6.8 SPC

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

6.8 SPC

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:39 am

Any one hunting with this yet? I was going to build a 6.8 AR then I see this new 30 remington that just came out for the AR-15 platform. now I might be switching to the 30cal over the 6.8. I am just looking for a bit more punch than the 223 for pigs and deer size critters at close range. No I do not like the 7.62x39.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Major Woods » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Got my R-15 a couple months ago and was just out yesterday trying some handloads for accuracy testing.

I was sold on the 6.5mm Grendel upper but now I'll have to research the 30 Rem upper.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:54 pm

Hows that Remington shoot? At first Bushmaster was making them but now I am told that they have contracted DPMS to build the rifles for them. I have several and one is the Bushmaster Varminter. it will shoot dime size or smaller 10 shot groups all day @ 100 yds. I use Benchmark and varget but get great groups with several hodgdon powders.

I am looking at the 30 remington too but I hate jumping on something that might not last.

Also looking at the 450 bushmaster and 50 beowulf (spelling?)
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby msmall » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:47 am

I purchased a 6.8 upper last year and used it this year on deer. I loaded it with Remington 115 gr bullets. It did a pretty good job on deer but if I had the choice now I think I would go with a .300 wisper. I am planning on using it again this spring on hogs and hopefully it will put em down.

msmall
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:34 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:Hows that Remington shoot? At first Bushmaster was making them but now I am told that they have contracted DPMS to build the rifles for them. I have several and one is the Bushmaster Varminter. it will shoot dime size or smaller 10 shot groups all day @ 100 yds. I use Benchmark and varget but get great groups with several hodgdon powders.

I am looking at the 30 remington too but I hate jumping on something that might not last.

Also looking at the 450 bushmaster and 50 beowulf (spelling?)

The rifle shoots nice.
I was getting 1.5" @ 100y the first time shooting it. I let a guy at the range try it out and he shot a 5 round group of .625, I guess I should practice shooting a little more :huh:

My load is 25.5g of H4895 with a standard 55FMJ bullet, 3200fps.

I hear you about jumping on the 30Rem band wagon, let other people be the guinea pig.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum