New Ruger LCP

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

New Ruger LCP

Postby fenton_3 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:40 am

Went into Cabelas last Sunday and what do you know they had a few in stock! It was the first LCP I have seen in person and I was very impressed. It is definatly a direct copy of the Kel-Tec p3at, but ruger really cleaned-up the design. The fit and finish of the gun was much nicer and the feel was good in the hand (for a gun of that size anyway). I have a Kel Tec p32 and the LCP is slightly bigger and weighs just a bit more. When I fist got my p32 I had reliability problems, but I have since replaced the plastic junk guide rod with a steel one from Kel Tec and the gun functions perfectly. So I was happy to see the LCP came with a steel guide rod. The finger rest on the LCP clips are second to none and I bought a second off ebay so both of my mags will have them. The trigger pull is a bit heavy compared to the p32, but I do not mind since it is added safty on a saftyless gun. Now only if I could find some .380 ACP ammo I could tell you how the darn thing shoots. I have some on back order from Cabelas but it will be atleast a month before I get it! If it functions as well as my p32; this gun will be the ticket. I enjoy carrying the p32 but the .32 ACP is definatly a defensive only caliber and is lacking any real stopping power. My other carry is a MK40 but I cannot get away with carrying it durring the warmer months without a jacket. The LCP with a pocket holster is just about perfect. The .380 ACP is still a defensive only catritge, but has an edge over the .32 ACP for sure. If I wanted to step up to a nine I believe they are just slightly to big and heavy for comfortable front pocket carry and will be harder to conceal in the summer months. For all of you that carry 1911's, sig 229's, glocks, and XD's - how do you conceal durring th summer months? My MK40 prints even with an insdie the panst holster and a baggy tee. Well just wanted to let you know about the LCP and as soon as I find some ammo I will let you know how it shoots.
fenton_3
hunter

Re: New Ruger LCP

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:12 pm

Nice review, I am waiting to get my hands on the LCR. I carry a "J" frame S&W 38 spl in my front pocket. I had a Keltec but my hand size and grip causes me to drop the magazine when I fire them. let us know how it shoots.... :beer:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:21 am

Warmer months aren't a big problem here. Granted I can't carry yet, but my dad and uncle both carry either full size Glocks or the XD Tactical. They either wear paddle holsters or just wear it on their belt and wear a baggy tee-shirt. If it shows it really doesn't matter around here, because you can open carry if you want.

If you want a step up from the .380, check out Ruger's new LCR. We got one in yesterday at work and it is a VERY light pistol, and has an excellent trigger pull. It's more bulky than the LCP, but I'm not a fan of anything under a .38 myself.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dingbatter » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:10 pm

Got my LCP in March along with 250 rds of ammo, I feel pretty lucky. Its a great gun too.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby fenton_3 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:09 pm

After waiting a month to get some ammo to shoot the new LCP I walked into my local Wal-Mart and they had 200rds. I promptly bought it all just adding to why we have an ammo shortage in the first place. Went to the range on Saturday and the litle gun did ok. I did have some slow feeds and one stovepipe jam. I assume just like my Kel tec P32 there is a break in period. After I got 200rds throught the p32 it was fine. But in the end I am a little disappointed because it cast some doubt on the funciton of my defensive gun. Makes me think "should I be carrying my p228 or p229?" both of which have never had a single hickup! I will give it another try and run some corbon 90 gr +p through it to see if it has settled in yet. If not it will be sold and I will purchase a p3at kel-tec. The fit, finish, and look of the LCP is better, but do the perps really car what your gun looks like? I will give another update after I go back this weekend.
fenton_3
hunter

Postby sawyer'sdad » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:52 pm

My wife has one and she loves it! A very good gun for the money I think. I would like to get one for myself, it would be great to carry in the summer months. We got the crimson trace for it too and its a great advantage. The only problem is a lack of ammo!
"Black Cloud and black labs", that sounds like a good country song!
sawyer'sdad
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum