What is the best .17 rifle for the $?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

What is the best .17 rifle for the $?

Postby spankustang » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:48 pm

Looking to purchase a .17 rifle, prefer a semi automatic. What is the best .17 on the market for the money?
08 totals including early goose season.
24 Canada Geese, 58 Gadwalls, 10 Mallards, 3 Widgeon, 1 GW Teal, 1 BW Teal, 12 Hooded Mergansers, 8 Shovelers, 1 Ringneck
spankustang
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:58 pm

i have a Savage .17 HMR with a Nikon 3x9x40mm scope.

it is very accurate and alot of fun to hunt with and shoot.
The accu-trigger that my rifle has is awesome and much better than the triggers on a few of the other rifles i checked out.

The Henry GoldenBoy is also very nice. a friend of mine bought one and it is truly a joy to shoot. But if you want to mount a scope on a rifle i'd go the savage route
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:00 pm

• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:53 pm

If I had to do it over I would probably buy a Savage similar to LA's. My squirrel/varmint/whatever gun is a Marlin 882SSV 22WMR (I purchased this right before 17s really came into popularity, otherwise I would have probably bought a 17). I know you said semi-auto but with the price of .17 ammo you might want to re-think that. My only complaint with my Marlin is the trigger, which from what I've heard, is a pretty common problem. I fixed the trigger issue with a little polishing and slight modification. Here is the way my 22 looks now. I just got the new scope on it...with the previous 3-9x40 I was shooting quarter-sized groups @ 100 yards. It will soon be getting a laminate stock to replace the synthetic one. Good luck with your search, I would suggest checking out what your sporting goods shop has in stock and seeing what feels best to you.

Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby apache7673 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:53 pm

My vote is for the Savage. I bought one in the synthetic and stainless and one in synthetic and blued. They both shoot very well with a variety of ammo.
apache7673
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:08 am

Which flavor .17 are you looking for?

Answers vary, depending on what you are after.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:28 pm

BTVS Savage .17HMR. Nearly perfect out of the box, just dont sight it in a breeze. I made that mistake and wall all pissed off for a few days because I thought I got a lemon. Turns out, I am just and ass, but now I can shoot primers out of 12g shells at 75 yrs.

Does anyone actually shoot the shorts? The HMR has clear advantages over the 22 Mag, (and admittedly disadvantages) but the Mach 2s just seem like more expensive .22-long rounds with less options for bullet type/purpose.
20bolt
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:46 pm

20bolt wrote:BTVS Savage .17HMR. Nearly perfect out of the box, just dont sight it in a breeze. I made that mistake and wall all pissed off for a few days because I thought I got a lemon. Turns out, I am just and ass, but now I can shoot primers out of 12g shells at 75 yrs.

Does anyone actually shoot the shorts? The HMR has clear advantages over the 22 Mag, (and admittedly disadvantages) but the Mach 2s just seem like more expensive .22-long rounds with less options for bullet type/purpose.

My g/f's grandpa has a .17 Mach 2 and loves it. I guess I don't see the argument for it but he claims that he has taken squirrels at 100 yards with it (don't know if there's any truth to that claim). I think he told me he shoots about 100 squirrels a year or so with it.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Buick_C » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:08 pm

I'd definetly go the Savage M93R17 route with this one. I pick mine up tommarow morning. They run about $250. Can't beat that price.

The only thing that I dislike is that I have not been able to find a magazine larger than 5 rounds for this gun.

If you are looking down the Semi-auto route then expect to pay much more. You could buy 3 savages for the price of a semi-auto .17. There are not nearly as many semis on the market.
"Maybe instead of buying more guns you should enjoy the ones you already have!" -Hank Hill
Buick_C
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:57 pm

Buick_C wrote:I'd definetly go the Savage M93R17 route with this one. I pick mine up tommarow morning. They run about $250. Can't beat that price.

The only thing that I dislike is that I have not been able to find a magazine larger than 5 rounds for this gun.

If you are looking down the Semi-auto route then expect to pay much more. You could buy 3 savages for the price of a semi-auto .17. There are not nearly as many semis on the market.

5 shots should equal 5 kills with that gun. I thought the same thing when I bought my .22 with a 7 round clip, but in 5 years I have yet to completely empty the clip while hunting.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby REDGUN » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:29 am

A friend and I both bought Ruger 10/22 magnums and turned them into 17 HMR's as we got the money.

And you can be shooting the 22 WMR as you are rounding up the 17 HMR parts.

My gun ended up with a Clark barrel, Hogue stock and a Volquartson trigger. Shoots under an inch @ 100 yards and will shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger.

REDGUN
REDGUN
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:13 pm

I have not personally shot the Mach 2 but have a bunch of rounds through my HMR and can say that it is very deadly on squirrels at 100+ yards (head shots only if you want any meat). As far as semi auto vs. bolt goes, I much prefer the bolt as they are cheaper and more accurate...plus just how many times do you do a double tap at .17 distances?

My rifle is the Marlin VSS which is an absolute tack driver (I can shoot the primer out of spent shotgun shells at 75-100 yards in calm winds). With the bull barrel it is heavier than the Savage and other makes, but I normally shoot squirrels from a tower stand I use for deer hunting so carrying it isn't that much of a chore. The extra weight helps make it a great target/bench rifle when we are shooting for smallest groups for $5 per person.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:59 am

Since OP has not been back to clarify....I'm gonna say my favorite is the .17 Remington.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:50 pm

:lol: Thats what I was thinking to. Talk about greased lightning. I shot one that had pearl inlays in the stock and pistol cap. It had a fixed 10 power Swarovski. Talk about tack driver.

Another friend has a Remington 700 BDL in .17 rem and it shoots very well.

I wouldnt recommend any other .17.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:55 pm

I'd like to build a .17 Remmy, but too many irons in the fire and not enough cash. That one is gonna have to be way down the road.

4300+ fps ain't too shabby...
bgoldhunter
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum