, albeit a single shot, was invented in 1829. The first lever gun was invented in 1860. The bolt action is a much simpler and hence much more reliable design. The standard of modern bolt actions, the 98 mauser, made it through 2 world wars. Most modern bolt actions are based off of the 98 mauser.

Lever actions are limited on what ammo they can shoot due to a tubular magazine, its a "more" complicated action, and the tubular magazine can also mess with the harmonics of the barrel limiting range. Granted, lever guns do have a higher rate of fire, but I don't feel that they are superior in regards to reliability.

All that being said, next gun i want to get is a lever 30-30 or 45-70, so I don't think they are bad guns at all, but I don't feel they are in any way superior to a bolt action. If I could only own one or the other, it would be a mauser action.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
User avatar
GroundSwatter
hunter
 
Posts: 3643
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:22 pm
Location: GTMO from NE Texas

Re: Best Handgun? Best Rifle? Best Shotgun?

Postby ajmorell » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:16 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:I will also question switching to a lever gun. The first bolt action, albeit a single shot, was invented in 1829. The first lever gun was invented in 1860. The bolt action is a much simpler and hence much more reliable design. The standard of modern bolt actions, the 98 mauser, made it through 2 world wars. Most modern bolt actions are based off of the 98 mauser.

Lever actions are limited on what ammo they can shoot due to a tubular magazine, its a "more" complicated action, and the tubular magazine can also mess with the harmonics of the barrel limiting range. Granted, lever guns do have a higher rate of fire, but I don't feel that they are superior in regards to reliability.

All that being said, next gun i want to get is a lever 30-30 or 45-70, so I don't think they are bad guns at all, but I don't feel they are in any way superior to a bolt action. If I could only own one or the other, it would be a mauser action.


I agree with the points you made on the lever action. They may not have been around as long, but bolt actions didn't tame the wild west either :biggrin:

I like lever-guns because they have that "cool" factor.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1668
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: Best Handgun? Best Rifle? Best Shotgun?

Postby CallinForTheFall » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:22 pm

Well i cant believe none of you picked a winchester model 12 for the BEST SHOTGUN EVER. Its hows the west was won my friends i have one made in 1897 and still shoot it to this day and my brother has one made in 1918 and still shoots it to this day. It was the pioneer to all shotguns.

pistols - anything in a 45 caliber

shotguns- Winchester Model 12

rifles- lol silly question the ALL-AMERICAN 30-30 Lever Action or in my case the winchester model 94 32 special lever action

p.s- how can new guns be on the best list? It surely has to be proven first before it can become the best. Lets see these new "plastic" guns last over a hundred yrs an keep on firing
I should be a banker because im reall good at stackin the bills.
CallinForTheFall
hunter
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Best Handgun? Best Rifle? Best Shotgun?

Postby BullCajun » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:22 pm

1911 COLT GOLD CUP 45 ACP
WIN. MODEL 70 FEATHERWEIGHT 30 CAL.
WIN. SUPER X MODEL1
BullCajun
hunter
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:40 pm
Location: SouthwestLouisiana

Re:

Postby Sandman3400 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:31 am

apexhunter wrote:Well, I don't know about them being the "best" but as far as longevity, quality of design and manufacture and desirability in the market I'd say:

Pistol- 1911 (original or MOST of the quality variants of today)

Rifle- Pre 64 Winchester (or most any quality built mauser action)

Shotgun- Browning A-5


Think I have to agree with Apex, although I would have to give consideration to the M1 for rifle. In the day of bolt guns in the military, it changed things forever.
Real men hunt with Chessies!
User avatar
Sandman3400
hunter
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:46 pm
Location: Denham Springs, LA

Re:

Postby lunatic » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:30 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:Apex, I agree with you so much its ridiculous. Longevity says a lot about a design.

However I'm unsure what Fenton meant by this thread, are these the best guns for defense, hunting, etc?

Pistol - 1911

Rifle - 98 Mauser Action (since most bolt action rifles are based off of this design)

Shotgun - Browning A5


Got more than one each
"Semper Fi"
lunatic
hunter
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:21 pm
Location: The Wet Side of Washington

Previous

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests