Need help with upgrade

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

Need help with upgrade

Postby REM1100 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:00 am

I am a Sony shooter and want to upgrade my Sony A200 10 megapixels to either a used Sony A350 or the newer Sony A550 camera body
I have lens, batteries and vertical grip and flash that will fit either one.
I plan on doing swap/ trade with my camera body and a few old lens plus some cash for the upgrade.
The A350 is a 14 megapixel with a similar CCD and frame speed as the Sony costing me $150 cash plus trade
The Sony A550 is also a 14 megapix but with a Cmoss sensor and a faster burst speed costing me $250 cash plus trade.
Both have live view.
My objective is to get a little better picture IQ and slightly better resolution and noise control.
There is no sure thing as a trade swap..just my hopes and wishes for an upgrade on a used Sony and the I will have an excuse to spring for some quality far reach glass
The third choice would be keep the A200, sell three lens to come up with $400 to buy a Minolta 500mm AF REFLEX f8 Mirror lens
for those distant shots.
Need some thoughts on what to do. I don't want to start over by changing brands.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Re: Need help with upgrade

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:59 am

Rem I know you are having fun collecting all those different lenses but what is a top end piece of glass for one of the Sony's. Why not if you can get something like one of the sigma lenses like the bigma 50-500mm os or the 150-500mm os?

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/150-500m ... -hsm-sigma

Not to bad of a price and it would give you the reach you want? I know on the cannon forums many people like this glass and feel that for the price it is more justifiable then the L glass from cannon. They also say the os is great and every bit the equal or better then the old cannon IS like on my 100-400L.

I have looked a good number of times at them but I think the L still has slight edge on them with the IQ but not by a lot.

Just a thought.
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Spiraleyes » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:28 pm

Agreed. Skip the new body, invest in QUALITY glass. You aren't going to see an upgrade in image quality using the same old lenses.
Jim R
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:18 am

Minolta has some vintage glass like the 100-400 APO but the cost is about $700 for a banged up one.
Also some Sony users are weary about using the Sigma Bigma because it is slow and lower in IQ than some Minolta glass and worst of all the newer Sony cameras have powerful motors drives that strip the weaker plastic gears with questionable warranty canon and Nikon have lens motor drives.
Ideally, if I bought the Sony A550 demo for $600 and sell my Sony A200 with kit lens for $300 and take the time to clear out some of my collection at low prices and keep the newer glass up to 300mm , get a photoshop for precise editing and shoot raw and then move up to a higher grade glass or even the 500 AF Mirror would do for a start. It is a heavy cost to buy lens for a wide angle and then try to cover the long reach with top quality glass. I could do it if I gave up on the rifles and sold them and went back to work part time.
I can only go so far with the Sony A200 before I hit the threshold wall...like putting a Leupold 4x12 scope on a Cooey 22
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Spiraleyes » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:06 pm

REM1100 wrote:Minolta has some vintage glass like the 100-400 APO but the cost is about $700 for a banged up one.
Also some Sony users are weary about using the Sigma Bigma because it is slow and lower in IQ than some Minolta glass and worst of all the newer Sony cameras have powerful motors drives that strip the weaker plastic gears with questionable warranty canon and Nikon have lens motor drives.
Ideally, if I bought the Sony A550 demo for $600 and sell my Sony A200 with kit lens for $300 and take the time to clear out some of my collection at low prices and keep the newer glass up to 300mm , get a photoshop for precise editing and shoot raw and then move up to a higher grade glass or even the 500 AF Mirror would do for a start. It is a heavy cost to buy lens for a wide angle and then try to cover the long reach with top quality glass. I could do it if I gave up on the rifles and sold them and went back to work part time.
I can only go so far with the Sony A200 before I hit the threshold wall...like putting a Leupold 4x12 scope on a Cooey 22

Pardon my bluntness below. Sometimes, I just have to say it like it is:

Your limitation is not the A200, it's the lenses you use.

I'm not sure why you keep trying to put together a cheap kit. You'll get cheap photos. A 500 Mirror lens is as good as holding up some binoculars to your camera phone and taking pictures. A kit lens is about the same. Old/used vintage glass is only a hair better.

Save your money and buy good equipment. Keep your A200 and save your money for a REAL lens, like this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... 200mm.html

To hold you over, pick up a 50mm 1.8 for $149 and start taking some sharp pictures.
Jim R
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby hamernhonkers » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:18 am

Rem I am with spiraleyes.....Get some good glass!

I may be only shooting a 450D and dream of getting a 7d or 1dmark3 but the next purchase is going to be a 70-200L 2.8. The better body is not going to get me the pics I want in the lighting my kids will be playing sports in or give me the IQ I want so I am going with the glass first. Only a few more hundred to go :grooving:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:37 am

So if I get photoshop and some G grade and Zeiss Sony long tele lens I will be happy putting out some good edited RAW pics as my
editor is Picasa
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Spiraleyes » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:43 pm

REM1100 wrote:So if I get photoshop and some G grade and Zeiss Sony long tele lens I will be happy putting out some good edited RAW pics as my
editor is Picasa

Correct. Get some decent software, even an outdated version of Photoshop Elements, but the primary focus needs to be on your lenses. Start with something like this 50mm f/1.8. It's not meant for taking extended nature shots, but if you're like most hobby photogs, you're taking pictures of other things most of the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-50mm-Alpha-D ... =de_a_smtd

That will be the best lens you can get for the money.
Jim R
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:54 pm

Well..my dream and research came out just as I had thought.
It was a deal that I could not pass up .,I bought the Sony A550 second hand and got the body and kit lens for $600 and then I just sold the Sony A200 and an up grade kit lens and many CF cards plus a remote release for $375 and I am good now as I have mostly good lens classics and some modern Sony ones and I have a higher resolution and pics come out sharper and now I can crop better with less noise and I will now be on the lookout for some G and maybe Zeiss ones second hand at affordable bargain prices.
Everything I bought so far has been at real bargain prices for good usefull glass except for the First purchase of the Sonyy A200 which I paid $650 and found out it dropped $100 in two weeks but I was the first to get one.
Yes I have the 50mm F1.7, 24mm f2.8, 34-70 F4, 24-105 F3.5-4.5, 70-210 F4, 10-20 Sigma, 75-300 and also a siggy 70-300 and a 1.4 teleconverter along with an upgrade Sony 18-55mm .5-5.6 and Sony 55-200 F3-5.6r.
I could be shopping for the 400 and 500mm range soon.
I will test out the Sony A550 soon
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:04 pm

Well get practicing and lets see what she will do :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum