First attempt using photoshop

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

First attempt using photoshop

Postby sportsman » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:46 pm

I was just wondering if anybody could help out and give me a few pointers. I edited this using my schools Cs3 program. Also I would love to hear feedback from you! This was kind of a test to see what all I could do and I think with time I could get better.
Finish
Original
sportsman
hunter

Re: First attempt using photoshop

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:12 pm

There are guys around that can work miracles with photo shop and I am not one of them. The one thing that stands out to me with your pic is the light conditions when you took the pic. The best thing to do is try and get the pics as good as you can with the settings on the camera then try to work out any editing after that. It looks like you took the pic in low light with the iso at 100 and your shutter speed at 1/250 of a sec. The sensor didn't get enough light to really bring out the colors with such a fast shutter speed so you had to brighten the pic when you edited it. You could try to slow your shutter speed down to 1/60 to 1/100 of a second and allow the sensor to get more light and this should make a pic like this one in low light easier to edit. You could also increase your iso to 2 or 300 and set the white balance to cloudy instead of on auto. A lot of cameras get the white balance wrong on auto and do better if set by the user.

How do you like that a300? I believe that the sony line is the favorite of Rem1100.

This is only advice from another beginner but there are a couple of guys on here that could probably help you out more. Keep shooting and showing your pics this one is not to bad :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:30 am

If you could use a polarizer which is diffificult on a rotating lens then you would have something better to work with.
It seems you have a little bit of flare ..you should use the lens hood . On the edit up the exposure abit and up the contrast a tiny amount..you might want to add in some fill light as the subject seems to be in the shados in which case you should have used the fill light flash..you shoot the subject at it line of height in this shot you should have crouched down and got lesswashed out ater wave detail
Since the depth of field is shallow and the tail feathers area bit soft you could touch that part up also a little bit of shadow will bring in some detail and sharpen up the pic abit.
On the A300 you can have something better to work wih if you go to Vivid and set the contrast to +3 and color to +1 and sharpness to +3 and shoot at spot metering and also turn on the dynamic optimizer depending on the speed of the lens for this shot you could go to EV +.3
Shoot in aperture prioriity mode and on most Minolta lens set the f stop to 7.1- f8 and the shutter speed will follow. you can leave the ISO on auto or a hammern sugst up it to maybe 200
Then you have something half decent to work on in photo shop and maybe produce stunning results.
I wish I had photo shop or something good..all I have is the Sony program and a free trial downloads like AC and picaso
Most of my pics are barely touched up
Which lens are you using?
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby sportsman » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:54 am

REM1100 wrote:Which lens are you using?

I was using the 75-300mm. Thank you for all the help. If you keep helping me ill keep getting pics :) and ultimately work towards becoming better
sportsman
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:23 pm

The 75-300mm f4.5-5.6 ( slow) is a good lens only if it is the one of two if it is really heavy then it is the Big Beercan or if it is lighter and has a spiral grip and foam manual focus ring the it is the NEw model
However if you have the one that Says Sony or the Silver one then it is going to be crap and real soft at the longer focal end
These lens work best at 300mm at f8-f9 and at 75mm at f5.6.

Try to get a 1.4x teleconverter for more reach and if the opp comes buy the Beercan 70-210mm f4 or 100-200 f4.5 for some good pics
As Usual try differnt modes as sometims I shoot preset Program Mode whereby the pic is set vivid and the camera will autoimatically pick the best speed and f stop
If you shoot Aperture Priority and preset Vivid stuff you control the f stop and shutter speed follows accordingly.

Try some shots and experiment and you will see results as I have tested many Minolta Lens and combo settings.
Ask me if you have any problems or explanations
Shooting pics is relaxing challenging and fun and kind of catch and release..don't get me wrong during hunting season i CAN WACK THEM AND STACK THEM ALSO
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum