Cheap target rifle and scope recommendation

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Cheap target rifle and scope recommendation

Postby 12gaugeLarry » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:48 am

Hello everyone, I'm looking at the idea of purchasing my first target rifle. I've cut my budget in half with the economy being what it is. My gun dealer recommended a police rifle from Savage in 22-250 or 308. If possible, I'd like to have a detachable magazine, stainless steel barrel, and a scope with finger adjustable turret. I have never shot a 308 so I have no idea how my shoulder would feel shooting 300 of them over an afternoon. My bench rest shooting experience is limited to a 22 caliber Marlin with Tasco scope and Rem 22 target ammo. Please give me your recommendation for an affordable scope, rifle, and caliber.
Thank you
Larry
12gaugeLarry
hunter

Re: Cheap target rifle and scope recommendation

Postby Kurt » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:21 pm

What is affordable to you? What distance are you shooting? .308 recoil is not an issue. Trying to do it on the cheap usally costs more in the long run. I would not skimp on the glass for sure.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby 12gaugeLarry » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:03 pm

For the rifle $600 to $800. Scope around $350-$500. I would really like to keep it under $1,200 if possible.
When you say recoil isn't a factor, would my shoulder be sore after 300 rounds? This is what I think I would shoot on the average day. I like the 308 because it goes farther and could double as a back up deer rifle. I will probably be shooting 100-200 yards most of the time. If I get out to Arizona I would start at 1,000 yards and work my way up to the limits of the gun so long as I could stay on the paper. This is the reason I like the 308, but 22-250 works well, too.
Larry
12gaugeLarry
hunter

Postby Kurt » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:39 pm

bunch of rifles to choose from rem,savage,howa, glass you could get by with the bushnell 4200 dont even consider barfska, bsa or any crap glass like that. Then ammo if you are going to shoot 1000 yds you better get ready to spend money if you buy match ammo or learn to reload.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby Buick_C » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:04 pm

Savage will be about the cheapest manufacturer for quality rifles. There's about 100 diff. directions you can go with scopes.
"Maybe instead of buying more guns you should enjoy the ones you already have!" -Hank Hill
Buick_C
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:04 pm

Savage is your best bet on the rifle, I had a plain wood stocked savage 30-06 that shot .5moa out of the box. a guy that I know has a savage 7mm mag that will print one hole 5 shots at 100 yds with factory ammo. Weaver has some nice target compatable scopes in your price range, forget tasco, simmons and the lower end bushnells if you plan on shooting 1000 yds. Remember that 300 rounds of "good" 308 ammo will run you well over $300 so reloading should be a consideration. I shot a lot of matches out to 600 yds with open sighted M1A 308's and they are not hard on your shoulder but you will feel it after shooting all day.

Other rifle choices are Howa / weatherby vanguard (same rifle) I have had one in 308 and mine was not particularly accurate even after I floated the barrel but I have seen some that shot good.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 12gaugeLarry » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:24 pm

Hi, I'm really leaning towards the Savage rifle. I checked the web site and was really surprised to see how many of their models have changed. I thought they offered a model with the Choate stock in 308 or 223 but was unable to locate it. Can anyone recommend a certain Savage model number for me to look at? I'm also looking for model numbers for finger adjustable turret scopes. I need to know what power to go with, too. Thank you
Larry
12gaugeLarry
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:43 pm

Savage model 10 is the model to look at

It's the most well known rifle they make. It's also the longest continually produced hunting rifle in American history. Even more than the Remington 700 and Winchester model 70. That right there should tell you something about quality and accuracy. They're not pretty but the wood stock is solid and the barrel is floating. You can pick em up all day long for $350. I emphasize don't let the cheap price fool you for accuracy!

For a scope you could get by just fine with a Simmons.
devildog28
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:59 pm

The Choate stock sucks anyway. If I were going to go Savage, I would get the 10FP McMillan. The 10FP HS Precision is OK, but the A5 McMillan stock is very nice.

For a scope in your price range, I'd go a FFP Falcon, although a used Mk 4 isn't too far out of your price range. For the rifle, a 700P/LTR would get my nod, even if they are in .308. I like my LTR just fine, although it won't be .308 when it gets a new barrel. I've also replaced the HS Precision stock with a McMillan A5.

Learn how to handload, as factory FGM/BH/CB ammo is gonna get awful expensive.
Also, one can shoot 300 rounds in an afternoon, but be sure to be kind to your barrel.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby REDGUN » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:51 am

bgoldhunter wrote: For the rifle, a 700P/LTR would get my nod, even if they are in .308.

+1
The Remington 700 action also makes a good platform to build from later after burning up the original barrel.
REDGUN
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:28 am

:lol: Yeah good point. Savage is probably the easiest to put a new barrel on to burn up.

I like the remington 700 with bull barrel and a good scope. The only "Cheap scope" I have seen that wasnt bad was a Cabelas Pine Ridge tactical. A friend had one on his .243 wssm and it would adjust though all clicks and return to zero just fine. He's rough on stuff and this one hasnt been bad. Its not going to compare to a 6oo dollar scope at all though. Swift .44 mag scopes are very good for the money as well.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:25 pm

What makes the Savage barrel easier to burn up than others?
devildog28
hunter

Postby Kurt » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:17 pm

I think he was saying it is easy to replace after burnt up. Not that it will burn up any faster in the salvage
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:23 pm

Ya, no I wasnt saying savage barrels burn up more easily. They are just really easy to replace, its because of the design.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby Rather Be Hunting » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:00 am

for a scope look into the swift premier. great scopes for the money. own two, a 3x9 on my muzzleloader and a 4x12 on my 30-06 and both have worked flawlessly.
Rather Be Hunting
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum