trying to figure what camera to buy

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

trying to figure what camera to buy

Postby birddog crazy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:35 pm

ok, guy's, I need some ideas, for I want to buy a new digital camera. my use will be taking picts of my dogs hunting, hunt trophy's, animals in the wild and general things like that. I would want a zoom lense ,maybe up to at least 18x, 12 megapixel , auto tracking focus, and a lcd monitor. I am looking to spend maybe up to $600 if needed maybe a little more, but less would be more like it. thought about the fuji finepix s1800 , but still not sold on it, thought some one may have ideas on nikon or canon cameras. any help would be nice.
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Re: trying to figure what camera to buy

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:44 pm

Cannon sx20 is a good camera with a 20x zoom and is.(image stabilization)

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr ... elid=19208

Also Panasonic 18x zoom.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-elec ... 0000005702

Both are good cameras for bridge cameras. They ain't made for BIF shooting but for general pic taking they work nicely. Don't have personal experience with Nikon so I can't make any suggestions there.

Rem can tell about Sony cameras when he sees this. I know they make a couple bridge cameras also.
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Tue May 18, 2010 8:20 pm

I have had Nikon and cannon,I now have a cannon eos D-20,but there are newer ones D-30....40....50..ect,these are very good cameras,and fast rep photo,they are alot more than 650 but you can buy reconditioned ones,and they are cheaper! I bought mine for like 500! Here are accouple pics so you can see what I am talking about! My wife took these pics with limited knowledge of the camera,heck she did not even know how to turn it on! But she knows now!It focases automatically,and will shoot as many times in a row as your battery will handle!It takes large cards(CF) and I run 4 GB cards and take 600 plus shots ever time we hit the field! Alot of editing thru copy pics but alot of them are great,these are just some simple pics taken by my wife!

Notice in this pic she is jumping up the bank and the trail of water drops are still suspended behind her,caught in very clear imaging!

www.usa.canon.com
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby birddog crazy » Tue May 18, 2010 9:22 pm

thanks, i actually went and got a canon powershot sx20 IS I like it, has image stabilzer, and other features i wanted like fast shutter speed , and image taking so i can get dogs on the run or multible picts fast or game birds in flight.
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:29 am

The canon is a good super compact...I went to London Drugs and played with one this spring. ..last years model the x10 ..the x20 is similar
I like the batteries simple easy to buy . nice 28-560mm focal reach Quite sharp!..try to use a tripod at 20x
Takes good movies in stereo
Everything else is good on it but super-compacts all have some weaknesses one way or another
Like hamer' says BIF might be tough to pan with continuous shooting of 1.1 ft/s and a slower lens than the competition
Look out for soft pictures on default setting wide open ..but these can be fixed on photo editing or set your camera to vivid
Try to shoot in the best lighting conditions possible and try not to go over ISO 400 as you will see alot of noise stay away from high contrast subjects as some CA starts to creep in...ie shooting birds on a powerline where the lights hits them in a contrast effect.

I would recommend the Sony cybershot HX1 with the G lens and 20x and ten frames a second for $400-500 and can shoot in twilight but as I said every bridge camera has a slight flaw and this one cannot shoot in RAW as the pople in Sony think jpegs and the CMOS sensor and G lass can get the job done
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:24 am

I poke through this forum but rarely post - there's always some good threads here.

Am gonna throw in my 2cents on wildlife photography and specifically dogs, birds and hunting scenes.

Setting $$ aside...if the objective is truly clear action pictures than can later be drawn-in, cropped and edited...it will never be achieved by a Point-n-Shoot. As pete/pmr pointed out - a frame camera like his D20 is the way to begin. Of equal if not more importance is the lens or 'glass' on the front of it.

Speed and light are the two critical factors in shooting action. Light is rarely your friend in morning hours and evenings when most birds fly. There's a strong chance the lens you need to really capture your shot...is more than the camera body itself. Even a Canon basic 70/300 zoom in a F4.0 - 5.6 at $400/$500 will only get you so far.

My experience is saving or spending to get the right equipment while painful - provides the high-end results most serious/interested photog's want. It's very disappointing to drop even $800.00 and hit the wall.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby REM1100 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:14 pm

Dropping $800 and hitting the wall can be frustrating..but with some research and checking out the used bargain areas you might be able to load up with some pretty fair glass to get the job done and post a pretty good picture. I have been lucky to buy 8-9 and swap/trade up to some decent Minolta Glass for my Sony A200..While I used to have a super compact pointy and shot in a Sony H-7 with 15x zoom the pics were pretty good if the camera was set up right in the menu and the pics were presentable for the forums.
It was only when my house customers expected me to come into their homes and pay me over $100 to display their home in the best view being properly staged them I decided I had better look the part and get myself a pro looking rig ..A DSLR with a big flash and tripod lights and a huge camera bag..after all this I expanded into nature real wildlife and so far I have hit the wall not at $800 but as to when to make the upgrade to more pixels and to go with full frame..at this moment I have decided to make use of all my 8 lens and make them pay their way. No I am not going th go out and pay for some G or L or EX equivalent and buy a top photoshop edit program just to go out and photograph some waterfowl in the park or zoo as this can still be done well with the super compacts and I even did that with my equipment when I had a broken leg.

Anyways guys and gals make good use of what you have and post some pics as me personally a pic tells some sort of story to me and good use of nature location versus how clear and sharp and doctoredécropped a pic is..we should still try to keep with the one third rule for pleasing pics..with the exception of the stackem pics
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:08 pm

REM1100 wrote:Dropping $800 and hitting the wall can be frustrating..but with some research and checking out the used bargain areas you might be able to load up with some pretty fair glass to get the job done and post a pretty good picture. I have been lucky to buy 8-9 and swap/trade up to some decent Minolta Glass for my Sony A200..While I used to have a super compact pointy and shot in a Sony H-7 with 15x zoom the pics were pretty good if the camera was set up right in the menu and the pics were presentable for the forums.

Yes...I agree on looking for bargains. The only point I wanted to make was that many people want the shot a $1,200.00 lens can accomplish but buy a lens that is $500.00 hoping to get it. The $1,200.00 lens can always be resold at 80/90% of its purchase price whereas the $500.00 lens you will get 40/50%. The stuff photographers want to get 'rid of to upgrade' is always cheaper for a reason. Quality glass in a 2.8 zoom nobody wants to get rid of.

Just suggesting to really examine expectations and learn what it takes to get there. This stuff ain't cheap on money don't grow on trees so I advise caution before plopping down $500+ on a camera and/or a lens with expectations greater than your purchase.

Stills, portraits, people...all varying degrees of equipment. Action and longer range action requires more investment than many think.

Spend wisely! :thumbsup:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby REM1100 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:20 pm

Like I said a lens has to pay for itself
Choose the right lens with the proper research/application and buy from a camera/box store where they will give a return money back policy
The same applies with super compact point and shoot camera
Last edited by REM1100 on Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Spiraleyes » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:31 pm

HNTFSH is on the right track here. With a budget of $600, I would encourage someone to get an entry level Nikon or Canon DSLR with the intention of building up a great lens collection.

An entry level DSLR will always be superior to a top of the line point and shoot camera.
Jim R
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:25 pm

Spiraleyes wrote:I would encourage someone to get an entry level Nikon or Canon DSLR with the intention of building up a great lens collection. An entry level DSLR will always be superior to a top of the line point and shoot camera.

Spiraleyes - that was probably a better way to state it. :thumbsup:

I think many get hung up on megapixels when in fact...that metric itself while important is way down the list in terms of sports/action like shooting birds, dogs, etc in anything but bright light (which in itself can be a problem).

These shots are with a Canon 20D which only boasts 8 megapixels but the lens is good glass in a 2.8/70-200 zoom.

An hour before sunset this was as bright as the shot was gonna be - forgive the eye play :yes: :

Full daylight - same camera/lens:

This shot 8 megapixel with a less expensive 70/300 zoom at 4.0-5.6 but no movement and good light - picture still would have been cleaner with a faster lens:

Back to 2.8 glass in low light - probably 90 minutes before actual sunset:

Picking up a flush on a gray day when lens speed counts and IMO we're still stretching that 2.8 lens:

My point is factoring lens, light and speed is the most critical thing for your shooting. What you need for people, portraits, landscapes is just different than what you need for movement. We still struggle an hour after sunrise and before sunset on movement (with a tripod). As spiral said - buy the body and add lenses as you go to fulfill any shot opportunity.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby REM1100 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:07 pm

This was early this morning shooting quartering into the sun Camera was a Sony A200 with n older Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO Macrco lens used purchased for $75 taken at 300mm setting and F8 and some cheating cropping with little editing on Picasa

note the blurred wings as the lens was a bit slow..I shouLD have used my 70-210 f4 which I left at home

Pic was taken with a super compact Sony H-7 15x 8 megs

this was taken with a 2001 Nikon 9500 4x with a 2x tele-converter rand only 3.4 megapixels
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:54 pm

HNTFSH wrote:

Hntfsh

I only pulled the exif data on this pic but was wondering just how well the 20D does with higher ISO? I see you took this one at 400 iso and f4. I keep looking at the 70-200 2.8 but don't have all the cash I need yet for it. I am looking more at the lens for indoors low light sporting stuff but I am just trying to decided how much iso it will take for this lens to really work well for indoor action. I have a couple of years before my kids get real heavy into things but I am not sure I will have my dream package of a 70-200 2.8 is and a 1d3 by then. I get the feeling the glass will come first.

Thanks
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:13 am

hamernhonkers wrote:I only pulled the exif data on this pic but was wondering just how well the 20D does with higher ISO? I see you took this one at 400 iso and f4. I keep looking at the 70-200 2.8 but don't have all the cash I need yet for it. I am looking more at the lens for indoors low light sporting stuff but I am just trying to decided how much iso it will take for this lens to really work well for indoor action. I have a couple of years before my kids get real heavy into things but I am not sure I will have my dream package of a 70-200 2.8 is and a 1d3 by then. I get the feeling the glass will come first.

Thanks

hamernhonkers...the 20D in a higher ISO is no problem. That shot was likely in 'Sports Mode' so the camera grabbed the settings. It takes a lot of practice and trial/error to dial in camera settings for movement, especially in lower light. Seems doing so will get ya that extra 'enth' of quality just takes more time and patience.

Generally sports and wildlife photography are much harder in that you cannot control the environment and the rate/speed at which things happen or have light conditions that may constantly be changing.

That's a nice dream package you're saving for. :thumbsup:

We didn't go with the IS on the 70/200. Not saying one shouldn't but horizontal shake is not that much of an issue so a few $$ we're saved.

I'd guess for indoor action - some if it will depend on distance. Surprisingly we found a football or soccer field lit by high intensity stadium lights STILL required being IN that light not shooting TO that light - for faster speeds. The 4.0/5.6 couldn't handle it in the lights whereas the 2.8 could. Bumping into the limits almost always brings lesser results...kinda like the ad that says the walkie talkie works UP TO a mile away...lol...good luck at one mile. :rolleyes:

My wife does most of our shooting and is far better than I am. I learn what I can by having to buy the stuff and realizing what works and what doesn't. I see a lot of pictures 'over-sharpened' by software to make up for slow speeds. It just doesn't look natural.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Spiraleyes » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:37 pm

REM1100 wrote:This was early this morning shooting quartering into the sun Camera was a Sony A200 with n older Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO Macrco lens used purchased for $75 taken at 300mm setting and F8 and some cheating cropping with little editing on Picasa

Thanks for sharing. I don't mean to flame you, but these pictures are a great example that when it comes to glass, you get what you pay for. The end result is that you get the shot, but cheap equipment will never produce a picture with quality level acceptable for most. It's too bad the light was so harsh, it does play a partial role in the results.
Jim R
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum