Best Ar-15 on the market

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Best Ar-15 on the market

Postby Ohio Wildfowler » Thu May 21, 2009 7:17 pm

I have to say ,I don't know a lot about the Ar-15's but I'm thinking about buying one to serve both varmint and protection needs. I'm guessing a 20" barrel would be best for the hunting part.I want a removeable carry handle so I can mount a scope also unless I can do both and couldn't tell you the difference in an A2 or A3 handle.I looking to see what is the best brand on the market , I have looked at Bushmaster,DPMS and saw a M&P.

Thanks for any help.
Tim

DU Committee (Miami County)

Take a kid hunting today and pass the tradition on to tomorrow.

There is always a need for speed with steel shot
Ohio Wildfowler
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Best Ar-15 on the market

Postby drakechaser » Thu May 21, 2009 8:04 pm

Stag Arms but good luck finding one. I like the M&P. I've put lots of rounds through one without the first hiccup.
"It's not that liberals aren't smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so" - President Ronald Reagan
drakechaser
hunter

Postby Norsky » Fri May 22, 2009 4:57 am

From what others have been saying it all has to do with how closely the parts have been fitted. There is a place up here in Minnesota that builds them. I think it's called Dedicated Technologies. I looked at his option of a 17 Rem in the AR system. He was making some 25 WSSM on the AR 10 system. http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/mili%20Guns.htm
Norsky
hunter

Postby REDGUN » Fri May 22, 2009 7:22 am

Lots of good ones available. I have a Colt H-BAR that shoots handloads into 1/2" moa. One friend has a Bushmaster carbine, another has a collapsable stock Rock River. All have been good. Can't remember any of our three ever jamming.
REDGUN
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri May 22, 2009 8:04 am

I have a Rock River and its a fine gun. I'm not sure if its the best on the Market, but I've never had a jam.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri May 22, 2009 4:30 pm

The A-2 handle is fixed and the A-3 handle is mounted on a flat-top receiver. About the rest I don't know. I don't own an AR, but am going to buy a Bushmaster soon.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby birddog crazy » Sat May 23, 2009 7:37 pm

I have owned bushmaster , colt and dpms . the best one so far has been the dpms for reliability and very accurate. My dpms is 16 inch barrel , flat top , 4 rail handguard , 4 rail gas block , flip up iron and rear sights,plus with a tac star flash light, high power green laser , and a red - green dot scope.
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cjg » Sun May 24, 2009 5:56 pm

Check out the Remington R15, looks pretty good. I have wanted one for awhile, but I've gone to buy one, cash in hand and when I pick them up they just feel wrong to me. Still don't have one.
cjg
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun May 24, 2009 6:19 pm

You have to remember that they are all Mil Spec so the tolerances are pretty much the same on all of them. I have had too many to count and have built several from no name receivers and parts. the no-name parts usually end up having been produced by the same machine shops that make the parts for most of the name brand rifles. Some machine their own uppers and lowers and some contract them out. Several use Wilson barrels and some use Shaw. I have never had a BAD AR and some have been real loose fitting but never missed a beat and the accuracy is fantastic. If I get a loose one I can usually find an upper or lower to switch around to tighten them right up but it is not necessary. The ones remington is selling currently are Made by DPMS but were originally contracted to Bushmaster. I have not verified this but it makes sense that they would have someone else built the AR platforms for them.

Now if I had my choice in a factory built rifle it would definately be a Bushmaster with RRA a close second. I perfer to build my own. working on a 30 remington AR for my daughter to hunt with.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby devildog28 » Sun May 24, 2009 11:45 pm

Colt or FN.
devildog28
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon May 25, 2009 5:16 pm

My opinion on Colt is you're paying for a name. Just my .02. If I wasn't getting a Bushmaster for dirt cheap I'd get a DPMS.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue May 26, 2009 4:32 am

Preacher1011 wrote:My opinion on Colt is you're paying for a name

in this case I agree, Too many people are under the impression that colt invented the AR and that not the case. They are as good an any other but the ones I have seen were not as tight fitting as the RRA or bushmasters. As I stated in another post about banned guns, Armalite was the originator of the AR platform (AR stands for armalite Rifle) and colt just bought the rights from them.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby devildog28 » Tue May 26, 2009 5:21 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:
Preacher1011 wrote:My opinion on Colt is you're paying for a name

in this case I agree, Too many people are under the impression that colt invented the AR and that not the case. They are as good an any other but the ones I have seen were not as tight fitting as the RRA or bushmasters. As I stated in another post about banned guns, Armalite was the originator of the AR platform (AR stands for armalite Rifle) and colt just bought the rights from them.

Yep you're right about the name, but I'll take a colt or FN anyday over the others!
devildog28
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue May 26, 2009 9:29 pm

Surprised that no one has mentioned LMT...among a few others.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby msmall » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:01 am

Love my Colt HBAR ......... never lets me down. I bought a 6.8 SPC upper last year for it and it has really turned it into a versatile gun.
msmall
hunter

Postby MM » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:36 pm

Best for the money is Rock River Arms. They are mid priced but great quality. All my friends and I have RRA and have shot thousands of rounds in a day and have never had a jam or mis feed. I don't think there are any "bad" AR's but there are definately better ones...
Like us on facebook! Reelfishingchat.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ReelFishi ... 6234462878
MM
Super Moderator

Postby fenton_3 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:14 am

You should check out the new ruger SR-556 - it is a gas piston operated AR-15 platform rifle. Everyone knows the AR-15 is far superior to the AK-47 when it comes to accuracy, but when it comes to reliability the AK has the AR beat. The AR-15's gas operating system tends to cause issuses if you do not clean properly due to hot gases and dirt getting into the action from the gas only system. With the addition of the piston operation the AR is now in the class of the m-14 and AK-47 with their gas piston operating system. This will keep all that gunk out of the action and in the gas tube where it belongs. The Ruger SR-556 is the first affordible ($1,600) gas piston system with a full length 1919 Troy industries rail! For the price I think the Ruger will be hard to beat! I sold my Bushmaster M4 about 2 years ago to buy a m14, but once the ar platform started adopting the piston I have been back in the market. The SR-556 will be my next rifle purchase for sure!!!
fenton_3
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:53 pm

Unless its a revolver I stay away from anything Ruger. Doesnt Sig and FN make an AR with those same features?
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby fenton_3 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:17 pm

Well I doubt ruger actually makes the gun - they just stamp their name on it like every other ar-15 maker. These "mil-spec" parts are made in machine shops and then each company just stamps them with their name. The parts on the Ruger are all made by great companies like Troy industries flip up sights and quad rail. Dont be fooled into thinking one maker is better than the other. They are all the same!!! Just make sure you get the crome lined barrels and chamber if you are looking for that mil-spec tollarence, but if you want more accuracy then dont get the crome lined - like for a varnmit rig. Ruger has started outsourcing most the new stuff like the SR-556 and the LCP "kel-tek".
fenton_3
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:48 pm

There are subtle things that can make an AR 'better', and which of those small things makes one 'better' will be up to you. Several makers like Sun Devil, Mega, and others make lowers machined out of billet, which can give you more accurate tolerances and/or a heavier/thicker walled receiver, with magwell funnels, etc. The same with the upper.....you can get uppers that are billet OR are made one-piece with the forward rail attached, allowing for thicker walls, etc. to help support heavier barrels and rails, etc....again, I know Sun Devil and VLTOR offer these types of uppers, but there are others. As to barrels, some makers actually use the harder, more thickly chrome lined, M249 machine gun rated bbls....Noveske, Barrett, etc. You can get stainless internal parts for your lower, stainless or chromed national match bolt carriers from folks such as Young MFg, etc. You can go crazy with stocks, rails, etc. too. You can get piston conversion kits from just about everywhere, now. My point: I'm not sure that anyone actually builds/sells the completed 'best' AR (for everyone's every need).....but you can build the best one for YOU by deciding what your needs and wallet can agree on. :biggrin: I have plans to beuild a super-duper, no holds barred 'perfect' AR....ine day. Right now, the simple midlength/M4 to mil-spec fullfills all of my current requirements for a KISS battle/end of society rifle. :biggrin: I have two more I just finished on Yankee Hill lowers, with M&A, DPMS LPKS, etc....that are just for two more 'Oh crap' guns.....first use of M&A stuff, and it seems okay thus far.
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby sawyer'sdad » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:00 pm

I've got an olympic arms and its a tack driver right out of the box. A good blackrifle for under $1000 IMO.
"Black Cloud and black labs", that sounds like a good country song!
sawyer'sdad
hunter

Postby Sinister » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:06 pm

For me its Stag Arm's because they don't discriminate against people like me who were born sinister and don't want to shoot a right handed gun. :wink:
Sinister
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum