Deer round opinions

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Re: Deer round opinions

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:49 am

Kurt wrote:Who shoots factory guns it is like riding a stock snowmobile boring

Most working class guys and gals that have responsibilities. Show offs, pampered snobs and the not too brite are the only ones that pack custom made bench rest guns to the deer woods.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby REDGUN » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:55 am

Greg Wile wrote: So if you can take your 700 and shoot off hand at the edge of a playing card at 15 yards and cut that card in two with one shot I will say you are a good shot. Think about it.

So if I can do that with my bow with broadheads, am I a really good shot? :huh:
REDGUN
hunter

Postby Kurt » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:32 am

Greg Wile wrote:
Kurt wrote:Who shoots factory guns it is like riding a stock snowmobile boring

Most working class guys and gals that have responsibilities. Show offs, pampered snobs and the not too brite are the only ones that pack custom made bench rest guns to the deer woods.

Who said any thing about bench rest guns. Never once did i metion anything about bench rest guns. I dont know if you need new glasses or just like putting words in peoples mouths but any time you want to come down to here and shoot p dogs with your hand made on a kitchen table what ever the hell it is come on down. No bench just what you would have in hunting situation a bipod and a pack. How bout start at 300 yds and work till about 800. Working class guess that is me i am paying for my wife to go to college and have a son and the economoy is great for me right now guess when you know how to manage your money it works like that. You need to get off that high horse. well i am off to go shoot another 100+ rds wind is blowing need to work on my wind doping. Hopefully i am brite enough to figure it out.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby REDGUN » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:20 am

Greg Wile wrote: Show offs, pampered snobs and the not too brite are the only ones that pack custom made bench rest guns to the deer woods.

A true "bench rest" gun has a 3" wide forend, usually a heavy barrel and would probably be to heavy to "hunt" with anyway.

If a Remington 700 sporter weight with a new custom barrel (so it will shoot as accuratly as possible) is your idea of a bench gun, then I agree with Kurt!
REDGUN
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:00 pm

Talk about putting words in peoples mouths. You boys need to sit down and chill. If I recall correctly you were the two that started on the whole accuracy thing and how unless a gun shot sub moa it wasn't worthy of your notice, and you berated guys using lever guns but then you get your panties in a knot if some one says something that makes you wince. I never said that you take a bench rest gun to the woods nor did I call you a snob but if it bothers you that because you come across as being too good to walk in the same woods as a guy with in your words an inferior fire arm then it is not necessary for any one to infer or label you as such. But hey to each their own its a big world and I didn't notice any law that says I can't have a different opinion than some one else. I choose not to look down on others for their choice of equipment and make rude comments when they say things that are true. You can hunt with a five thousand dollar gun with a three thousand dollar scope and I don't care but you should not be telling me or any one else that because we chose to use something other than that, it is inferior or junk. I shoot an old 6.5 X 55 and it is very accurate with a cheap 3-9x40 power Bushnell scope on it, I took the creep out of the trigger and have it break at a crisp 2.5 lbs If I were to restock it and float the barrel would it kill deer and black bear any better for me?

Any way this is way of the original topic which was a guy asking what choice some of us would make for a deer caliber and he had three choices then he asked about a scope for on top of what ever he chose not what the rest of us think on the subject of accuracy. And I believe he gave an indication as to price range, though I could be wrong.

I would choose the .308 and any of the mid range of scopes. If I could I would go with a scope with Carl Zisse (sp) lenses as they are reputed to be the best at least when it comes to cameras so I would think the same would apply to rifle scopes.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Kurt » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:20 pm

Here is the deal it all started when it was said that lever guns are as accurate as bolt guns. In a hunting situation would it matter 99.9% of the time no. I hunt with a guy who shoots a 30-30 lever action and we have a great time, but like he says it is great for walking draws and if you have a quick shot. But when we are in more open areas he opts for the .308 which happens to have ziess glass which is awsome. I also shoot .308 but i have a mark 4 and that is because i enjoy target shooting at long range. I shoot to 600 yds all the time on steel, but animals are a whole differnet story excluding p-dogs. I am not going to lie i love good glass and i am a snob when it comes to optics but if what ever anyone uses works for them great but like you said nothing says we cant have opinions. In all reality we should not fight amongst our selves and all band together. It does not matter if we shoot old smoke polls or the trg-42. If we dont all we will have left are red riders and those have terrible ballistics :beer:
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:59 pm

I would have had better glass if I could have but as far as the rifle I love the 6.5 x 55 it has enough punch to put deer down farther than I personally want to shoot. Here in the East we don't have P.dogs to shoot but I remember snaring them with my great Uncle in Saskatchewan.We would wait for them to poke their heads up then pull the snare tight, a lot of fun when your 6.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:35 am

That Zeiss conquest is a helluva scope for the money.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby muddydog » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:45 pm

Back to a rifle for Grandpa, A .243 or 7mm-08 will kill any deer walking. These rifles dont kick and can be had in easy to carry light rifles. Any good middle of the road scope should work. I have had good luck with all the cheap brands, if you got the cash buy a Leupold or Nikon.
muddydog
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:48 am

30-06 is a great round for what you are doing, just about unlimited in the ammo selection and you can easily find it. 308 would be fine too. I perfer the 300 WSM and I have hot loads and Low recoil loads depending on what I am hunting at the time. My bullet of choice for the 300 and 30-06 is a 180gr nosler BT or Accubond. I have NEVER had a BT "explode" and have hit many a shoulder with them. but have drifted more toward the accubonds lately. for the 308 I like the 165gr accubonds. The nice thing with the BT on dear size game is the "shock" it seems to inflict on the game. I have never had a deer go more than 25' after being hit with a BT and the insides are mush. but I am pushing them out the muzzle at 3019fps too.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby REDGUN » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:36 am

waterfowlhunter wrote: I have NEVER had a BT "explode" and have hit many a shoulder with them.

Waterfowlhunter

How much is left of your Nosler BT when you find them?? Last 7mm 150 gr Bt I shot at a deer, I found the jacket with maybe 20 gr of lead left in the bottom. To me, that bullet "exploded".

I too, for hunting, have switched to the Accubond. :thumbsup:
REDGUN
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:27 pm

I have never found a BT in a deer, They always blow completely thru. That is why I like the 180 grainers but recently started shooting the accubonds Just because they shoot as accurate as the BT but do not expand as fast.

Check out Federals website, They have a cool video from shooting usa that compares several bullets in gelatin with deer hide and with a cow femur inserted the BT did just fine in all test.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cjg » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:59 pm

REDGUN wrote:
The 308 would be a short action rifle and can be had in a lighter overall gun.

I have a Winchester feather weight in 7mm08 (short action) 2x7 leuopold scope and a synthetic stock and it weighs 2 pounds more than my 3006 Browning A bolt (long action) with a 2.5x8 leupold scope and synthetic stock. So it's not all long action short action weight wise.

I'd go with 30 06, it'll do anything you need it to and has a large selection of factory ammo that you can buy most any where.
cjg
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:19 am

cjg wrote:
REDGUN wrote:

I have a Winchester feather weight in 7mm08 (short action) 2x7 leuopold scope and a synthetic stock and it weighs 2 pounds more than my 3006 Browning A bolt (long action) with a 2.5x8 leupold scope and synthetic stock. So it's not all long action short action weight wise.

That is really odd unless someone added weight to the winchester as the a-bolt weighs 6lb 11oz and the featherweights were advertised at 6lb 4oz both in synthetic stocks. 2lb is a LOT of weight (about 1/3rd of the total gun weight)

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Kurt » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:49 am

cjg wrote:
REDGUN wrote:

I'd go with 30 06, it'll do anything you need it to and has a large selection of factory ammo that you can buy most any where.

There is alot of info left off that would be nice to know about each gun. I have a .22lr that weighs more than a trg doesnt really mean anything. With out details
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby cjg » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:34 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:
cjg wrote:
REDGUN wrote:

That is really odd unless someone added weight to the winchester as the a-bolt weighs 6lb 11oz and the featherweights were advertised at 6lb 4oz both in synthetic stocks. 2lb is a LOT of weight (about 1/3rd of the total gun weight)

Yup, I hear ya, but the scale don't lie. It's not a factory synthetic, it's a Hogue rubber overmold, no aluminium block, and it's a feather weight classic, which has a longer barrel than the feather weight. My point is just because it's a short action hunting rifle doesn't automatically make it lighter than a long action.
cjg
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:43 pm

as for thinking of fixing up the "Old" model 94.................

no thankyou, I like it just the way it is.............

Classic

Sagebrush
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:48 am

Wow nice gun! Ill give you 300 bucks for it right now. :lol3:
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:44 am

Sagebrush wrote:as for thinking of fixing up the "Old" model 94.................

no thankyou, I like it just the way it is.............

Classic

Sage, I've got the same gun at home. :thumbsup:
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum