Banned guns

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Banned guns

Postby lameduck » Sun May 03, 2009 12:51 am

If AR-15 type guns are banned again will you still be able to buy new uppers? On another note if the .50 cal is banned does that mean the .50 beowulf will be included? I have heard both ways about the beowulf and was just wondering.
lameduck
hunter

Re: Banned guns

Postby GroundSwatter » Sun May 03, 2009 3:43 pm

To be honest. I don't think anybody can answer these questions except the politicians that want to enact these laws, and I'm sure they can't even answer your questions. The people that want to pass these bans want to take away all of your guns, but since assault weapons are what most people are least concerned about, they are targeting them. Assault weapons are used in less than 3% of gun crimes and I'm pretty certain that just b/c they are banned, it won't prevent these types of crimes.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby lameduck » Mon May 04, 2009 3:08 pm

Thanks for the reponse.
lameduck
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed May 13, 2009 4:20 pm

I just wish people would quit calling them assult weapons, That was a term coined by the gun grabbers back when they wanted to ban the "black rifle" and other rifles with a "military appearance". I have several AR's and not one had assulted me or anyone else, A few vermin and a lot of paper but that is about it. I feel that they will try to ban certain traits of the rifles, Like the removable Magazines, I believe that there are some ar's being produced where you have to open the upper and load them from the top so that they satisfy the IDIOTS making the laws in CA. they will probably go after the threaded barrels and flash hiders too.

they might go after extended magazine tubes on shotguns and 10 round magazines for pistols too. I have also read of all these "technology" companies developing locking devices. some are proximity so you have to ware a ring or bracelet with a passive transmitter that activates the gun when it is brought near it. so you loose your bracelet and the gun is useless until you pay $200 for another bracelet. that would also give the ability for stores or anywhere you go have scanners set up and they can tell if you walk in with your pistol in your pocket. I do not think that that will be something that will happen soon but They say that it can be done now if gun makers want to use it.

I just purchased 3 more lowers to build a 30 rem-ar, 6.8SPC and a HyBred 223-243.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NickK » Wed May 13, 2009 5:31 pm

I feel your pain. Here in Canada, any AR is a RESTRICTED weapon. Which means that you need a handgun liscence to own it, a permit to transfer it from your house to the range, and that's it. You can't even hunt with them.
Nick
Love to duck hunt :)
NickK
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Thu May 14, 2009 7:08 pm

if they get the chance they will ban red riders... i would say the 50 beowulf would not be banded near as soon as 50 bmg ... this can be see with the 50 bmg band in CA but they still can have the 50 DTC which is roughly the same powered round. the last AWB didnt band the guns only what has be said earier it banded the traits of the guns treaded barrels, hi cap mag, folding stocks ect. ... any more info would be a pure guess on anyones part!
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Thu May 14, 2009 10:13 pm

I don't think it is called hunting, when one goes into the field hunting game with a 20 round Magazine or more...........

I think 5 rounds is more than enough for a true sportsman.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri May 15, 2009 4:05 am

Sagebrush wrote:I don't think it is called hunting, when one goes into the field hunting game with a 20 round Magazine or more...........

I think 5 rounds is more than enough for a true sportsman.

I am missing what this has to do with a ban on guns?

in MI is in not legal to hunt with a rifle that holds more than 5 rounds or a handgun that holds more than 8 or 9. 22 rimfires have no limit on rounds they can hold for hunting. And I have never have to fire more than one round at an animal anyway (with the exception of an ocasional duck or goose that is trying to swim away).

but 30 and 40 round magazines are just plain fun plink with and would be a pain to load it there were not removable so we can use our stripper clips to load them. and I like my 12 and 14 round 45acp mags and extended magazine tubes on my shotguns. :hammer:

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lameduck » Fri May 15, 2009 7:28 pm

gun grabbers? AR-15= Assault rifle 15 I agree with the statement but it is the name of the gun.
lameduck
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat May 16, 2009 3:59 am

lameduck wrote:gun grabbers? AR-15= Assault rifle 15 I agree with the statement but it is the name of the gun.

:lol: :huh: :no: :no: :huh: :lol:

Another mis-informed person. AR-15 was named for Armalite model 15. It was based on the AR-10 designed by Eugene Stoner of the Fairchild Armalite corp. Armalite sold the rights the the AR-10 and AR-15 to Colt in 1959 and it was still refered to the AR-15 due to the original manufacturer, AR-malite. NOT anything to do with Assult Rifle at all. that name never even was associated with any rifles until the 1990's when the gun grabbers so named them. Look it up....
:hammer:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Sun May 17, 2009 10:55 am

yellowlab wrote:the last AWB didnt band the guns only what has be said earier it banded the traits of the guns treaded barrels, hi cap mag, folding stocks ect. ... any more info would be a pure guess on anyones part!

If you look at the initial bill when these things are introduced, most of what they want to ban includes almost any semi-auto weapon including semi-auto hunting shotguns. They then whittle it down to something closer to what the last assualt weapons ban looked like. Again, it doesn't make sense to ban attributes or the guns they want to ban. The only reason they go after "Black Guns" is b/c that is the classification of gun we're most divided over. So many hunters say, "Well that doesn't affect me" and just don't care. The problem with this attitude is after they successfully band "Black Guns" what do you think they'll come after next?

These people don't want to ban just one type of gun, they want all of them banned. They're using divide and conquer tactics. I would suggest whether you own an AR-15 or not, that you say no to all anti-gun legislation. B/c once they punish those of us with "black guns" they're coming after our hunting guns next.

lameduck wrote:gun grabbers? AR-15= Assault rifle 15 I agree with the statement but it is the name of the gun.

I will second the AR stands for Armalite. Try not to let the propaganda of the gun grabbers cloud facts. Assault weapons is their coined term for guns that are actually used in less than 3% of gun crimes.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun May 17, 2009 11:38 am

It is correct that originally they called for a BAN on all Self loading firearms, Not just rifles but shotguns and handguns too. that would eliminate one of the most popular rifles built, The Ruger 10-22. not only are these semi-autos but they have detachable mags. I have semi-auto rifles, handguns and shotguns and want to keep my freedom of being to buy more when I want.

Personally I will fight aginst ANY gun ban if it directly effects me or not, I am tired of hearing these guys that claim to be sportsmen or pro gun and then say "well I do not have any of thoes rifles anyway so it does not effect me" and the hunters that make statements like " well you can't hunt with it so I don't care if it gets banned" Very ignorant people IMO.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don taylor » Sun May 17, 2009 9:00 pm

As it stands the 50 beo would be gone as well as muzzleloaders over 50.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yellowlab » Tue May 19, 2009 7:15 pm

the beowulf is only a .499 cal round thus it would stand a chance. compared to other rounds but yeah the aformentioned statements about all simi autos is very very correct.

GS makes a good point when he points out what anti guner try to make ar stand for... it is correct it is armalite rifle. so all pro gun people do need to quit refering to them at assult rifles ... any fire arm could be used for an assult on another ...

for all that think the ar platform is useless for hunting should maybe try it... i have been useing an ar platform for hunting many hunting applications. beowulf for hogs. .223 for parrie dogs/ yotes. just got a new upper 6.5 grendel for p dogs yotes and think i am going to maybe switch over to it for deer but weight might not let me do it ... i have introduced many anti gun people to teh standard ar platform just to plink with so as for them to understand it is just fun to just go and pull the trigger even if it is just seting up 30 pop bottle sized targets putting a 30 round clip in an m4 and seeing how fast one can take them down along with how many out of 30 ... even when i parrie dog hunt with my ar i use a 10 most the time and once in a while if the action is go a 20 but the 10 gives me enough time as to not heat the barrel up ... with a 20 i catch my self needing to let an upper cool down mid mag.

ok this seeming to just be a ramble for my own point of views.. thanks for your times... yellowlab
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don taylor » Wed May 20, 2009 10:10 pm

The Beowulf is gone because its on a AR platform. Its the rifle that shoots the caliber, not the caliber they want banned.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu May 21, 2009 4:18 am

don taylor wrote:The Beowulf is gone because its on a AR platform. Its the rifle that shoots the caliber, not the caliber they want banned.

I do not agree with this, They tried to include verbage that stated "firearms of .50 cal or larger" which includes the 500 S&W revolvers too.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu May 21, 2009 9:41 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:
don taylor wrote:The Beowulf is gone because its on a AR platform. Its the rifle that shoots the caliber, not the caliber they want banned.

I do not agree with this, They tried to include verbage that stated "firearms of .50 cal or larger" which includes the 500 S&W revolvers too.

I bet that includes Black Powder Rifles Too! :eek:
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu May 21, 2009 5:04 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:

I bet that includes Black Powder Rifles Too! :eek:

Black powder "guns" are not considered "firearms" by the BATF. so they would probably be left out in a loop-hole. but I do not want to see ANY bans.

I see that the senate attached something good to the new credit card bill (age limits etc.) that is going thru. They put in a section that allows you to carry your pistol in national parks if you have a state issued permit to carry concealed. How or why they stick these extras into bills is bayond me but I like this one....

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yellowlab » Fri May 22, 2009 8:44 am

on the last awb it did not band the platform it only banded features of these firearms. example a gun could only have 2 or 3 of what ever black listed features .. threaded barrel, pistol grip, bayonet lug, collapsible stock, vertical forarm grip, and others ... but you were still able to buy the platform is was just plan jane with no extras ... anti gunners would much rather have a blanket on all simis than try and go one platform at a time...

that on top of a max mag. limit is what takes away many of the perks of the ar system...

but to see a ban on the whole platform i would say is not anywhere in the near furture of being able to get passed. i am sure someone will write some bill that tries to ban anything but single shot break opens and bb guns but that doesnt mean it will get passed. we never really know what they might try to do... maybe they will go right after the ar platform and then Mr. Taylor can laugh at my tail between my legs...
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yellowlab » Fri May 22, 2009 8:54 am

[quote="GroundSwatter"]
If you look at the initial bill when these things are introduced, most of what they want to ban includes almost any semi-auto weapon including semi-auto hunting shotguns. They then whittle it down to something closer to what the last assualt weapons ban looked like. Again, it doesn't make sense to ban attributes or the guns they want to ban. The only reason they go after "Black Guns" is b/c that is the classification of gun we're most divided over. So many hunters say, "Well that doesn't affect me" and just don't care. The problem with this attitude is after they successfully band "Black Guns" what do you think they'll come after next?

[quote]

very well put sir!!! from so many aspects!
and yes ar does stand for Armalite Rifle but the rights were sold to colt so early in the process many do even know armalite was the key developer behind the 15
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum