What Type of camera do you use?

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

What type of camera do you mostly use?

Digital
86%
Film
14%

Total votes : 50

What Type of camera do you use?

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:09 pm

I'm curious to see what kind of cameras we are using out in the blinds with us, or even for scouting. So, do you use digital or film?

If you use film, do you have your own or buy disposables?

I'll start. I predominantly use film cameras, and this year got a great deal on some dispisable cameras that were wrapped in mossy oak. (cheaper than the reg. kodak ones!)
I'm looking at a digital, but not sure excatly what route to take other than it will be an Olympus.
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:16 pm

I use a digital for that kinda stuff. Its alot easier to load them up, post them on here, and send to my huntin buddies.

Film hands down will always be the sharpest, but as fas a convenience for everyday photos, Ill use a Digital :thumbsup:

Great Thrad TBC,
-Souff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby 2 tollers » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:24 pm

Currently I use film for all hunting / fishing trips for set photos as I have several extra lens. I carry disposables in my fanny packs on big game trips and in the blinds.
I will most likely be changing this year as I got my wife a Cannon S1 with motion stabilization and she took some very good long range shots of the dogs at hunt tests last year. A disposable is always a good idea to carry for that unplanned picture event.
2 tollers
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:27 pm

Digital now, used a 35mm for years. Agree that the 35mm has a slightly better initial picture but there is nothing like getting a digital shot on the computer and being able to manipulate it's look. Some of the programs out there can do some amazing things.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby Snaph » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:38 pm

I like my olympus digital, but I still have not got it to work good in low light conditions. Then again, I never read the instructions.
Snaph
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:04 pm

Snaph wrote:I like my olympus digital, but I still have not got it to work good in low light conditions. Then again, I never read the instructions.

PFFFT..... Instructions Instructions...

I thought we were on the same page man. NEVER ask for directions, or look at instructions :hammering: :toofunny:

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby sioutdoors » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:06 pm

check out my web page all done with digital camera Olympus brand :thumbsup:
belly up feet kicking
http://sihunters.blogspot.com/
sioutdoors
hunter

Postby Snaph » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:24 pm

Stouff...read what I wrote again. My wife reads the instructions, then it is my job to get mad at her when she trys to explain it to me and I don't understand what she is showing/telling me.
:mrgreen:
Snaph
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:26 pm

Snaph wrote:Stouff...read what I wrote again. My wife reads the instructions, then it is my job to get mad at her when she trys to explain it to me and I don't understand what she is showing/telling me.
:mrgreen:

HHH HAAHAHAHAHAHHAH!!!!

So we are on the same page, just find loopholes :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:salude:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:44 pm

I have a digtal its easier to put on the computer to share with other people, and you can get rid of the pictures if you don't like them and take another one.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:07 pm

TTT
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Tack in NJ » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:32 pm

I'm still waiting for my digital camera to swim back to shore from last summers fishing trip.
Tack in NJ
hunter

Postby 2 tollers » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:36 pm

Tack in NJ wrote:I'm still waiting for my digital camera to swim back to shore from last summers fishing trip.

Don't expect it too soon as I believe it is on an extended fish tour with my cannon 50 / 150 lens. :help: hate it when that happens.
2 tollers
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:13 pm

I take pics of the same things with both that way I have them on each, film for the photo albums and digital so I can put them on the computer and send them around and what not.Although I did loose my digital last week :pissed:
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby texan68 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:47 pm

both. For high quality pics, I use film, and then for the quick shots, I use digital
texan68
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:00 pm

with all the rain/mud/dirt/whatever the heck that is caked to the bottom of my boots while duck hunting, i couldnt get myself to put a camera through that kind of torture....
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:38 am

For the last 5 years I've been shooting a digital camera. I started with a Canon A40 and moved up a couple years ago to a Canon S1 IS. Both have been great cameras. So much that I'm now eyeballing a Canon Digital Rebel SLR.

If you're in the market for a digital camera here are a few tips...

1. Digital zoom means nothing other than loss of picture quality. Buy a camera based on the optical zoom if you want good, clear pictures and turn the digital zoom off.

2. Buy the highest number of megapixels you can afford. The higher the mp count the more detail you will get on the monitor and when you print a larger sized picture.

3. Shoot your pictures on the largest setting possible. You can always shrink pictures down, but lose a lot of quality when you try to blow them up.

4. Just go ahead and buy more memory cards when you buy the camera. Expecially if you are already into photography or thinking about getting into it. I have three 1 gig cards and I'll fill those up at air shows and other places I go.

5. Take multiple pictures of the same thing. The good thing about digital is you get to pick and choose which ones you want printed out. Sometimes it can take 5 or 6 shots just to get the one you were after in the first place.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:00 am

Kodak Easy Share(digital)...........it's cheap and even I can use it.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:43 pm

I use a cannon power shot A75(digital). Working on my second one now as my first one decided to take a dip in the marsh this past duck season. No complaints with that camera at all, takes great pics for my needs and it was super easy to figure out right from the box.

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby dukaddict » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:35 pm

jjohnson_714 wrote:with all the rain/mud/dirt/whatever the heck that is caked to the bottom of my boots while duck hunting, i couldnt get myself to put a camera through that kind of torture....

Digital
Pentax Optio 33WR
WR=Water Resistant it has rubber gaskets around all the openings and would probably survive a drop in the drink. It`s made it through some rainy, wet days and the time I forgot it was in my backpack :oops:
It`s 3.5mp but takes amazingly clear pics I picked up a 512mb card for 29.99 which holds over 400 pics
I was leery of taking a camera with me after ruining my 35mm when it rained
so far it`s survived
That`s saying a lot considering I own it
Pop says I should have gotten a job with those underwriter laboratory guys because I`m so hard on stuff
What can I say I buy it to use it
I think it came with instructions but they must still be in the box maybe someday I`ll get them out and figure out what all those little symbols mean :laughing:
Takes great pics and can print up to 8x10 using highest resolution
Of course it had to be camo`d so I got some cloth camo tape from wally world :thumbsup:

dukaddict
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:48 pm

If you're worried about water and mud there are waterproof cases out there called pelican cases. Do a search and you should find plenty of cases for just about any digital camera.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby dukaddict » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:57 am

Yes I looked at those
Pretty cool
You can take pics underwater with some of them I saw but they were spendy $$$$
dukaddict
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:40 am

Those pelican cases are worth every penny. My brother has a high quality film carmera he uses for work and play. He has multiple lenses and filters, and keeps them all in a pelican case.
The case is watertight, and has floated in lakes in the BWCA after a canoe swamped. But, I saw him take a really nasty fall on a skateboar while carrying it....the camera case flew from his hands...far. The case was dinged and scrathed but the camera and components were safe and sound.
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:41 pm

Finally made the the digital switch! (At least I finally have one of my own). I'll be shooting an Olympus SP-320 and so far, I couldn't be more pleased! No more 35mm disposables for me, well at least not most of the time.
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:30 pm

Strictly digital. Nikon all the way.
Check out the new Training DVD from Wildrose Kennels, www.uklabs. The pic of the yellow lab on the high flying water entry is one I took with my Nikon.
http://www.uklabs.com/images/DVD_cover_front.jpg
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum