Ammo shortage?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Ammo shortage?

Postby REDGUN » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:26 pm

I reload almost all of my centerfire ammo so this has kind of caught me off-guard. I went to by some pistol ammo and basically got laughed at by the sales clerks at 3 different stores. My local Walmart's ammo shelf was completely empty, no rifles or pistol ammo, just a few boxes of shotshells. Then I find out that components, especially primers, are not availably locally.

Is anybody else having this problem?
REDGUN
hunter

Re: Ammo shortage?

Postby Kurt » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:39 pm

You can tell mr.obama thanks for this problem. It is all over
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby sbretting60 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:59 pm

It is the same thing up in the UP. The pistol club at MTU is having trouble finding any ammo even 22 lr ammo. As soon as the stores get any in they sell out right away. It is the same thing with guns they are having trouble keeping any "assault" rifles on the shelf.
sbretting60
hunter

Postby swampwise » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:19 pm

Yep. If you see any anywhere, buy it. It's becoming harder and harder to get. Me, I'm lucky. I work for a sheriff's office, so I get to buy my ammo through work. Got a case of .40 on the way now, come to think of it.
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:57 am

When people come into work looking for .380 ammo we laugh and tell them good luck (not in a jerk way, more of a joking way). We don't even tell people when our truck comes in anymore because people wait outside the store an hour or two before we even open just to buy it. Then they complain when we tell them we didn't get any on the truck (corperate likes to keep us in the dark, we don't know what's on the truck till it gets there so it's like Christmas every week).
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby killmaster » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:43 pm

Mr. Obama - Gun Salesman of the year.
NRA Life Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
DRAKE: End of story.
killmaster
hunter

Postby Harley Dave » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:15 am

I have to second Preacher 1011's comments.
Of course I work for the same company in a different location. Since the election, people have been hoarding ammo when they find it. Recently we had some 'mega-paks" (250 rounds) of .45 ammo come in and one customer bought a half of the shipment. I've seen people who used to buy one or two 50 round boxes, checking out with ten boxes at a time.
Many people are afraid that future taxes on ammo are going to make it prohibitively expensive.
Your life, liberty, and property are never safe when the Legislature is in session. M.Twain
Harley Dave
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:56 pm

The issues is that we don't have any taxes - the rush on ammo officially began Nov 4, 2008 according to several sources I have read.

It is amazing that the manufacturers can not keep up with the demand - all ammo sales places are roughly a month behind in inventory and some don't know when or if they'll get it. That includes reloading supplies.

This all stinks of something not being disclosed - the demand can not be that great...Can it?
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:36 pm

MissedAgain wrote:The issues is that we don't have any taxes - the rush on ammo officially began Nov 4, 2008 according to several sources I have read.

It is amazing that the manufacturers can not keep up with the demand - all ammo sales places are roughly a month behind in inventory and some don't know when or if they'll get it. That includes reloading supplies.

This all stinks of something not being disclosed - the demand can not be that great...Can it?

I've worked in the Firearms section at Gander the past few months (it's too busy there for me to work in the archery dept. where I'm supposed to be because it's so busy) and trust me the demand is DEFINITELY that high.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don taylor » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:12 pm

I expect if I ever need to use the ammo supplies I already have stockpiled, ammo by then will be laying all over the ground. I always had the idea i'd collect ammo and guns from the dead. Russian soldiers fought entire wars that way.

I got scared back when Clinton was in office. I have corrosive Russian surplus that's pushing 70 years old and it fires without a hiccup. I'm sure all the stuff I bought 12 years ago is still good.

What's wrong now is before I was at the range constantly. I would shoot a rifle or two, maybe my .45 before I'd go shoot 4 rounds of trap, 3 nights a week. Now I'm rarely taking anything other than the shotgun and only shooting one practice round and two rounds of league one night. I just can't drop that kind of money anymore.

Some guys are having a hard time finding rounds near me for pistols and 223's. If I don't practice much, I'm good.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:32 am

I have plenty of components for the calibers that I shoot but I just went to buy powder. I hit the 3 ganders in my area and they all Jacked their powder prices up to $99.99 for 4 lbs. I had to make a 1 hour trip to buy the same powder for $62 for the 4lb jug. I needed 4 different powders (steel, BL-c(2), WSF and AA Sporting) so it was very well worth the trip to save about $150. They even jacked up their primer prices but I have enough to get me by for a couple of years. I shoot a lot of 38, 45 acp, 223 and 12ga. I am investing in a shot maker or building one here soon as shot is costing me $30 a bag now and the last 2 bags opened had tags on them for $12.99 from about 2 years ago. Shooting is going to become a "rich mans" sport before too long.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum