Virgin Picture Poster

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

Virgin Picture Poster

Postby mox » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:06 am

Virgin Picture Poster as in these are my first pictures taken with a DSLR and posted... c'mon guys... :no:
Equipment: Nikon D5000/Nikkor 55-200.
Subject: Gus
Advice/Criticism is welcomed.
DSC_0010.JPG
Gus

DSC_0011.JPG
Direct reflection of his personality.

DSC_0042.JPG
I have a naturally pointing Heinz 57 breed.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Re: Virgin Picture Poster

Postby lostpup » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:03 pm

Mox I play more than anything with my DSLR. You have a nice set up for plaing around and close shots. As you read up you will find that you want better glass and a bit bigger lens. Your pics will be fine for hobby shooting. The thing I've had to lear is setting up the photo. Like shadow in the first pic. The light and angle is good on the pup but to me the shadow takes away form the over all picture. The middle picture is good. The 3rd picture there is not enough light on the dogs face it kinda fades away into the back ground. Please don't think I know everything. I'm learning as I type these are just the things I've had to learn to have outstanding picture instead of GOOD pictures. Hope the info helps you out without sounding synical........ :beer:
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mox » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:35 pm

lostpup wrote:Mox I play more than anything with my DSLR. You have a nice set up for plaing around and close shots. As you read up you will find that you want better glass and a bit bigger lens. Your pics will be fine for hobby shooting. The thing I've had to lear is setting up the photo. Like shadow in the first pic. The light and angle is good on the pup but to me the shadow takes away form the over all picture. The middle picture is good. The 3rd picture there is not enough light on the dogs face it kinda fades away into the back ground. Please don't think I know everything. I'm learning as I type these are just the things I've had to learn to have outstanding picture instead of GOOD pictures. Hope the info helps you out without sounding synical........ :beer:

Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it. I don't get my feelings hurt too easy and my wife wishes I would read into things more, so don't worry about sounding this or that.

We watched the 'Understanding Digital Photography" by Nikon last night and learned some SLR vocabulary. The DVD moved too quick over too much and left us a little confused really. I'm still learning so please include all the details you can! :thumbsup:
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:55 am

It appears the subject is too close creating a small DOF preferred to shoot at a longer focal length to get the full shot of the dog, in the back part of the dog is not sharp the shadow in the background can be cropped out. Also you may taken the shot on AE mode and any black object is the hardest to photograph causing the camera to pick a very high ISO resulting in the washed out background
Try taking the dog in a slightly different lighting position free of shadows and try an ISO of 200 or 400 along with f6,3-f8.
The other comments are good. I also am still learning and doing research daily looking at sample images on the internet
In time after looking up glossary and practice with new settings then you will appreciate the pictures better
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby TomKat » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:52 am

Keep practicing, you will get there in time
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby mox » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:42 pm

REM1100 wrote:It appears the subject is too close creating a small DOF preferred to shoot at a longer focal length to get the full shot of the dog, in the back part of the dog is not sharp the shadow in the background can be cropped out. Also you may taken the shot on AE mode and any black object is the hardest to photograph causing the camera to pick a very high ISO resulting in the washed out background
Try taking the dog in a slightly different lighting position free of shadows and try an ISO of 200 or 400 along with f6,3-f8.
The other comments are good. I also am still learning and doing research daily looking at sample images on the internet
In time after looking up glossary and practice with new settings then you will appreciate the pictures better

First, thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the comments about the ISO. I'm playing with the camera and just figured out how to change the ISO. Found the f6.3. Is that the aperture(sp)? Plan on youtubing some stuff tonight... Thanks again guys.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum