Reloading

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Reloading

Postby sbretting60 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:05 pm

I was wondering at what point in shooting does it pay to reload your own ammo? I figured if you only shoot every once in a while it wouldn't pay, but how much do you have to reload for it to be cost effective? I was wondering this since I am starting to get into shooting more and if I buy a 45 i might reload if it is worth it.

Thanks,

Shawn
sbretting60
hunter

Re: Reloading

Postby jrockncash » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:51 pm

Add up the cost of all the ammo you shoot in .45 in a year. Then add up the cost of a reloader, and ALL of the components it takes to load up. Then Take into account all the components to make the bullets you are going to shoot. Then find out how much you can load up a box of bullets for. Then just set up and Algebraic equation just like highschool. The reloaded bullets will end up higher on your Y axis but the point where the to lines come together on the graph is where reloading starts to pay for itself. It is going to be much faster if you shoot a ton. Ill give you a hint on that formula... find out how many times 4.5 gr will go into a pound of Bullseye. That will help you determine the powder.

Now that smoke is coming out of my ears from thinkering too hard. I am going to go get a beer. OK long story short, if your in it for the short term or dont shoot much. Forget about reloading. If you are serious about shooting and shoot a ton it may be worth it.

By the way it takes way more gizmos than what come with the RCBS "Master" reloading kit to get up and running. Good luck and if you want some loads send me a pm.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:33 am

WOW Jrock...while you are absolutely correct in your mathmatical thought process my brain hurts from going back through the math again. That said, I did a similar approach when I started reloading a short time back (have done shotshells for years but not metallic until recently). Figuring the same true cost of the components as you did and using 5 as the divider for the average number of times I'd use brass before it got lost or worn out (obviously it can be loaded more times than that). I came up with around 5,000-6,000 rounds as my break even point.

Another thing to factor in is the enjoyment of rolling one's own ammo...not just as a money saving venture (which it obviously can be) but for the fun of utilizing a new hobby as a means of supporting another. One can almost associate the cost of reloading to that of golf. On both avocations you can spend anywhere from a few hundred dollard up to a thousand or more to get started and the reoccuring costs are somewhat similar. The only thing is it is hard to bring down a game animal with a Titleist.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:51 am

One thing to consider is that a lot of people don't get into reloading because of the price but because they have the ability to tailor rounds to their personal needs.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby msmall » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:20 am

I do it because I shoot a lot but mostly because my reloading room is my sanctuary. The wife and kids know not to bug me when I'm in there with the door closed.

msmall
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:52 am

jrockncash wrote:Add up the cost of all the ammo you shoot in .45 in a year. Then add up the cost of a reloader, and ALL of the components it takes to load up. Then Take into account all the components to make the bullets you are going to shoot. Then find out how much you can load up a box of bullets for. Then just set up and Algebraic equation just like highschool. The reloaded bullets will end up higher on your Y axis but the point where the to lines come together on the graph is where reloading starts to pay for itself. It is going to be much faster if you shoot a ton. Ill give you a hint on that formula... find out how many times 4.5 gr will go into a pound of Bullseye. That will help you determine the powder.

Now that smoke is coming out of my ears from thinkering too hard. I am going to go get a beer. OK long story short, if your in it for the short term or dont shoot much. Forget about reloading. If you are serious about shooting and shoot a ton it may be worth it.

By the way it takes way more gizmos than what come with the RCBS "Master" reloading kit to get up and running. Good luck and if you want some loads send me a pm.

Wow jrock that impressed me... my brain hurts too...

I don't reload just for savings but because it's relaxing. Also you can't compare your reloaded ammo to factory cheap crap. You have to compare it to the premium stuff that costs 50+ bucks a box.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:51 pm

Consider the press, etc an initial cost investment, and the way you look at reloading gets even cheaper.

7000gr per lb of powder, and using jrocks 4.5gr of Bullseye, one could load 1555 rounds from one lb of powder. 5gr (what I use for 230s), will net 1400 rounds, 6gr (for 185s) will net 1166 rounds. Bullets and primers are relatively cheap, compared to factory, and brass can be used for quite a while.

The fact that I can tailor my loads to my gun, and shoot any combination that I desire is ideal. I'd do it even if it would cost more to do so. That said, I'd hate to know what I would spend in a year on ammo if I were stuck shooting factory loads.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:48 am

There is nothing wrong with Factory ammo if you can find a load from one of the companys that shoots
well in you weapons. However I hate to pay $30 for one box of ammo.

The only shell that can't be reloaded is the .22, which is very low in cost, anyway, so no biggy.

Reloading can be fun and safe with all the manuals and data out there for the first timer.

I started with just one rifle load in the 60's and now do pistol and shotgun !!

Good luck on what ever you deceide.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:20 pm

Sage, right on. About the .22 however, sure it may be cheap (for .22 LR anyways, .22 WMR is a different story) but around here you can't even find .22 ammo anywhere. One thing I love about reloading is that as long as you have components you never have to worry about whether or not the store has ammo.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby jrockncash » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:21 pm

bgoldhunter wrote:Consider the press, etc an initial cost investment, and the way you look at reloading gets even cheaper.

7000gr per lb of powder, and using jrocks 4.5gr of Bullseye, one could load 1555 rounds from one lb of powder. 5gr (what I use for 230s), will net 1400 rounds, 6gr (for 185s) will net 1166 rounds. Bullets and primers are relatively cheap, compared to factory, and brass can be used for quite a while.

The fact that I can tailor my loads to my gun, and shoot any combination that I desire is ideal. I'd do it even if it would cost more to do so. That said, I'd hate to know what I would spend in a year on ammo if I were stuck shooting factory loads.

:lol: I was going light buddy! Thats the load I let the old lady shoot and my father in law. 180's have very little recoil at all. I also like the fact that as long as I have components I have bullets. :thumbsup:

I can load a box of 50 for about 12-14 bucks. Less if my local gun store would stop jacking the price of bullets and primers up every week.

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

jrockncash
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:54 pm

Hell, I just figgured that was what shot best in yours!

I'm just glad I work 5 minutes from Midway, and live 20 minutes from Graf's. Makes my life a bit easier if I find I'm a bit low on components...although Midway doesn't stock powder. Even if they did, I'd rather deal with Graf's for the most part.

I was planning on really stocking up on powder/bullets/primers/brass, but a few recent gun purchases have put me a bit behind on that. Think I've only 2lbs of Varget, less than a lb each of RL-22 and 4831SC, and no RL-19 at all. Primers are also getting scarce....but I'm going to have to make due with purchases here and there for a bit.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:27 am

You want a good challenge go find a pound of Retumbo! I got lucky and snatched up the last Varget at the shop. Local gunshop is selling primers 50 bucks for a 1000. :eek: I have a couple pounds of Rl-19 because the shop was out of 22. So Im down to 2 pounds of 22 and about 12 pounds of random IMR/alliant powders.

That would be dangerous to live next to Midway. Cabelas is still not shipping my primers I backordered about 3 weeks ago. I know a guy that works at the CCI factory and he said they are full bore cranking out 4 million primers a day and not even touching the demand. If guys would put as much effort into writing letters and getting the word out locally about gun control as they do about hoarding components we wouldnt have anything to worry about. But its easier to hid 10,000 primers at your house than it is to send an email to a congressman.

jrockncash
hunter

Postby Bruno32 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:49 pm

I have a Remington 7mm 1 in 10 twist with 24 " Pac Nor barrel. I am trying to find a good load for the Berger 168 grain bullet. I have tried a couple with Reloader 22 and Reloader 25 not to much luck at tight grouping. I have heard that the H1000 is a good powder to try also. Any sugestions? I am new at reloading so any information is helpfull. thanks
Bruno32
Newb

Postby bgoldhunter » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:46 pm

Which 7mm?

Edited to add: Bergers can be tricky to nail down a load. Might explain what you've done so far in load development.
Last edited by bgoldhunter on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:22 pm

IMR 4350 shots well with almost any medium caliber..............and the 4831 is a great "Beginers powder"
since one does not have to wory about double charges of powder and high chamber pressures.

Some loads , you can just dunk the brass into a bowl of 4831powder and add a bullet....................but
use a manual and printed data, any way !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum