ACOG W/ Ballistic Reticle

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

ACOG W/ Ballistic Reticle

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:45 am

So I'm planning on getting the Patrolman Carbine in the M4A3 style from Bushmaster soon. I'm also planning on throwing an ACOG with a ballistic reticle on there in the future. My question is, will the front sight post get in the way of reticle on my ACOG? I know a couple military guys are on here, and I know some Marine and Army units get issued ACOG's with the BR so I figured someone might be able to fill me in a bit.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN


Re: ACOG W/ Ballistic Reticle

Postby jrockncash » Wed May 13, 2009 6:54 pm

Definately shoot it a bunch before you go putting on a fancy scope. You will be amazed at how accurate you can be with the peep site that is on it. Ill write more later gotta go
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
User avatar
jrockncash
hunter
 
Posts: 2917
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:06 pm
Location: yelling at kids to get off my lawn.

Re: ACOG W/ Ballistic Reticle

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:42 pm

I know I can shoot fine with the ghost ring sights, but I really like the ACOG's and I can get it cheap.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: ACOG W/ Ballistic Reticle

Postby devildog28 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:17 pm

An Acog is going for about 1k+ these days. The magnification is really low and you'd be better of saving money for a whole other gun! It is SOOOOO not worth it.

On an A2 style weapon it's mounted on the carry handle which puts it higher than the front sight post. On an A4 style the front sight post is removable because of the rail mount system directly on the receiver since you were asking.

But seriously save your money you'd spend on the scope and get an M14 or something!

And for that matter don't get a bushmaster. I've handled them and IMO they are very cheaply made compared to RRA, FN, and Colt. Very loose fitting. Even the sights are A1 crappy style.
User avatar
devildog28
hunter
 
Posts: 2224
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Katy, TX

Re: ACOG W/ Ballistic Reticle

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:31 pm

I'm getting the Bushmaster brand new from the factory for $670 and I can get an ACOG with 3.5x and dual illumination for $500. I just need to know if I get the ACOG whether to get the ballistic reticle or not. Seems the front sight will get in the way for the longer yardages. I'm not going to get the ACOG till I get a new shotgun though.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: ACOG W/ Ballistic Reticle

Postby devildog28 » Sat May 16, 2009 12:31 am

Still wouldn't recommend a bushmaster no matter the cost. It's the Sigma of AR's. The others I mentioned are way better.

And since your dead set on getting an ACOG you don't need the BDC reticle because once the weapon is zeroed in on the 8/3 setting at 33M you'll have the same flat trajectory from 0 to 300 yards with iron sights. ACOG should be the the same. :thumbsup:

An ACOG is really meant to be fired with both eyes open, practice with the iron sights for a while first, and for crying out loud use a sling!!!!
User avatar
devildog28
hunter
 
Posts: 2224
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Katy, TX

Re: ACOG W/ Ballistic Reticle

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon May 18, 2009 10:41 am

It'll be awhile before the ACOG anyway, so I'll be using iron sights for some time. I use them with every gun I own for awhile anyway. I plan on buying a new duck gun before the ACOG. Thanks for the help DD. Have you heard any other horror stories from Bushmaster? You're the first one I've talked to that thought they were junky.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: ACOG W/ Ballistic Reticle

Postby devildog28 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:06 pm

Not horror stories, but many people I talk to share the same feelings I do on the matter.

I was issued both an FN and Colt in the Marines, have handled my brother's RRA, and shot the bushmaster. They really cut corners on the quality, such as putting REALLY CRAPPY A1 sights on them and loose fitting uppers and lowers. The metal seems very low quality also. The aforementioned makers would be my pick hands down.

There's a reason they cost less than others :thumbsup:
User avatar
devildog28
hunter
 
Posts: 2224
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Katy, TX

Re: ACOG W/ Ballistic Reticle

Postby 1FowlHNTR » Tue May 19, 2009 12:42 am

devildog28 wrote:Not horror stories, but many people I talk to share the same feelings I do on the matter.

I was issued both an FN and Colt in the Marines, have handled my brother's RRA, and shot the bushmaster. They really cut corners on the quality, such as putting REALLY CRAPPY A1 sights on them and loose fitting uppers and lowers. The metal seems very low quality also. The aforementioned makers would be my pick hands down.

There's a reason they cost less than others :thumbsup:

DEVILDOG,
so what ur saying is: IT'S A CIVILIAN VERSION OF THE ONE I LUG AROUND NOW? :huh:
:lol:
SERVICE MEMBERS....If you do not want to stand BEHIND US, feel free to stand IN FRONT OF US...
NRA LIFE MEMBER
DELTA WATERFOWL MEMBER
DUCKS UNLIMITED MEMBER
DUCK COMMANDER "DUCKAHOLICS" MILITARY MEMBER
REFUGE RAT MILITARY MEMBER
User avatar
1FowlHNTR
hunter
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:50 pm
Location: Republic of Texas

Re: ACOG W/ Ballistic Reticle

Postby yellowlab » Tue May 19, 2009 7:33 pm

ar15.com ... i think you will find a few better opions on the subject...

a short way to the end like 95% of all ar's are forged in the same 4 places hince the sortage there has been one new upcomign forging place since nov 2008 though i hate to tell DD but the parts inside and outside RRA and bushy and all but the same maybe he has just had an bad experinace with bushmaster and thus does not like them... i only own 2 factory ar-15's one of them being a bushmaster and have only shot 3(i think) colts which have proved nothing more to me than any other of my factory guns or home built guns... colts have been an over priced ar for a long while and in more current test have underpreformed many cheaper guns of today (stag,dpms and BUSHMASTER)... colt guns also have are a diffent sized up to lower pin size making for the switching out uppers and lowers not quite as easy as why we love our ars so much .... ok i am done... might be a little like duhhh on this post...lol sorry guys
User avatar
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:57 pm
Location: kansas

Re: ACOG W/ Ballistic Reticle

Postby devildog28 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:37 pm

1FowlHNTR wrote:
devildog28 wrote:Not horror stories, but many people I talk to share the same feelings I do on the matter.

I was issued both an FN and Colt in the Marines, have handled my brother's RRA, and shot the bushmaster. They really cut corners on the quality, such as putting REALLY CRAPPY A1 sights on them and loose fitting uppers and lowers. The metal seems very low quality also. The aforementioned makers would be my pick hands down.

There's a reason they cost less than others :thumbsup:

DEVILDOG,
so what ur saying is: IT'S A CIVILIAN VERSION OF THE ONE I LUG AROUND NOW? :huh:
:lol:


No it's worse.
User avatar
devildog28
hunter
 
Posts: 2224
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Katy, TX

Re: ACOG W/ Ballistic Reticle

Postby devildog28 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:41 pm

yellowlab wrote:ar15.com ... i think you will find a few better opions on the subject...

a short way to the end like 95% of all ar's are forged in the same 4 places hince the sortage there has been one new upcomign forging place since nov 2008 though i hate to tell DD but the parts inside and outside RRA and bushy and all but the same maybe he has just had an bad experinace with bushmaster and thus does not like them... i only own 2 factory ar-15's one of them being a bushmaster and have only shot 3(i think) colts which have proved nothing more to me than any other of my factory guns or home built guns... colts have been an over priced ar for a long while and in more current test have underpreformed many cheaper guns of today (stag,dpms and BUSHMASTER)... colt guns also have are a diffent sized up to lower pin size making for the switching out uppers and lowers not quite as easy as why we love our ars so much .... ok i am done... might be a little like duhhh on this post...lol sorry guys


The one I fired didn't impress me and it wasn't old by any means. I have heard of the quality on the newer ones sucking compared to the old ones. It's just like a Ford and Chevy thing to me. I just think the other manufacturers do a better job of making them.
User avatar
devildog28
hunter
 
Posts: 2224
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Katy, TX

Re: ACOG W/ Ballistic Reticle

Postby yellowlab » Fri May 22, 2009 9:06 am

devildog28 wrote:The one I fired didn't impress me and it wasn't old by any means. I have heard of the quality on the newer ones sucking compared to the old ones. It's just like a Ford and Chevy thing to me. I just think the other manufacturers do a better job of making them.


yeah ford chevy very well put. i havent shot a newer bushmaster since the remington buy out... but from why i have heard parts are still coming form the same places ... but i did notice some finishing fawls on a couple bushmaster the other day that i had never really seen on any of the older ones but this could have been a isolated case too...?
User avatar
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:57 pm
Location: kansas


Return to Rifle and Handgun forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests