1911 newbie

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

1911 newbie

Postby swampwise » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:42 pm

i just bought my first 1911, a used taurus model pt1911. i understand these are very cuztomizable guns, but i've never owned one. anybody got any pointers for a noob?
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Re: 1911 newbie

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:31 pm

You don't want my opinion... :hammer: I don't like Taurus, won't own one. Anywho, from what Taurus says it's already customized. There isn't really anything to do to it. I'd put a new full length guide rod in it (they come in bent sometimes). As for the rest, have fun. You can get different style safeties and everything. Just about anything moving on a 1911 can be customized. If you redo everything on there, you might have a decent gun. I'd definitely get a beveled magazine well if you're wanting to carry it. :beer:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby devildog28 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:34 pm

Its good you got a 1911 but I would skip on the mods, save your money and mod a better 1911. Just keep that one for snakes etc.
devildog28
hunter

Postby birddog crazy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:31 am

I have owned several taurus's from revolvers to auto's in fact my conceal gun at the animal hospital is a taurus pt104 otherwise I carry a 1911 by smith or springfield or a springfield xd 45 . never had the 1911 from taurus , but if made like the other guns it should be ok, great warranty ,I prefer the smith and wesson or springfield armory 1911's over most other companys including taurus, very nice guns and really not that much more in price.
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:24 pm

Every year Gander Mountain sends a couple employees from each store to what they call the Shot Show. All kinds of vendors bring their guns and let the employees shoot them, then tell about their products. Last year a the people from our store came back and the Taurus 1911 fell apart on them. :eek: Literally fell apart in their hands. The Taurus rep apologized to the whole show and said their products have issues, but they are supposed to redo their whole line of pistols this year.

With that, I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm just trying to give you some truth. On the other hand we sell a few of the 1911's by Taurus and people seem to like them. We've also had quite a few come back. Mostly bent/broken guide rods, recoil springs and the like. Not something you want to break on you if you have to use your weapon in a defense situation. Like birddog said though, they really do have a good warranty, which is life time. However, most of your manufacturers are the same way.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:08 am

First off, welcome to the 1911 crowd...there's nothing better than the feel and function of one of John Browning's masterpieces.

As far as what to do to it, I'd save your money on mods for now, buy ammo and shoot hell out of it. Then, after a couple thousand rounds you'll have a better feel for what you really want or need in a pistol and can go from there. At that time you may decide to modify the Taurus or better yet get a new piece that already has many the features you desire and trick it out from there...after all, the only thing better than your first 1911 is your second, then third, and so on.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby kenjs1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:24 am

+1 to apexhunter- sound advice. Only thing I would add is to take it completely apart, degrease and clean it thoroughly with gun scrubber (or break cleaner), check out the feed ramp and maybe polish it with an emory cloth (which takes about five seconds) then lube it properly and work the action to see how it feels now. You can get pages of advice on lube recommendations but anyone of them will prove fine if applied properly. I follow a rule imparted to me a while back - grease anything that slides and oil anything that pivots. I do the strip and lube to any gun I buy - if for no other reason than peace of mind and to gain a familiarity with the take down process. During the inspection you may just discover the reason the gun was sold in the first place. Small metal filings her or there, a rough ramp, no lube etc... Now that you know it is lubed properly go shoot the heck out of it. Don't fear it. One tip imparted by an excellent shooter was to start with a tiny target at a greater distance than you think you can hit -rather than a big target up close. What was the phrase- aim small- miss small.
kenjs1
Newb

Postby apexhunter » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:07 am

Actually, not starting an arguement here, but the best way to establish good trigger control and accuracy is to start with a small target at close distance. By aiming at a 2" or so circle at 3-5 yards, one can see where they are shooting more easily and can determine if it is a sight alighment or trigger pull issue. With practice, once the groups shrink to well inside the 2" at that given distance, back up to 7 yards and repeat, then 10 yards and so on until consistently small groups are shot at POI at the distance.

I do totally agree with breaking down, examining and properly lubricating the pistol while reassembling prior to shooting as it definitely allows one to familiarize themselves with the parts and pieces and to assure proper functioning before live fire.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:27 am

Good mags and ammo.

Shoot a bit, and you will figure out what you want/need. Then use that money toward another 1911.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:41 am

For starting a target like one of these is good for finding shooting errors:

http://www.svtreffers.nl/media/download ... alysis.pdf

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby swampwise » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:21 pm

solid advice, thanks for it. the reason i went with taurus was the price, for sure. i can't afford to drop 800 bucks on a gun i'm not sure i will like. like i said, this is my first 1911, and so far i like it just fine. do sights have to be changed by a gunsmith or can i do it myself? mine has straight eights on it and i HATE them.
assateague wrote:

swampwise
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:30 pm

I'm not sure how Taurus puts there's on there. I don't know if the front sight is completely fixed or not. Personally I'd take it to a smitthy. At Gander Mtn they'll put night sights on there for 100 bucks and that includes the Trijicon night sights and the installation.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:17 am

Not digging the Straight 8s? Those are the best thing about a Taurus!

Figure out what you want, and take it to a smith. Check out Novaks.....
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby swampwise » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:27 pm

now if we only had a gander mtn. close by...

i just cant acquire the straight eights as fast as i can the three dots. call it training or habit, i just dont like em.

the sights are dovetailed. are all dovetails the same?
assateague wrote:

swampwise
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:49 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:I'm not sure how Taurus puts there's on there. I don't know if the front sight is completely fixed or not. Personally I'd take it to a smitthy. At Gander Mtn they'll put night sights on there for 100 bucks and that includes the Trijicon night sights and the installation.

Is that price national preach?
devildog28
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:56 pm

I believe so. I'm not sure if you have to buy the gun from us or not. If you want I'll look into it tomorrow when I work. It should definitely be for every Gander though. I'll look tomorrow for you though and talk to our gun smith.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby devildog28 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:40 am

I bought the 1911 from them anyways. The GS we have from how I've seen him interact seems like a great guy to work with.
devildog28
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:11 pm

devildog28 wrote:I bought the 1911 from them anyways. The GS we have from how I've seen him interact seems like a great guy to work with.

Then you outta be alright. 99 bucks for the sights and installation of Trijicons ain't too shabby.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum