Confused on what camera to buy

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

Confused on what camera to buy

Postby benelliwaterfowler » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:51 am

Hey everybody.I need some help on a camera choice.The camera is going to be a gift for my other half for Christmas.She currently has a Sony cybershot dsc-s930 but it just doesn't have the zoom or the quality that she is looking for.I have done quite a bit of research on cameras and I'm thinking that a SLR digital camera would be a good choice.I have read many different posts on here as far as what people prefer but cannot make a decision.My price range is $600,but would spend more if needed.I have looked into the canon rebel xs,the sony A290 and the nikon d3000.She wouldn't be mainly doing outdoor photography(alot of waterfowl based photos).Alot of cameras come with a 18x55mm lens but I have read that then lens is not that great for outdoors photos.I'm really confused about this decision.I had no idea how mainly details camera had.Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jon
benelliwaterfowler
Newb

Re: Confused on what camera to buy

Postby Spiraleyes » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:38 pm

No matter what DSLR body you go with, plan to spend 1200 on a quality lens for waterfowl pictures.
Jim R
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:07 am

Those brands have a decent 18-55 lens the Nikon being best then Sony for satisfied walkabout street shooting
I personally shoot a Sony A550 for a hobby /work and the A290 is similar in megapixels
Any of those cameras puts out a 70-300mm lens. (for up to 50 yard shots)...the Nikon is the sharpest. The Sony or Minolta big beercan is an affordable sharpy
A wheelbarrow full of cash and loose change along with a HD tripod is needed for some serious
white heavy lens in the 400-500mm telephoto range.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Whitehorse » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:37 am

I owned a nikon p80 super zoom lens a few years ago, but I am sure they have only improved things. It would take some fantastic photos out to about 30-40 yards, and was wide enough for family shots as well. I know there is now a p90 pXXX and so on.. you'll only be put out about 400 bucks for a nice super zoom and for another 75 for a decent tripod..... I have a few pics hanging in my house that were taken with that p80..... hope I could help, it's kinda an all or nothing type of deal, you'll keep wanting bigger and better if you get into dslr!
Whitehorse
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:24 pm

Whitehorse has a good point. Some of the compact superzooms have a little bit of everything you want without breaking the bank but wishing and wanting for something better as time and new DSLRs are released. The supercompact lasted me a yearand a half.
A couple of years ago I had he Sony H-7 with 15x optical zoom and the pics were OK on an improved part manual setting.
That super compact zoom did house pictures for my job, even some hunting waterfowl pics and some family holiday pics.
I got a DSLR because my friends and customers said I should look the part.
That gap between the supercompact zooms and entry level DSLRs is now narrowing with the exception of better attatched costly lens and a slightly bigger better sensor
Camera companies on the lower end models always throw in a suitable kits lens and do not offer the body alone only on upper end models..ideally it would be to buy a versatile 18-270mm walkabout lens and then move up to better body and quality lens if you want to get serious about your hobby and work...hopefully the investment pays for itself.
I made that move partially so far from a A200 to the A550
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum