Future Digital Camera Purchase

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

Future Digital Camera Purchase

Postby gauge » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:45 pm

Guys and Gals,
This question I'm sure has been asked before but I just getting into photography and am looking for a good set up to start with.
Unit could be used or new no problems either way. I am mostly looking to take the camera on waterfowl ducks and looking to catch those in flight pics. I'm also a waterfowl only taxidermist and would love to take quality pics I can post for others to see my work. But my overall desire for the camera is to capture some great pics while hunting with others. There has been several instances when I've limited out and the birds are still coming in and I want to bag some pictures of these time to remember but I want quality pictures no blurry on fuzzy junk. Crisp pics help with reference material in my shop as well. Not trying to complicate things but I not looking for a photography career camera, but one that will get great images with high speed. All suggestions welcome including additional equipment like lens and other items, whatever you think I need to get the job done. Like I said prior it can be an older unit that is used or a new model. Let me know what you all think and thank you in advance for all your advice. Bob
gauge
hunter

Re: Future Digital Camera Purchase

Postby REM1100 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:57 pm

Most newer DSLRs can get the job done camera body wise.
You would think a one combo lens can get the job done like a 18-250 tamron f4-5.6 at around $500 but that would be a compromise.
What I really want wise would be a lens zoom that can go 200-400mm with a constant f-stop of ideally f2.8 or f4.0 would suffice for auto focusing in those low light conditions with birds in flight...at high cost for L or G or EX glass( if the lens is white and has a tripod bracket)..Last year I missed out on a Tamron 200-400mm f4-5.6 for $250 as I tested it and it was soft but I forgot to stop it down.. here it became sharp
I currently either use a 70-210 Tamron f3.5-4.5 or the Minolta New 75-300mm f4.5-5.6 with a fast focus switch and luck out if I can get an auto focus lock on the target which is by chance.
For those wackem stackem shots you need a fairly wide lens with 17-35mm f2.8 or a wide zoom..I use a 35-70mm f4 Minolta
Remember to look at some older lens by browsing some camera brand talk forums and the chat will lead you to the most sought after proven affordable lens..You might luck out and pick up a 50mm f1.7 or f1.8 lens for $100-$150 and that will set the standard for sharpness and other standards to gauge by. I still use my kit lens as I use the 18mm wide part for homes.
Then again you could be a real sucker and walk into a camera store and say get me the best you have available and feel happy because money will buy you the best point and shoot system whereas if you shop around and buy wisely and learn at the same time..you will achieve results similar or of better composition that the sucker who bought the benz.I use a lens for each different situation and have just purchased a used Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro for $75 and I bought it as the lens is a real sharpy from 70-180mm and will put the Tamron to rest up for sale at $110

Each camera brand has some new OEM lens that cost $$$ and can olny marginally beat the older lens but not in proportion of money paid
Shop wisely and be sure to take the one week tryout if possible or bring along a lap top for used lens
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum