New Pistol

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

New Pistol

Postby sbretting60 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:29 pm

So I am on the market for a new pistol. I was thinking a 45 but I am not completely sold on anything specific. I am looking for something relatively cheap both on initial cost and ammo cost. I was thinking an XD 45 after i shot both my stepbrothers and my friends new XD. What are your recommendations on both caliber and brand?

Thanks for any help
Shawn
sbretting60
hunter

Re: New Pistol

Postby ALMODUX » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:56 pm

Just shoot all types and calibers that you can. .45 is the 'top dawg', but get what you like, shoot best, is reliable, and affordable, then invest in ammo and range time. The latter is WAY more important than any of the stuff regarding caliber or brand. A 32 ACP in well practiced hands is more effective than a 45 in the hands of someone that never shoots what they carry. :biggrin:

XDs= good guns
1911 (Kimber, Springfield, Para,etc.) = good guns
S&W = good guns
Kahr=good guns
Glock=good guns
SIG = VERY good guns
H&K=good guns
Taurus=mostly good guns
Beretta=good guns

Take your pic. I've carried every brand I listed, except Kahr and K&K, and I would again. :biggrin:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:48 pm

Ditto what Almodux said and shoot as many styles and brands of pistols in varying calibers that you can and see which feels the best to you. You do need to consider what you will primarily do with it to determine the proper caliber. For defense or carry, I'd recommend a 9mm at the least and 40 or 45 from there. For target shooting you can suffice with a 38 or 9mm as ammo is cheaper (a relative term these days). I wouldn't get caught up with certain brands or the newest, latest or greatest features but definitely seek what trips your trigger within the reputable makes available...pun intended. The main thing is to get some initial instruction on proper grip, arm & body position and technique, then go practice, practice and practice some more.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:41 pm

I have an XD 45 and so far it has been a great shooting gun. My wife likes to shoot it too. I like the added benefit of the grip safety on the XD's. Just one more thing to keep it from going of in you pants.

The other guns they have listed are also fine guns. I would go with whatever fits in your hands the best.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:05 pm

I have an XD45 tactical and I love it. That being said, when I picked it up it just felt "right" in my hand. I would also recommend trying out several different brands and figuring out which one you are most comfortable with. Ideally, if there is an indoor range or you can get some time behind the sites on a bunch of different ones I would try shooting them first and go with the one you like the best. My only dislike of my XD is the trigger has so much pull and is set rather stiff. If I could afford it I'd defenitely send it in for some trigger work. Good luck with whatever you choose.
jrode237
hunter

Postby sbretting60 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:59 pm

I have only shot 2 XD 45's and a Glock . I liked them both but the XD does feel really nice in my hands. I am not completly set on it yet but that is the way I am leaning. I will have a better idea once I shoot a couple different guns and get more experience with hand guns. I am still debating on caliber, I am thinking 9 just because it is cheaper to shoot. Wisconsin doesn't have concealed carry (yet) so I am not too concerned with somthing I can conceal. I like the XD tactical with a 5" barrel and I will get the high cap clips too. Unfortunately it will probably be summer before I can afford one, I need to make some money once the semester is over.

Thanks for the help.
sbretting60
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:00 pm

Once you make your final decision (sounds like you are leaning towards the XD which is a fine choice) I would strongly recommend comparing several shops before you buy. Just this morning I went to 3 of this area's gun shops (a perfect way to spend a vacation day) looking for an XD 40 Subcompact. I found prices ranging from $450 to $599...and the higher numbers were at the shops known for "Good Prices".
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:40 am

I like the 45acp myself, I have had issues wit the 9mm and stopping the target. At Minimum go with a 40 but the 45 still reigns supreme IMO. I Also carry a 38 spl+P when it is not practical to tote the 45. I have the XD Tactical with safety and it is a bit big for a summer carry gun but is fine for winter. In the summer I carry a compact (HK). Price shopping it recommended, I ended up with my XD for about $150 less than than several shops were trying to get for it.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 12gaugeLarry » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:42 pm

The 40 and 45 are top dogs in stopping power but I wouldn't drop the 9mm from your list. The best 9mm hollow point does the job. The discount ammo places sell the 9mm hollow points dirt cheap in bulk and its always available-usually at HALF the price of defensive 40 and 45 hollow points on store shelves. ALL my stores are OUT of 40 and 45. (both ball and hollow point.) If this gun is for defense you need to train with the same ammo you will be shooting at the bad guys and that costs ALOT of money. My last box at the range is always a 50 round box of the same hollow points I keep loaded in my magazine. If you don't train regularly with the gun and ammo your going to shoot your loved ones and/or kill your neighbor. The 9mm has low recoil, is always available in surplus ammo, and usually allows a couple extra rounds in the magazine. I would rather shoot the bad guy twice with affordable police surplus 9mm then miss them with Corbon +P+ ammo. The problems with our economy are NOT going away anytime soon. Plan on having A LOT LESS money to spend on ammo, guns, and recreation in the future, and paying ALOT more in taxes (carbon tax, income tax, real estate tax) and gun fees. Four years ago I was looking at buying a one million dollar house, now I'm living in my mom's basement and returning to school for a masters degree. My finances now limit me to training with 9mm only. Rent and try out every different type of gun you can. Buy the gun that you shoot best with-not what's on sale, or what looks cool from a movie or magazine ad, or what comes with 2 FREE MAGAZINES. Train regularly with the same gun/ammo or disaster WILL happen.
Larry
12gaugeLarry
hunter

Postby sbretting60 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:23 pm

I am not currently looking for a gun to carry except maybe in the woods when I am bow hunting. I am pretty much just looking for a shooter. Something that is accurate and that I can put a lot of rounds through without breaking the bank. I dont have much experience with hand guns but I also want something I can upgrade (maybe a match barrel) for cheap and easy. I am not going to make any final descisions until I do some more shooting of different brands and calibers.
sbretting60
hunter

Postby sbretting60 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:43 pm

Does anyone have experience with any of the Beretta pistols, specifically the M9. It looks like a good gun and from my understanding it is what the military uses.

Thanks,

Shawn
sbretting60
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:01 pm

12gaugeLarry wrote:The 40 and 45 are top dogs in stopping power but I wouldn't drop the 9mm from your list. The best 9mm hollow point does the job. The discount ammo places sell the 9mm hollow points dirt cheap in bulk and its always available-usually at HALF the price of defensive 40 and 45 hollow points on store shelves. ALL my stores are OUT of 40 and 45. (both ball and hollow point.) If this gun is for defense you need to train with the same ammo you will be shooting at the bad guys and that costs ALOT of money. My last box at the range is always a 50 round box of the same hollow points I keep loaded in my magazine. If you don't train regularly with the gun and ammo your going to shoot your loved ones and/or kill your neighbor. The 9mm has low recoil, is always available in surplus ammo, and usually allows a couple extra rounds in the magazine. I would rather shoot the bad guy twice with affordable police surplus 9mm then miss them with Corbon +P+ ammo. The problems with our economy are NOT going away anytime soon. Plan on having A LOT LESS money to spend on ammo, guns, and recreation in the future, and paying ALOT more in taxes (carbon tax, income tax, real estate tax) and gun fees. Four years ago I was looking at buying a one million dollar house, now I'm living in my mom's basement and returning to school for a masters degree. My finances now limit me to training with 9mm only. Rent and try out every different type of gun you can. Buy the gun that you shoot best with-not what's on sale, or what looks cool from a movie or magazine ad, or what comes with 2 FREE MAGAZINES. Train regularly with the same gun/ammo or disaster WILL happen.

I agree with you about practicing with your "self defense" rounds, but to me that is the beauty of a 45. My Hollow Points shoot about the same as my practice rounds. They kick about the same and group about the same. Also, my practice rounds have enough knock down power to be used as defense rounds if needed. I shoot a few of my defense rounds, but they shoot so close to my practice rounds, some days I don't bother.

9mm is OK, but the kick on the +p rounds is much sharper than my .45 ACP and your practice rounds for a 9mm don't exactly simulate what you will be shooting later. 9mm definitely wins out on capacity, but my .45 holds 13+1 and I feel that whatever confrontation I'm in will end after the first shot.

To each his own, but I'll take the .45 ACP, whether its necessary or not.

Here is a good pro's and con's comparison of different defense rounds, http://loneranger2008.wordpress.com/2008/05/24/beginners-guide-to-concealed-carry/
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:03 pm

sbretting60 wrote:Does anyone have experience with any of the Beretta pistols, specifically the M9. It looks like a good gun and from my understanding it is what the military uses.

Thanks,

Shawn

They're a good gun, but they're kind of bulky when compared to the XD's and Glocks. Next time you're at the gun store, pick one up and you'll see what I mean. I also don't feel that it points as naturally as the xd's. They're solid guns, but you'll need to practice with it to get good with it.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:36 am

Top cop gun is a Glock in .40 cal.

Revolver is a .357 Mag but you see them more as a back up with only 6 "Lifesavers" to work with.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:59 pm

sbretting60 wrote:Does anyone have experience with any of the Beretta pistols, specifically the M9. It looks like a good gun and from my understanding it is what the military uses.

Thanks,

Shawn

Talk to anyone who has been to Iraq or Afghanistan and they will tell you they hate them.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:16 am

A longlived problem with many Beretta pistols is the long and heavy DA trigger pull. I know they have worked on it for a while and a few models have ben improved, but all in all you'll typically find better DA triggers from Springfield, Glock, S&W, Sig or other makers. Along the same lines, if you go with a pistol that has a SA or a DA/SA trigger you'll find a much more crisp and short trigger pull- especially on the second + shots in SA mode.

Groundswatter and 12 gauge made good points about the varying calibers. One thing to remember when comparing 9mm, .40 and .45 is the pressure generated by each round and how that relates to the felt recoil. Typically the 9mm and .40 are going to be higher pressure rounds resulting in more of a "snappy" or sharp fel to the hands (as Groundswatter referred to). The .45 is a lower pressure load and gives more of a shove than a snap. This is similar to a 30-06 compared to a .270 where the cases are the same but the powder to launch a heavier projectile is much slower burning resulting in less snap.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:43 am

:lol: Unless you load 180gr cast bullets with a stiff charge of Bullseye. Talk about snappy! Got some .45 loaded up this week and shot them. Feels just like my buddys .40.

I vote for a 1911. Your not concealing it, you just want a shooter right? Well not many guns shoot much smoother than the old 1911. Stick with some of the more name brand companys. And if you want aftermarket stuff like you said, then the sky is the limit with that gun. Look at the XD its already been upgraded to the XDM.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:08 am

[quote="jrockncash"]:lol: Unless you load 180gr cast bullets with a stiff charge of Bullseye. Talk about snappy! Got some .45 loaded up this week and shot them. Feels just like my buddys .40. quote]

Can't argue with that jrock, that load would be like slipping a single 230 gr round into the cylinder of a 44 mag when your buddy is popping off 44 spl for target practice...talk about a wake up call! However, with a few exceptions most "normal" 230 gr or lighter hardball loads in a 45 aren't bad at all on the hands. I also totally agree that a good quality 1911 will have one of the smoothest actions with the better triggers available on the market.
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum