New pistola to play with!

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

New pistola to play with!

Postby ALMODUX » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:15 pm

Well, I have really never been a Glock fan. Now before you go bustin' on me, I've shot plenty of them, but it's been years back...when they were first the 'thing' to have. I didn't like the way they handled, grip feel, etc. Now, I was never one to knock them for working, because they were reliable as heck...from all I could tell. Later on, I thought the larger frame 45s and 10mms felt a little better in my hand, but still....give me a 1911, CZ, HiPower, even XD, etc. Well, fast forward, and I've not even touched a full-sized, Gen III Glock until Saturday. I'm in a buddy's shop and he's got a G20 sitting there. It's in primo shape, and I'm looking over the finger grooves and thinking about why they needed to do that to the frame, and poo-pooing the fancy light rail. I kinda absent mindedly start checking it out and handling it, and (low and behold) it fits my mits pretty good....even if the heel swell is obscene in the back. So, I keep throwing this 10mm up, thinking hmmm....This would work great on democrats, hogs, or even deer up close. :yes: Then my boneheaded buddy tells me he'll take $400 for it. :help: So, after haggling over taxes and a box of ammo (just because we HAVE to haggle to complete a deal) and coughing up $430, I've now got a 2004 vintage (cherry) Glock 10mm to poke some holes with. It was kinda nice, since I can't remeber the last 'tactical' style firearm I bought. I had sort of taken a break from the tactical world, and was tired of working on stuff that didn't have nice wood or metal finishes or an obvious hunting heritage, etc....plenty of shotguns and older rifles or pistols....just nothing 'hi-speed' in a while. Well, I'm guessing I need some cool mag pouches, extended slide release, 3.5lb trigger, maybe a Bar-sto barrel, etc...or I could just shoot the snot out of it and tote it 'til it pulls my britches down.

For all of you Glock cultists out there, what say ye?

Anyhoo, just my good day of adding to the trigger collection. :biggrin:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Re: New pistola to play with!

Postby devildog28 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:35 pm

Have you actually fired it yet? My problem with glocks is that they have horrible balence when handling them fully loaded and almost as bad when the mag is almost empty.
devildog28
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:39 pm

It's been 10 years or more since I shot a Glock 20. I've much more trigger time on the 21 and various 17, 19, 22, 23, etc. Glocks, though way back, also. I don't see an issue with 'balance'. Any pistol with 10+ rounds of anything bigger than 32ACP is going to experience some weight change as it's shot. However, since handgun grip should be firm and is a exercise in rigidity, as opposed to fluidity or feel (like shotgunning), then balance with a fighting pistol can be moot...so long as it points where you look, etc. :biggrin: It's heavier loded than unloaded, OTT, any 'balance' difference isn't noticeable. :biggrin:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby killmaster » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:41 pm

My hunting/fishing/causing trouble buddy has a Glock 20. That this is a huge brick! I don't have small hands and it just feels huge to me. Never been much of a Glock fan myself but I liked it when I shot it, and the 10mm has plenty of knockdown power.
Congrats on the purchase.
NRA Life Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
DRAKE: End of story.
killmaster
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum