a problem with the shells or rifle

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

a problem with the shells or rifle

Postby 44marlin » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:36 pm

last year i was hunting on this little hill. i sat down loaded my gun and about a hour later i see this nice down coming through this swamp about 40 yards away anyways easy shot. i pulled up and shot and it dropped. well i take the clip out of my gun and start down towards the deer. Before i got to it. it got up and ran and i took my clip and stuck it back in the gun and i fired 3 times but the bullets never went off? could it be my firing pin or my shells and later that day i got the doe so it was all good.
44marlin
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:28 pm

Stupid question and I'm not trying to insult you, but did you rack a shell into the chamber when you put the clip back in?
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:49 pm

I'm curious to the same question as aj. I'm sure you did, so Did you keep the shells? Was their a primer dent in them? I'd be willing to put money on the firing pin though. Either that or you were using real old shells. If you don't clean your gun oil and crud can get to your firing pin and gum it up.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 44marlin » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:58 pm

yea i kept the shells. yea the primers were indented. it was some ammo a guy bought in our hunting party and he had problems with it so i used it. never again.
44marlin
hunter

Re: a problem with the shells or rifle

Postby joshco84 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:41 pm

Wasnt winchester supremes was it? I have had a terrible time with many boxes of these shells having dud primers.
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby OkieHunter » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:35 pm

If the primers are not seated deep enough they will not fire when hit by the firing pin of your rifle. That would be my guess as to why they did not fire.
Never Correct Your Dog When Angry, That is Abuse And They will Never Forget It
OkieHunter
hunter

Postby DKA » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:32 am

If someone else had problems with them, I would have never had them in my rifle while hunting. Buy you a new box of bullets and count that as experience.
Turn Adversity Into Advantage

NC Hunter Safety Instructor
NC Conceal Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
DKA
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum