Well after all the thinking I finally got a rifle!

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Well after all the thinking I finally got a rifle!

Postby devildog28 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:55 pm

Marlin XLR .308 express
:thumbsup:

These are some grouping shots I did today at 100 yards. I was using the old style iron sights I'm not used to, instead of the military style peep sights I'm used to, but this gun is a tack driver!!! I think I should've shot slower because after while the thermals off the barrel started affecting accuracy a little. :rofl: The .308 round it uses is a smudge less powerful than the win .308 (i think 100 fps less).

Everyone at the range thought it was just a run of the mill 30-30 :yes:
devildog28
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:41 pm

Save every piece of brass you get. Look at Ghost ring sights if you want an upgrade. They have what your looking for Ill bet. Also they have a scope base that will accomodate both the ghost ring sights and a normal low mounted scope. Im not a scout mounted scope guys so this is a good thing to me.

Also you are in luck if you reload, because Hornady just released the FTB's to reloaders.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:07 pm

I've already thought about the brass for reloading. Is it going to be cheaper than buying factory ammo? Ammo for this gun is looking a small problem because everywhere I go seems not be able to keep it on the shelf! That's a good thing though, it means that Hornandy will keep making it :thumbsup:
devildog28
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:53 pm

Nice gun and nice shooting! I like that color combo as well. Not my style, but very nice. I'd stick a 2x7x32 with the offset base and leave those irons.

Is there a sibling that can be trimmed or sized to that caliber or is it totally original?
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jrockncash » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:14 pm

Reloading should be cheaper how much depends on what you are shooting. The Hornadys seem to be very fairly priced. I dont remember off the top of my head what the .308 is based on. I can go look though.

Don good call on the scope situation. I have that exact setup on my levergun. I would prefer the ghostrings with quickdetach bases for the scope. But the old style has served me very well.

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

jrockncash
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:23 pm

don taylor wrote:Nice gun and nice shooting! I like that color combo as well. Not my style, but very nice. I'd stick a 2x7x32 with the offset base and leave those irons.

Is there a sibling that can be trimmed or sized to that caliber or is it totally original?

Thanks for the compliment don! It was hilarious sitting a couple benches down from a group of guys that each took turns trying to group some kind of upper sized caliber rifle with a huge scope on it :biggrin: And here I am with an iron sighted levergun plinking away. :yes:

As for the gun there's two models that shoot the Marlin .308 express. The one pictured is the XLR with a 24'' barrel. The other one the shoots this round is the MX model. It's got a 22'' barrel and is blued w/ walnut stocks.
devildog28
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:37 pm

Looks like its based on a .307 win? Good luck making cases. :rofl: Just keep the brass you got.

Good article about it here.http://www.chuckhawks.com/hunting_308Marlin.htm

jrockncash
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:36 pm

jrockncash wrote:Looks like its based on a .307 win? Good luck making cases. :rofl: Just keep the brass you got.

Good article about it here.http://www.chuckhawks.com/hunting_308Marlin.htm

You're right it was a good article. I'm agree that this gun will definatly reach out and touch something accuratly! Going to a bigger range tommorrow so we'll see just how she does. I post up my targets for others to judge.
devildog28
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum