.327 Magnum

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

.327 Magnum

Postby DUKHTR » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:48 am

I do not check this forum, so if I am recalling an earlier discussion let me know.

I have been looking at the new cartridge from Federal, along with the Ruger revolver in .327 magnum. It appears to be a super package for ease of carry, less recoil, extra loaded round and efficient knockdown power. Your thoughts? I am considering trading my carry .38 for one.

I ask because I am a bit leary of new things and their ability to catch on and be something. I know the .17 and even the 3.5" shotshell were mere blips for awhile and now they are hot and every manufacturer is into them - both with guns and ammo. Do you believe the .327 will gain in popularity and productivity as well? I certainly don't want to be limited in future and get caught up in a blitz that never materializes.

Lastly, I have not seen any output regarding practice with base .32 ammo. Is this possible with the .327?

Thanks for your input!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:32 am

Its a relatively new round, so I don't know how much feedback you're going to get, but I personally would hold off. I've seen too many rounds turn into fads and fade into obscurity after a while. 38 special, 357 magnum, those will be around for years to come. 327, who knows??
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:59 pm

I'm with Ground Swatter. It might get going and be a round people like. Whether it will make it or not I don't know. What I do know is what Ground Swatter said, the .357 and 38 will be around forever and you will always find ammo for it. The oddballs no matter how popular will always be hard to find ammo for. The beauty of the .357 is it's versatility. You can shoot .38's or .357 mags from it. Another thing about new rounds is that the oddballs always cost a ton more than the popular stuff.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Re: .327 Magnum

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:50 pm

The 327 is a light recoil load ment for ladys or people that do not like recoil.

It can not compare to a .357 cal bullet,when it comes to maximum penetration and
knock down energy, no matter what the adds say.

Today with the Speer 125 and 135 Gold Dot bullets, the 38 special with a 830 fps velosity
will meet the requirements of the Law officers of today in all test.

A 158 lead HP in a 2" snubby will also work for self defence .

However it is a lot better than a regular .32 loading or smaller bullet and may need two
or more hits to stop an attacker, one reason the lawmen prefer a 38 for carry , as a minimum.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:14 pm

I too am looking at the 327 Mag. I read that you can shoot the other 32's out of the revolvers for practice but the POI will be different. The American eagle 100gr loading with a muzzle velocity of 1500fps and 500 FPE is well over any 38spl load I can find. I have not checked to see what the pressures are on the 327 but I do like haveing a 6 shooter the same size as my 5 shot 38spl. :thumbsup: I was one to jump on the 3.5", 17HMR and 300 WSM wagon. I toyed with the WSSM and glad that I passed on them as they did not go far. I think this 327 is a winner but only time will tell.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:51 pm

the 327 mag might be like the 357 and the 38 special...............

just wounder if the old 32 H&R or others have shorter cases than the 327 mag?

Firing loads with shorter brass will eat away at the cylinder and if not cleaned, could
cause a stuck case or unability to empty the rounds. Not a good thing in a fire fight !!

Always clean lead fowling and copper from the Cylinder after shooting..................
and make sure there is no lead build up on the throat of the barrel .

Good shooting.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:32 am

Saw **** Metcalf on the tv show "guns and ammo" (?) and he talked about this new gun and ammo.

He said it was a good gun, with three bullet choices but that was all................

At the trap club yesterday I was shown a 380 that fit in your hand with a lazer sight, had a 10 or 12 mag (?)
and was $299 right out of the box !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum