What caliber

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Re: What caliber

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:15 pm

.270 is a fine round that has killed many deer, much like all the rounds we have discussed. As DevilDog said earlier, it is just a necked down 30-06, so I might still consider the .30-06 over .270. .30-06 would also give you more flexibility, i.e. off the shelf ammo with bullets in 150gr up to 220gr.

But again, .270 is a fine round.

As for optics. I think Nikon Optics are are great for the price.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:30 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:.270 is a fine round that has killed many deer, much like all the rounds we have discussed. As DevilDog said earlier, it is just a necked down 30-06, so I might still consider the .30-06 over .270. .30-06 would also give you more flexibility, i.e. off the shelf ammo with bullets in 150gr up to 220gr.

But again, .270 is a fine round.

As for optics. I think Nikon Optics are are great for the price.

If you look at a ballistics chart for similar weight bullets between the .270 and 30-06 you will see that the 270 actually outperforms the -06 after about 200 yards. Inside 200 they are close. Off the shelf bullets doesn't matter much to me since 95%+ of the rounds through it will be handloaded.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:26 pm

What are you comparing. A 150 Grain bullet coming out of either gun should have almost identical performance. The ballistics chart I looked at showed a 39" drop at 500yds with a 270 vs a 42" drop at 500 yds out of a 30-06. My ballistic chart shows similar drop for the .270 even when shooting 130 gr bullets, 38" at 500 yds. Maybe you're looking at some home grown loads that I don't have ballistics charts for, but I don't feel they shoot so differently that I would definitively pick one over the other based on how flat they shoot. They are the same case after all.

Also if you reload you will still get more versatility out of a 30-06 as far as bullet sizes go, at least on the upper end. 30-06 will shoot 125gr up to about 220gr, .270 will go from about 90gr to 150gr.

Again, I don't think either is a bad choice for deer, but I think the '06 is better for Elk, Moose, and other large game. So if you are looking for a varmint / Deer round, the .270 may be better. If you're looking for something to kill most every big game animal in north America, the '06 may be better.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:34 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:What are you comparing. A 150 Grain bullet coming out of either gun should have almost identical performance. The ballistics chart I looked at showed a 39" drop at 500yds with a 270 vs a 42" drop at 500 yds out of a 30-06. My ballistic chart shows similar drop for the .270 even when shooting 130 gr bullets, 38" at 500 yds. Maybe you're looking at some home grown loads that I don't have ballistics charts for, but I don't feel they shoot so differently that I would definitively pick one over the other based on how flat they shoot. They are the same case after all.

Also if you reload you will still get more versatility out of a 30-06 as far as bullet sizes go, at least on the upper end. 30-06 will shoot 125gr up to about 220gr, .270 will go from about 90gr to 150gr.

Again, I don't think either is a bad choice for deer, but I think the '06 is better for Elk, Moose, and other large game. So if you are looking for a varmint / Deer round, the .270 may be better. If you're looking for something to kill most every big game animal in north America, the '06 may be better.

I guess I wasn't looking specifically at trajectory so much as I was downrange energy. Here is the ballistics chart I used:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ballistics ... ml&x=4&y=5

There is a quite a variance depending on cartridge so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. The more I thought about this and talked with other people, the 270 is a better MI gun simply because it will never be used for anything bigger than a black bear around here. Out west it will be more than sufficient for Elk, but chances are my first trip or two out west would be for Mulies or Antelope and by the time I can afford to make that trip I would likely be able to afford a gun strictly for "Out West"...one that would handle elk, moose, brown bear, etc. This last reason is really the only reason I'm hung up on the 7mm-08 still. I know it won't make a great gun for out west, but it will do everything I need it to in MI.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:04 pm

If I had to choose between a .270 and 7mm-08, I would take the .270 over the 7mm-08. Again, either round will get it done on white tails and part of my reasoning is biased, as I have more experience with a .270 than 7mm-08.

In my previous post I meant no disrespect to the .270. You could take a .270 out west and kill elk and mulies all day. But I still feel the '06 is better suited for larger game than the .270.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:13 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:If I had to choose between a .270 and 7mm-08, I would take the .270 over the 7mm-08. Again, either round will get it done on white tails and part of my reasoning is biased, as I have more experience with a .270 than 7mm-08.

In my previous post I meant no disrespect to the .270. You could take a .270 out west and kill elk and mulies all day. But I still feel the '06 is better suited for larger game than the .270.

I agree completely, but since I've kinda realized that by the time I can afford a trip out west I likely will be able to afford something a little bigger (300 WM, 325 WSM, 338, etc) I am now thinking that a smaller caliber that could play the coyote/varmint/deer rifle is the better of the options.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Rather Be Hunting » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:19 pm

its good to narrow yourself to a couple of calibers. but dont get fixed on buying one. you might miss out on a great deal in another caliber. and if your considering getting a larger caliber gun in the future get the 270.
Rather Be Hunting
hunter

Postby Kurt » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:01 pm

I would rather have some one shoot a cal that they can hit with every time than one of the big mags. .270, 30-06 even 7mm-08 will do anything you need it to on all but the biggest of NA game like grilly bears. Use a good bullet put the time in at the range and you will be good to go.

PS dont forget about the good old .308 fun to shoot and kills lots of stuff
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:40 pm

I have shot elk with a 270, wouldn't recomend it. Fantastic deer round not so hot on elk. If you really want an all around caliber start with the 300's I am not a fan of the WM's but they are ok. I personaly shoot a 270 and a 300 Weatherby. I hand load my ammo and feel capable out to 450. It is really easy to find "light" 300 loads but getting a 270 to punch an elk is tuff. In my neck of the woods Everybody carries 300wm ammo including country gas stations. I also have a 7mm-08 the gf shoots, we have to handload it ammo is pretty rare, however it's a flat shooter with the right combo.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby rmb79 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:00 pm

I have a Remington 700 ADL in .270 and love it. I have shot many Wisconsin Whitetails, other varmits and antelope. I will be using this gun on my mule deer hunt out in Wyoming this year. You'll love the .270 Ammo is still cheap so if you find a good deal stock up.
Go Pack, the Bears still SUCK!

Co-Founder of the S.B.A.M.F.W.C.
rmb79
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:58 pm

Tealer wrote:I have shot elk with a 270, wouldn't recomend it. Fantastic deer round not so hot on elk. If you really want an all around caliber start with the 300's I am not a fan of the WM's but they are ok. I personaly shoot a 270 and a 300 Weatherby. I hand load my ammo and feel capable out to 450. It is really easy to find "light" 300 loads but getting a 270 to punch an elk is tuff. In my neck of the woods Everybody carries 300wm ammo including country gas stations. I also have a 7mm-08 the gf shoots, we have to handload it ammo is pretty rare, however it's a flat shooter with the right combo.

You might try midway USA.com for your 7mm-08 if you don't feel like reloading. I'm surprised you can't find it there in WA. All the major stores and the few gun stores I frequent always have some.
devildog28
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:09 am

Tealer wrote:I have shot elk with a 270, wouldn't recomend it. Fantastic deer round not so hot on elk. If you really want an all around caliber start with the 300's I am not a fan of the WM's but they are ok. I personaly shoot a 270 and a 300 Weatherby. I hand load my ammo and feel capable out to 450. It is really easy to find "light" 300 loads but getting a 270 to punch an elk is tuff. In my neck of the woods Everybody carries 300wm ammo including country gas stations. I also have a 7mm-08 the gf shoots, we have to handload it ammo is pretty rare, however it's a flat shooter with the right combo.

Hmm...I certainly don't have that first hand experience, but I do know and have read that a lot of the "famous" big game hunters have successfully used the 270 win to take elk, and in fact for a lot of them it is there preferred caliber.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:35 pm

I wouldn't count on gun writers to make your decision, but JOC actually preferred the 280 later, a fact many don't catch. I would prefer that to the 270 or -06...although between the two, I'd go 30-06.

If you are dead set on a CDL SF, I'd suggest the 257 Wby they are offering. The CDL CF is a right pretty gun, and deserves a sexy cartridge. Also plenty for anything you plan on hunting....
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Johnnyrad » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:41 am

HaaaYeeessss

just bought one last night I decided on the 300WSM, not much ammo out there but I have the reloading gear and thats just another part of the hunt I like. Great choise caliber used it to take down an Elk last year and what a beautiful rifle. enjoy.
Johnnyrad
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:27 pm

For hunting, 168gr TSX and RL22 sure works well for the 300 Wizzum.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby muddydog » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:23 pm

The 30-06 is the king when it comes to versatility. Its just hard to beat it for everything in North America. Ive owned a bunch of them. I have also owned alot of .270's and think there is not a better whitetail caliber made! I have never owned a 7mm-08 but it will be my next gun purchase in a Rem. 700. It will outperform either in terms of energy at 400yds. with common factory loaded whitetail bullets. And can be had in a shorter more compact rifle. Here in Texas, my go to rifle is a little Rem. 700 .243 with a 20" barrel. This gun works great for anything around here!
muddydog
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Tue May 19, 2009 1:06 pm

if hand loading for sure... 308... can sqeeze a smaller group out of it same bullet selections and would be the closest gun to double as a varmit round. i always have a M1a on every trip to shoot praire dogs here in Western Kansas ... longer ranges depend more on bullet grouping and shooter capibity than that of ft/lb energy and this is something i would hardly ever say but for larger game greater sufface area of the 308 over 270 is nice on larger game all in all

270 smaller version 30-06 no one will ever know which is a better deer gun our grandkids will debate this it is all personal experiance

7mm-08- very nice for recoil and a nice over all round in general it is a smaller version of the 308. 308 is a round all riflemen should have at least one of (or a few more than that...lol) reasones were aformentioned ...

best of luck with your chocie... truth is you will be happy any way you go ... is there really such a thing as a bad firearm...lol one day you might have one of each anyways ... :)
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Previous

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum