Is the AR15 adjustable stock worthless?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Is the AR15 adjustable stock worthless?

Postby 12gaugeLarry » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:49 pm

Hi everyone, I picked up my DPMS AR15 carbine with adjustable stock last Saturday. Waited months for it. I like everything about it except the 6 position adjustable stock. The steel ring for attaching the sling on the adjustable stock hurts my right hand. The AR15 isn't a hand friendly gun and I probably will wear gloves when I shoot it, but the adjustable stock just isn't pleasant to hold, use, adjust, etc. Just way too many edges to keep me from getting to work. I just think the fixed stock is about one inch too long for a carbine. I looked at a few adjustable stocks on line and they seem to have even nastier sharp edges than my stock. I mean heck if the SHTF I want to be able to grab this thing and rock and roll. I just don't see it happening smoothly with an adjustable stock. The gun looks so cool with the adjustable stock and the look is the reason I bought the gun but I'm really considering removing it. If anyone has an opinion please let me know. Thanks
Larry
12gaugeLarry
hunter

Re: Is the AR15 adjustable stock worthless?

Postby jrockncash » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:55 am

How much have you used it? You say it has sharp edges and is hurting your hand, maybe you can explain a little better. Is the stock digging into you or is something else hitting your hand? Im not sure Ive ever heard of that before. One more question, is it in .223 or some other caliber?

My first reaction though would be to leave it and practice a little more before you switch it out.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby 12gaugeLarry » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:01 am

When the stock is collapsed, the lever that adjusts the stock presses into my wrist and the sling ring presses into my forearm. The stock has too many points on it to keep my right hand from finding the pistol grip quickly. I just don't feel I can transition quickly from having the stock collapsed to firing position without getting hung up. My question is, if its not good for firing with the stock collapsed, why have it on the gun at all? I'm only saving 4 inches, maybe I should go with a full size stock? The caliber is 223, I have not fired it, yet. Thanks
Larry
12gaugeLarry
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:13 pm

Yeah, hey Larry I wouldnt take er off yet. Give it a good workout at the range and see if it still bothers you. Do you have a picture of it mounted to your shoulder? Maybe your form is off a bit, or maybe DPMS made a faulty model. The only thing I can think of is are you a great big dude? That may have something to do with it.

The other thing is if you do want to take it off and add a fixed stock or different type of adjustable stock you will have no problem selling it.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby 12gaugeLarry » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:04 pm

Hi, what kind of sling should I go with. I'm leaning towards a normal 2 point sling. I'm looking to hang it under my shoulder, never slung over my back. The DPMS one seems too short. Thanks
Larry
12gaugeLarry
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Mon May 11, 2009 11:57 pm

While I'll be the first to say the M4/collapsible stock stinks, it's not for the reasons you've stated. You can get past all of that and it'll work fine. The issues with the carbine stock are really a fault that is amplified with the shorter gas system/sight radius: it's more critical for cheek weld, and the carbine stock is tough to get a good weld on. I tied and glued para cord on mine in the army, with a knot to hit the corner of my mouth. I'd throw it up, my nose tip would be on the chargeing handle, mouth on the knot, and then I KNEW my eye was in the same plce every time...which gave more conistancy with irons and eliminated any issues with optics and eye placement. Now, I had a LOT of trigger time, too. An M4 still shoulders and points as fast as my best fitting shotguns, just because my body still remembers where it's 'supposed' to be. IMO, just shoot the pee out of it before you go monkeying with the stock. Learn the gun, and it'll tell you what needs fixing. Just my thoughts. :biggrin:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed May 13, 2009 4:10 am

If your looking for a shorter fixed stock there are several out there for entry carbines, I personally perfer the m4 stock and have them on all of my ar's except for my varminter which still has the fixed stock on it. I only use it colapsed when shooting from an off shoulder position. otherwise it is extended, I also shorten it for my kids to shoot so it fits them correctly. I have never noticed the position lever or sling attachment point getting in the way or even touching them while shooting or carrying the rifle.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby doublereed29 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:13 pm

As for sling. I recommend the Viking Tactics original (or get the padded one) I used it in Iraq for 16 months and it was pretty nice! You can tighten up the sling on your back to get it out of the way and with the pull of the string on the cinch it's long enough to shoulder and fire.

I liked it better than the Mamba sling, which was probably the most popular non-issued sling we bought over seas.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/pop1b.html

I'm not quite sure what to say about the issues with the collapsible butt stock. I've fired several different collapsible butt stocks and never had a problem. Maybe a photo or a video explanation would work better???
doublereed29
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum