Evolution of my 22

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Evolution of my 22

Postby ajmorell » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:57 pm

Started out as your basic Marlin 882 SSV 22WMR, nothing to fancy, Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 mounted on it.

Started reading, looking, seeing what other people were doing and seeing what was available for it. First upgrade was the scope. Went from 3-9x40 to 6-18x50AO, again Bushnell Banner. Not the best scope in the world but does everything I need it to do.

Next upgrade was some trigger work and a laminate stock, both of which I got from Midway. The trigger pull is a Jard unit, 2lb pull. It is quite an improvement over the stock one. The stock is a Marlin gray laminate.

Final upgrades were the addition of a bipod and comb raising kit. The bipod is a Harris Ultralight. I thought about buying a cheaper one but read some bad reviews so opted for the Harris, which is a very nice unit. The comb raising kit is nothing special but it does make quite a difference for me in getting the sight plane lined up.

That's it for now.....anything else I do to this gun will have to be custom because there aren't many more factory available parts that are replaceable.:D
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Re: Evolution of my 22

Postby TommyW » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:20 pm

I had the same gun a few years ago. That gun is a little tack driver. You did a real nice job on it aj :thumbsup: . Make me wish I didn't sell mine now.
WHAT SAID IN THE BLIND STAYS IN THE BLIND
TommyW
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:43 pm

TommyW wrote:I had the same gun a few years ago. That gun is a little tack driver. You did a real nice job on it aj :thumbsup: . Make me wish I didn't sell mine now.

Thanks. I'm curious to know how this thing shoots the 30 grain Hornadys. So far the most accurate round out of it are the 33 grain Remington V-Max, averaging about 3/4-1" groups at 50 yards...but that was before any modifications. I'm hoping to be able to hold 3/4"-1" groups @ 100 yards now.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby REDGUN » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:53 am

Nice looking rig.
I have the blued Marlin in 17 hmr. Put a Rifle Basix trigger in it, now it shoots under 1" @ 100 yards.
REDGUN
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum