Binoculars?

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

Binoculars?

Postby JoeP » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:21 pm

Hey guys, I didn't know where else on the DHC to ask this question so I'm asking you guys. I am in need for a
good pair of binoculars. Ive been all over the place looking for a good pair but I haven't been able to find
what Im looking for. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong type? Im not looking for a small pair to throw in my
hunting bag, or to have around my neck during deer season. I want a good pair that I can bring in the truck and
do some scouting. I need something that I can get a good clear close up of a bird from across the pond, or out
in the middle of the salt marsh and be able to tell if its a black duck I'm looking at or a hen mallard.
I live on the coast, and I do alot of scouting. I'm ready to spend some decent money on a good pair. I'll spend
up to $500. I figured that some of you guys could point me in the right direction since you guys obviously know
about optics. Thank you, and if there is more info that you need please ask. :thumbsup:
JoeP
State Moderator

Re: Binoculars?

Postby JoeP » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:32 am

:zzz: Guys, 90 views and no reply?? Some of you guys must do some glassing when your looking for something to take
a picture of right?
JoeP
State Moderator

Postby waterfowler20 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:16 pm

Nikon doesn't make bad binoculars for their prices. I have a pair and they work great, i mean they are not the best nikon makes, but they work.
Take'Em
waterfowler20
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:10 am

Joep,..I have a pair of 20x50 Simmons that I've used for years. I was huntin' with a friend a few days ago and he had a pair of Pentax,..WOW!,..those are the best field glasses I've ever looked through,..extended eyepieces which keeps the fogging down,..coated opticals,..user friendly focus,..lightweight easy to adjust and hold,..even in the cold, and a clear view. I'm asking for a pair for Valentines' Day , and let the kids use the Simmons :yes:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:35 pm

I've used a pair of Steiner Predator 12x40 for years and love them. No focusing, clear as heck, very bright for good low light situations and tough as Hell! Plus they are in your price range.

They aren't Swarovski or Zeiss but I have done a 1-to-1 comparison with my brother's Swarovskis in early morning and right at dusk and couldn't tell any difference...except mine were $350 cheaper than his.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby JoeP » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:48 pm

Thanks guys! What power do you recommend?
JoeP
State Moderator

Postby mot » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Take a look at vortex. I bought a pair of 8 x 42 vipers that I am using in the duck blind and will be doing other hunting with. They are nice glass! I would think you want more power than 8 though. Much more power will require some sort of steady device though or you will be all jiggly and wont be able to tell what you are looking at.

tom
mot
hunter

Postby FITZH2O » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:14 am

JoeP wrote:Thanks guys! What power do you recommend?

I would go as high as you can. I've never found myself saying " these lookers are to powerful".
I started with 8x, last year I got 16x, now I want a telescope!

I'm seriously thinking about getting a spotting scope w/ a window mount and a tripod.

The 16x are fine for ponds and small areas of the marsh, but trying to spot and ID divers miles away on the coastal rivers and sounds down here with 16x can be frustrating.
FITZ

"COMMON SENSE IS AN UNCOMMON VIRTUE"

VEG*NHIPPIE Wrote - I'm from the UK, and it's not an issue here

UNDERRADAR REPLIED - Hey, good to know that. Coming up on July 4, we have a celebration. You know of it?
FITZH2O
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:10 am

I've discovered that for some reason the higher magnifications aren't as clear as the lesser. I dunno', maybe it's just me and my crappy eyes :wink:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum