Stag lower vs. M&P lower

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Stag lower vs. M&P lower

Postby Buick_C » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:02 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the M&P lower? I have heard a lot of great thing about the Stag lower but Stag is supposedly back ordered several months now. There are several M&P lowers instock at the local shop. Any input. Thanks.
"Maybe instead of buying more guns you should enjoy the ones you already have!" -Hank Hill
Buick_C
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:36 am

I have used just about all brands of lowers, a LOT of them come from the same machine shop but with different brand stamps on them. They are all Mil-spec and you should not have any issues with any of them. In My experience the RRA and bushmasters fit tight on most all uppers, the DPMS and armalites have the most slop between the uppers and lowers. I have an M&P I am buliding now and it is about equal to the Bushmaster and RRA in fit and finish. I just 0rdered 3 more lowers for $85 each with a group of guys that placed a big order, but we have about a 4 month wait to get them.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Buick_C » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:58 pm

Thanks for the info. I ended up buying the M&P lower but for a lot more than I really wanted to spend. Looking at possibly and RRA lower parts kit.

one more question. the m&p 15, does it matter whether I buy a small pin trigger kit or a large pin? thanks.
"Maybe instead of buying more guns you should enjoy the ones you already have!" -Hank Hill
Buick_C
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:47 pm

Small.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jrockncash » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:17 pm

How big of an order did you have to place to get them for 85$? :eek:

If you were going to go with the cheapest possible setup what would you pick?

Del-Ton has upper w/kits for 480. And most lowers im seeing are around 200 bucks.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:11 pm

It was a group order and I did not place it so I do not know how many were ordered. It is causting us another $10 each lower for the transfre fee once they arrive so it will run $95 each now. the problem is that there are no lower kits available to put them together.

Right now it is cheaper to buy an AR-15 at Gander mountain or Dunhams than try to build one. I have seen them in the $900 range. I just bought a DPMS from an auction that was new for $750.

The last one I built cost me $650 with a match trigger, now it looks like it will be in the $900 range with a match trigger. I hate the standard ar triggers and will not use them on any gun I build.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum