1903 Springfield

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

1903 Springfield

Postby jeff_osu » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:56 pm

Is there anyone manufacturing 03 Springfields these days? I don't want an old one, I'd like a more recent one with the same design, i.e. not a sport rifle. I looked online and all I see are CMP ones that run ~$3k, I want to use it not hang it on a wall.
jeff_osu
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:25 am

CMP are different grades. I could be wrong but a rack or service grade is usable for a lot cheaper.
devildog28
hunter

Postby fenton_3 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:16 am

to my knowledge no one is making new 03's, but you can find them at guns shows for a decent price sometimes. Most of the time they want an arm and leg! CMP did have some but I know they are getting very low, so if you want one jump at the chance now. I bought a M1 Garand from the CMP and the process is pretty easy and I love my Garand!
fenton_3
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:14 pm

fenton_3 wrote:to my knowledge no one is making new 03's, but you can find them at guns shows for a decent price sometimes. Most of the time they want an arm and leg! CMP did have some but I know they are getting very low, so if you want one jump at the chance now. I bought a M1 Garand from the CMP and the process is pretty easy and I love my Garand!

Don't you have to take a test a range? The eligability requirements confuse me a little. It says being a veteran meets a requirement, but it also mentions having to be affliated with an organization.
devildog28
hunter

Postby fenton_3 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:44 pm

Go to www.odcmo.com; the process is spelled out pretty good. At the time I have my C&R FFl, so all I had to do was join a CMP affaliated club. Check out the ATF website for details on the C&R FFL; it basically allows you to buy Militay Surplus rifles. Also if you are military, ex military, or law enforcement the rules are a little different. If you dont want to do the events; which I think is required to purchase just get the C&R FFL. It cost $30 and takes about a month. The form is very simple to complete and if you can legally own a firearm you can get a C&R. The CMP does have a lot of red tape, but it is not that bad and the M1's are great! I bought the rack gread for $425 and it shoots great. I did have to replace the stock with a Boyds replacment but that only cost $110 from Midway USA. Sure beats paying $800 to $1,000 for the same thing at Cabelas. I have asked and the get all the M1's from the CMP.
fenton_3
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:10 pm

I'm former military so i'll have to call. I'm going to get one of the $600 ones later this year when I get some extra cash.
devildog28
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum