Camera?/opinions

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

Camera?/opinions

Postby cam liden » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:51 am

I was just wondering if any body knew of a video camera that would be good for filming waterfowl hunts, and is a reasonable price. Also, what do you guys think is the best spot for a camera man if you are hunting in a field?
cam liden
hunter

Re: Camera?/opinions

Postby REM1100 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:55 am

Most likely the newer digital type that uses memory cards not the dv or mini dvd or old 8mm
Get one where you have a firewire or updated USB download to computer/laptop
Look for something with HD and possibly 20-30x zoom...get something with good low light ability.
Make sure it has a good microphone and also an external mic jack as alot do not have one
Cost would be around $500 as I am presently searching for one on the used market.

If you put the camera 10-20 feet behind the shooters with a wide angle and fast zoom..you want to get a full field of view
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby cam liden » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:49 am

Thanks a lot, REM!! :thumbsup:
cam liden
hunter

Postby Spiraleyes » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:18 pm

I recommend checking out a Flip Video camera. They're pretty inexpensive and do a great job! Check them out on Amazon.com
Jim R
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:15 pm

A flip video camera is nice pocket size and uses common AA batteries and does some HD but falls flat when it offers sometimes 2-3x optical zoom or just 3x digital zoom which does not have the balls for filming wildlife in a decent size besides the still pics are of a very low resolution which most cell phones can beat today...they do however download easily onto a computer
I am still looking for some used ones but I can't find a decent low light one with an external mic for the price I want to pay as the cams do not hold much value as new technology is introduced monthly cheaply and some systems become obsolete quickly.
Maybe I should trade in my Sony A200 for a Canon or Nikon that can do stills greater than 12 mpx and do great movie action then I would not have to lug around two different camera bags and the cost and ease of use will win in the long run.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum