6.8spc vs .243 on hogs?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

6.8spc vs .243 on hogs?

Postby lameduck » Sun May 31, 2009 11:31 am

So I was looking at getting a 6.8 spc upper because everything I read said that it is a great hog round. Then I saw that the R-25 comes in .243 and everything I have read said that it is a little too light. I went to the Remington sight and did the ballistics comparison on the ultra locked? and the .243 has superior ballistics in every way, and is easily found. I can also throw a dpms .308, .338 win, 7mm 08 upper on it. Can someone tell me why everyone believes the 6.8 is magic while .243 is bunk? I have killed a ton of hogs with the .270 I was just looking for something a little less expensive than $30 a box, but mainly a reason for a new rifle. For that matter I have killed many hogs with 22-250, I just took head shots. Can someone help me out?
lameduck
hunter

Re: 6.8spc vs .243 on hogs?

Postby 1FowlHNTR » Sun May 31, 2009 1:54 pm

Lameduck....
I think you answered your own question with the .22-250 statement. I've killed hogs with a .17 HMR. It's all about ethical ranges, and shot placement. Whatever you pick, post pics!! :thumbsup:
SERVICE MEMBERS....If you do not want to stand BEHIND US, feel free to stand IN FRONT OF US...
NRA LIFE MEMBER
DELTA WATERFOWL MEMBER
DUCKS UNLIMITED MEMBER
DUCK COMMANDER "DUCKAHOLICS" MILITARY MEMBER
REFUGE RAT MILITARY MEMBER
1FowlHNTR
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Sun May 31, 2009 10:38 pm

I'd roll .243 over the SPC in a heartbeat.

I'd give serious thought to anything else said by someone who wouldn't.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:56 am

i am sure most people would say 6.8 over 243 purely based on bullet sufface area... an idea that i think means very little becuase of modern bullet preformances but i would be willing to bet this would be the way of thinking behind it... some people just think it is so much better to put a bigger entry hole in something. while i would tend to stat that bullet type and construction is much more importain!

also everyone testing 6.8 would be testing it out of an ar platform thus have many "backup" and putdown rounds at hand where as not very many at all would be testing the the 243 within an ar10 platform thus it could come to a simi vs a old or single shot way of thinking on the 243 cal. this would give the 6.8 (for lack of a better term) and "unfair advantage" over the 243.

i would think the above reasons would be why people might say one is good while the other is bad!!! hope this was kinda what you were looking for!
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lameduck » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:16 am

Most of the people bashing the 243 says that it lacks penetration, and the 6.8 has a bigger hole and no one complains about penetration. That does not make sense, it would seem that if you are punching a bigger hole you would need more energy to penetrate as deep as a thin bullet, and the 6.8 bullet is only 15 grains heavier, and moves much slower. That would make me think the 243 will penetrate deeper than the 6.8 and that is what everyone says is important. Thanks for all the input this basically confirmed what I was thinking. And a huge plus is you can still go to walmart and pick up 243, when they are out of everything else.
lameduck
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:39 pm

I would pick the 243 every time if I didnt already have a 223 and 308.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:25 pm

lameduck wrote:Most of the people bashing the 243 says that it lacks penetration, and the 6.8 has a bigger hole and no one complains about penetration. That does not make sense, it would seem that if you are punching a bigger hole you would need more energy to penetrate as deep as a thin bullet, and the 6.8 bullet is only 15 grains heavier, and moves much slower. That would make me think the 243 will penetrate deeper than the 6.8 and that is what everyone says is important. Thanks for all the input this basically confirmed what I was thinking. And a huge plus is you can still go to walmart and pick up 243, when they are out of everything else.

good conclusion!

243 will give you a higher ft/lbs of energy at impact for sure! ammo being easy to obtain is a big plus right now for sure. and you are right about 243 penetration! many people try to compare the 243 with big 30 cal rounds and that is not in the same catigory at all doesnt make since and even more... people need to remember the 243 is a great doubler for a varmit round thus many of its bullets selections are just for that and should not be use to take such game as deer. for deer the right bullet should be selected and used (read the box or at least look at the pictues on the side of the box!) i am sure you will be happy with either pick as well welcome to the side of the black rifle. warning though once you have one many seem to follow!!!
best of luck on your next hog hunt!
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:29 pm

The 243 will have higher "impact energy" but in my experience the smaller cal bullets just do not have the same "shock" effect as bigger cals do. the 6.8 drops faster but that does not matter in the short range of hog hunting but I would wait for the new remington 30-AR. I have seen a lot of deer taken with a 243 but I am not impressed with its performance and have had to fire "finishing shots" on deer hit with a 243. Not that that is a big deal but I am used to the effects of a 30 cal on deer and never seen a chest shot deer go more than a few steps if any at all. Now when we butcher hogs we pop them in the head with a 22lr pistol from about 6' and they never move so I think the 243 would be just fine for hogs as long as they are not monsters that want to eat you after you hit them. Then I would stick to a bigger cal. I do know guys that hunt feral (spelling?) hogs with 357mags and 45acp's.

One point you made that I completely try to pay attention to is AVAILABILITY. I like to be able to buy ammo if by chance the airline lost it or I just forgot to bring it..... but I also like the ODD AR cals just because... :beer:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MissedAgain » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:16 pm

I really like my .243. I use it and my 30-06 sits in the safe.

The whole idea of trying to make a .243 equal to a .270 or larger bullet is absurd. Those are the same guys who say you need to drive a diesel to pull a 14 ft boat. :hammer:

The .243 is a proven killer with a great track record from deer to elk. Yes - a bunch of people hit the slopes every year to shoot an elk with the .243. Good bullets & shot placement is what it is all about.

Now, for piggies - no problem. They die easy. I've only shot 15 or so but they die quickly when hit well - thru the lungs mainly.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby msmall » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:56 am

I've used the 6.8 SPC on hogs and found it to be a damn good round on them. The ammo for the .243 is cheaper and more plentiful but whatever you decide do yourself a favor and practice, practice, practice, and practice some more. Both rounds will kill a hog so long as you do your part and put the bullet where it will kill the animal.
msmall
hunter

Postby kenjs1 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:27 am

Do you reload? If so then all doors are open. I think the cool factor of the 6.8spc , especially in that type firearm has merit -but of course it only matters to the owner. A 243 with a good stout X-bullet or bonded type will certainly work as you know. Of all the caliber choices you listed I would probably opt for the 7mm-08. Start throwing 140 grainers and you begin seeing meaningful differences. You standard bullets now start equaling or bettering the 243 with a higher sectional density than a 100 grain 243 so the penetration will be there but you are adding 40% weight (140 grain which is standard in the 7-08). . Comparing velocities you will see a very small advantage in the 243 -nothing in real field terms but the energy advantage at 100 yards is overwhelmingly in favor of the 7mm08 by 500ft, pounds. That is very significant and would give me a better feeling before pulling the trigger on something that might weight over 350 pounds. The recoil on the 7mm-08 is more but still less than a 270 so it is very manageable. My first choice would be a 260Rem.
kenjs1
Newb

Postby lameduck » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:30 pm

Well here it is... I ended up getting a R-25 243. I had a little buyers remorse and thought I should have gotten a 308 but I have gotten over it. I am going to slowly build a 308 upper with a 16 in barrel for when I am strictly hunting hogs.
Attachments
R-25 2.jpg
lameduck
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum