Sony a380

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

Sony a380

Postby lostpup » Tue May 04, 2010 8:26 pm

Guy's I've not checked the new forums lately and this caught my eye. I bought a sony 380 last year and have not gotten to use it much. I have bought a milnota 200mm lens and it is nice but does not take great pics. I bought it used and it may need a good cleaning. I have also bought a 3X tele-converter. What is a good wildlife lens ? I'm looking at maybe a Tamron in 200mm to 300mm, but also woould like feed back if anyone has used the lens that folds down or slides out. Not sure of the maker. Just seen them and they got me couriousity up. Not sure of the price range of them either. I'd like to keep it under $500. Can anyone point me in a general direction? When I get time I'll post up some pics from the milnota 200mm lens.

Also how good is this camera for wildlife photography. I bought it brand new for $450. I've priced them near $800 so I know I got a deal but the camera can do way more than I've learned this far. Any help would be appreaciated......Lostpup
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Sony a380

Postby lostpup » Wed May 05, 2010 8:15 pm

The single goose picture was taken with the 200mm at a distance of 30 ft. I really like the pic but have no software to touch up and would not have a clue how to do it anyway. Just wanted to post up a few pics I've taken with this camera and get some help on how to set it up bettter. These were taken on auto mode. I've not got the jist of using the apature and sutter speeds to my advantage yet. Any suggestions ?
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:38 pm

Looks like the 18-55mm and the 55-200 got a goos workout. 14 megs do make a slight difference.
I have the A200 and use the 55-200mm with good results. I have the "Beercan 70-210 f4 a legend sharpie
The best Minolta lens affordible is the 75-300mm f4.5-5.7 "Big Berecan" first generation and New Generation pre 1991 is a real sharpie with the focus limiter button and a proper hood.
The Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 ApO Macro comes in as a close second and focuses faster and can be bought cheap but watch out for stripped plastic gear problems with cameras above any A100 The Tamron 70-300mm is fair.
A good buy would be the Tamron 200-400mm if yoiu get a good copy.
Any of the above lens will work fair with a 1.4x teleconverter but you will lose i f stop
The 3x teleconverter will force you into manual focus and a crappy pic and you lose 3 f stop

You really don`t need a good editing program if you set up the menu this way ...works well and fast no more fiddling around.

Go to menu
to creative style select Vivid and dial in contrast +3 saturation 0 or +1 ans Sharpness to +3
Quality to fine
Flash to ADI flash
Af illuminator to Auto
Set both NR noise reduction to on
Control dial setup to APERTURE
go TO Fn button and under metering mode select Spot
then AF area to Spot
autofucs mode to AFA
auto white balance Select ISO to auto Turn on the D-Range Optimizer to advanced to get better contrast inn shadows

You now have a killer setup for two important programs.

For quick pictures of ducks and geese turn the Dial to P and shoot away as that mode is a sure fire point and shoot custom automatic point and shoot

For more Advanced shooters you can turn the dial to A aperture priority mode and use the thumb wheel in front of the shutter button to adjust the F stop to control the size of the lens blade opening usually shooting at F8 is a good sharp compromise

on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby lostpup » Mon May 10, 2010 11:16 am

Rem great info thanks that not only gets me in the right direction it it puts me on the money. I may actually have the " beer can " lens. I'll take a photo of it and post it up. I'm not exactly sure what you guy's are refering to. But after Googling it . I think thast is the 200mm I bought for $65 bucks. It is alittle foggy though. Wee I call it foggy that may not be the actuall term.

:beer:
Again thanks for getting me started. I'll look into a 1.4 instead of the 3x teleconverter. I have not mastered the manual focus but that is what this summer is for. " PLAY TIME " or getting use to the set up of this camera...........
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lostpup » Mon May 10, 2010 7:18 pm

REM1100 here is the lens I have it's a 75-200 so I don't think it is the "beer can"

and here is a couple pics I was playing with the shutter speed and F stop. This is last week so I was only trying to learn what they adjustments do to the pics.

shutter speed at 150 F 4.5

shutter 800 F29

shutter 1600 F 29

shutter 3200 F32

I just thought it was interesting to see how much light the combonation of the two could cut out.
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:09 am

Looks like you have the Magnicon 70-200 rated at 3.83 and 4.03 out of five according to dyxum.com
Then again you could have a series one Vivitar which were quite good.
Do your self a favor from now on don't buy any lens until you have checked out the reviews from actual every day people who have actually used these lens and you will get an idea of what to buy plus ask the guy at the sony style store as to what is going to be discontinued and you can get a real bargain as I picked up a Sony 55-200 f4-5.6 for $99 is a real performer that beats the beercan. Beercan looks exactlly like those magnum beer cans and weighs a couple pounds and is all metal construction.
Minolta lens are cheap to buy as so many people have old Minolta cameras and due to hype and put downs by the competition don't think they have any value and can be bought for less than $200 in most cases. Some of the oldy lens are just as good or better as the other brands who had to pay three times more for IS and a name brand.
The Sony can hold its own except for a little noise at ISO 800 but in reality for nature outdoors shots who shoots at that high plus those other guys like to use an expensive lens and the pretty it up on an expensive photo editor and in most cases are shooting popcorn waterfowl in parks.( I have done it before but with grain so I could quickly try out a lens before I bought it)..There is satisfaction in getting close or waiting for a spoony to swim by and nail him in his colors
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby lostpup » Tue May 11, 2010 11:25 am

Flash to ADI flash
Af illuminator to Auto
Set both NR noise reduction to on
Control dial setup to APERTURE
go TO Fn button and under metering mode select Spot
then AF area to Spot
autofucs mode to AFA
auto white balance Select ISO to auto Turn on the D-Range Optimizer to advanced to get better contrast inn shadows

I went into menu and have already had it set to fine. I can't find ADI flash, Af illuminator is on auto, There is no noise reduction, Can't find spot in the metering mode either, I do have it on auto focus but can't find where it has AFA?, or the white balance in ISO, D-Range Optimiser can't find that either. I went thru all the menu options but as I said before this camera is more advanced than I am. I'm learning but did not find most of the things you pointed out with my camera. I'll keep playing who knows maybe they are hidden somewhere, within another function and I've just missed them. I do like to use the metering function and see the graph to know where the can\mera is picking up light and what to adjust too...........

Thanks for all your help hopefully I get to take some great pics this fall and winter.........Lostpup :beer:
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:26 pm

For an instruction on how to use the 380 menu go to google and type in sony Alpha 380 digital camera -review-the imaging resources
and you will find the topics I am talking about
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby lostpup » Thu May 13, 2010 7:26 pm

Thanks, belive it or not that had not hit me yet. Why would a guy not GOOGLE it? Guess I had a major brain fart. Thanks for your help REM...........
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Sat May 15, 2010 12:49 am

Just another tip and reason to go Sony.
I just looked up Kijiji ads and found a Brand new Sony 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 advertised for $120 ..paidf ull price for it as it retails for $289 new apparently the seller had bought a new Sony A380 and he upgraded to a Sony 18-250 all around walkabout lens for $550 and since it was a kit lens that came with the camera he let it go cheap but I lucked out as this lens will make my camera on par or be slightly superior than the competition besides I needed this lens for my house photography business and it supercedes my 18-70mm kit lens which did not have good optical quality which I sold in one day for $90..Lens for Sonys can be bought cheap with good quality and money still in your pockets :yes:
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum