Need ammo recommendations for pistols

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Need ammo recommendations for pistols

Postby 12gaugeLarry » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 am

Hi everyone, I hope you can help me out here. My 20 year old supply of hollow point ammunition is oxidizing badly and needs to be replaced immediately. Back then I went with Federal and Corbon because they were rated highest for One-Shot-Stops. I'm having trouble finding defensive handgun ammo recommendations or where to buy from in bulk. I need your suggestions for best handgun ammo in popular calibers and where to buy it in bulk for the best prices. (This is going to be very expensive.) Thank you
Larry
12gaugeLarry
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:19 am

Defense bullets are in short order. I was able to get some Hornady XTP HPs from Cablea's in .38. I ended up paying $15 for 100 because I couldn't find it anywhere else.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:41 pm

Don't know if you can buy them in bulk, but Speer Gold Dots are the way to go IMO.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:48 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:Don't know if you can buy them in bulk, but Speer Gold Dots are the way to go IMO.

You can buy Gold Dots, but they are impossible to find. Same with Golden Sabres
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:31 pm

We get them in at Gander all the time, Gold Dots that is. I just picked some up today.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby devildog28 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:02 pm

Hornady JHP custom rounds, Federal hydra-shocks, and Remington Golden Sabres.

Since those rounds you have in storage are going to waste, just shoot them all of in a blaze of glory before it becomes unsafe to shoot them :yes:
devildog28
hunter

Postby jph_125 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:28 pm

Just go to www.ammunitiontogo.com . They will have bulk ammo. :thumbsup:
jph_125
hunter

Postby don taylor » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:35 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:Don't know if you can buy them in bulk, but Speer Gold Dots are the way to go IMO.

GD's are excellent rounds. Designed to penetrate windshields better. I also like those low flash tap hornady rounds for the .45 Nice for the nightstand and low recoil so wifey can shoot it more than once.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:41 pm

If I'm not mistaken the FBI uses it as their duty round. I know it was one of the few rounds that expanded after going through clothing on the box o' truth tests that I linked to in the Honey Hole. I picked some up for reloading awhile back. I'm waiting to find some Vihtavuori powder before I reload them though.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Buick_C » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:55 pm

jph_125 wrote:Just go to www.ammunitiontogo.com . They will have bulk ammo. :thumbsup:

ammo to go is a great website. I've bought a ton from them recently. They just don't have much for reloading.
"Maybe instead of buying more guns you should enjoy the ones you already have!" -Hank Hill
Buick_C
hunter

Re: Need ammo recommendations for pistols

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:42 am

My carry guns are loaded with Golden Sabre (the bonded versions) or the speer gold dots. A rule of thumb is to carry what your local police carrys. Kind of dumb I know but in my CCW class and several other instructors I talk with all recommend this as do the lawyers that attend these classes. the reason being is that IF it is used and IF the family tries to sue you for defending yourself they can not use the tactic that you chose the ammo in your gun specifically to kill someone. you chose it because that is what the police use to defend themselves. I also like the new hornady TAC ammo but thru testing have decided that the Federal Hydra shok is useless IMO. The thing you need to consider is what ammo shoots reliably in your gun and is accurate enough for a defensive situation usually 7yds or less.

Every so often I see deals on 1000 rounds of gold dot where the lot was rejected by a PD or is being sold with a stamp on it indicating "not for law enforcement use" which I am guseeing that it did not meet some spec. it is usually in a different, kind of plain box and sells cheep if you can find it. I had some and it all shot fine.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:04 am

Most ammo makers have bullets that will do a good job, but some are better than others.

Gold Sabers have a tendancy to seperate..........

Hornady xtp with the large HP are ok but the small fphp are not as good.

Speer Gold dots are the top of the line and are used by the FBI and most law officers.

The Winchester silver tips are also a quality bullet..............

I have not tested the Hydo shoks.

If you shoot a 38.the 158 lead HP is what the police used before all the "New improved"
bullets of today came out, since the round nose just poked holes and did not expand.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:36 pm

If you have a 38 here is some interresting fired bullet data...........

handgunsmag.com pocket full of dymamite

stevespages.com 38 spl
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum