Finaly figuring out the camera

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

Finaly figuring out the camera

Postby lostpup » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:49 pm

I have been playing with the camera alot the past month. Taking alot of firework photo's but did'nt think anyone wanted to see those. Here is some humming birds I shot last nite.........

lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Finaly figuring out the camera

Postby REM1100 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:29 am

Awesome! I have never seen that many hummming birds all in one place..are you feeding them something sweet?
Nice shots f thye wings
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby lostpup » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:41 am

Yes we feed them sugar water with food coloring in it. There are between 15 and 18 using the feeders. I am going to try getting more pics this weekend . I was told that If I get the feeder that looks like a strawberry with our mixture in it and sit down by the other feeders with sunglasses so they can :beer: 't see my eyes move , they will litterly land on my hand and eat from the feeder. I've got to try this. If it works out I'll get the pics up on here.
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:46 am

Off topic..on the fireworks pics, are you using the BULB feature and shooting between F8-F16 with the manuaal focus on a nearby solid object the same distance as the fireworks and not having the focus set to infinity..a lens of 35-70 f4 would be ideal also the 50-200mm would work also with a 2-4 sec shutter time (hold your finger on the shutter until the fireworks open up and release it)

Anyways, post some of those pics and I will be shooting fireworks tommorow night and we can compare.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:01 pm

lostpup

I just pulled the exif data on pic #2. f4.5, Exposure time 1/60, iso 400 at 200mm at 7:10pm. Looks some very low light conditions to be shooting in. I am not familiar at all with Sony's settings on the a380 or for any of them for that matter. But just a couple of thoughts if you could try taking a pic in those lighting conditions again. Try increasing the Iso to either 800 with +2/3 ev or jump up to iso 1600 or 3200 and either + 1/3ev or flat ev and keep your f-stop as low as it will go. I don't know just how good the Sony's are with noise but I would love to see what it will do if you don't mind trying a pic on the hummers again. I am thinking that will get your shutter speed up to 1/500 but it may be very noisy and quite bright. Just curious to see what your camera will do.

Thanks
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:47 pm

I bet that he was using the Sony 55-200mm f4-5.6 lens and he had it set of auto Af and the camera went on auto and picked a good combo settings
I would think if he would have set up the preset menu to vivid withe the contrast to +3 and the color saturation to +1 and the sharpness at +3 and the metering and focus area to spot and the F stop at 7.1 and maybe ISO at 800 and set the long exposure noise reduction to on and IS switched to on set the EV to +1.5 as that is the max setting on a A300 series and also set the WB to cloudy and maybe the shutter speed should be 1/250 to stop the blurr from the wings. You could bypass some steps and use a fill flash from a big external flash and hope you still have a fast shutter speed.

A higher ISO would work only if he had a faster lens as the 55-200mm at real focal of 200 would result in a F4.5 or slightly higher and it is relively slow by standards
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby lostpup » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:08 pm

Okay guy's give me a week or so to deciffer these 2 post and there meanings..... :help: I will print this page off and try setting the camera up both way's . I won't be back to my friends till after the weekend. I am game to play with the settings . It's all in the learning.

Now to the pic I took it was the 55-200 lens REM. I alway's shoot on auto focus but on the M on the dial so that I can set the F stop and shutter speed. It takes me 6 to 10 pics to get where I think they are okay. Then I will play after I get a few decent pics and see where they go form there..........
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lostpup » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:11 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:lostpup

I just pulled the exif data on pic #2. f4.5, Exposure time 1/60, iso 400 at 200mm at 7:10pm. Looks some very low light conditions to be shooting in. I am not familiar at all with Sony's settings on the a380 or for any of them for that matter. But just a couple of thoughts if you could try taking a pic in those lighting conditions again. Try increasing the Iso to either 800 with +2/3 ev or jump up to iso 1600 or 3200 and either + 1/3ev or flat ev and keep your f-stop as low as it will go. I don't know just how good the Sony's are with noise but I would love to see what it will do if you don't mind trying a pic on the hummers again. I am thinking that will get your shutter speed up to 1/500 but it may be very noisy and quite bright. Just curious to see what your camera will do.

Thanks

Hamern I have a question for you how in the world did you pull up that info from my post ? I'm not very tech savy but would like to know how that was done so that I have a better knowledge of the computer. Also saves me from going to the camera to look.
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:46 pm

Alot of guys do it to learn how the shot was made and what camera and date as many guys don't guard this info some do and it is Ok so some guys won't copy.
Anyways You can set it to A Aperture priority with some of the settings I gave you and it will let you set the Fstop and the shutter speed will be automatically set accordingly for most shot conditions and you can also set the WB to auto and the ISO to auto for most shot situations regarding wildlife...the 55-200 works best around F7.1 to F8 at the 200mm focal length.it is an amazing lens
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby lostpup » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:32 am

guy's just wanted to update you about the humming birds. I'm in the process of trading trucks so I've been wrapped up with that. When I get a chance to get back to my friends I'll get them taken and post them up........Thanks for the setting advice I'm learning everyday.
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:18 pm

Just when you get them is good enough for me :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum