Duck Eating Standing Corn

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

Duck Eating Standing Corn

Postby ssatrams » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:27 pm

I'm continually impressed with the photos & video captured & shared by the people that love nature, waterfowl & waterfowl hunting. I'm fortunate enough 2 get 2 hunt flooded corn in the Mississippi Flyway & see some pretty neat stuff. An array of various ducks & geese, as well as ocassional deer, eagles, owls & turkeys (besides the ones in the blind with me : ).
The one piece of video (or even still photos) that I would LOVE 2 SEE is of ducks eating standing corn in a natural environment. It amazes me the way you can fold back a husk after birds have been using an area & see a virtually perfectly picked cob & I mean picked'R clean!! Possibly the only images I've even seen that attempted 2 show how they do it is an old Daffy Duck cartoon.
Thus, if any of ya out there have such footage or photos please share! THANKS
ssatrams
hunter

Re: Duck Eating Standing Corn

Postby got_wings?_BOOM » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Fuel the fire dvd. one of the guys hude in the corn with a ghille suit filming the ducks eating the corn. i have the dvd idk how to put the clip on here. i guess i could burn it and send it to you
got_wings?_BOOM
hunter

Postby ssatrams » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:46 am

Thanks 4 the lead, I appreciate the offer but I'll track down a copy 2 purchase! Glad 2 know I'm not the only soul perplexed by this! Based on the # of view the thread has gotten in a short time I'm thinking several folks are interested! Again, I appreciate the info/lead & anyone else out there with knowledge of such footage or photos please keep tha info coming!
ssatrams
hunter

Postby got_wings?_BOOM » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:36 pm

no problem. its a great dvd worth every penny.

watching the ducks eat the corn was pretty cool they kinda had to hop to reach it and it was icy so they would slip sometimes
got_wings?_BOOM
hunter

Postby ssatrams » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:36 am

1st of all 2 got_wings?_BOOM I'd like 2 say Big THANKS for sharing! I got the DVD yesterday & it does hv footage of mallards n a natural environment, on the ice eating standing corn. Secondly I'd like 2 say thanks 4 turning me on 2 possibly the best & most informational waterfowl video that I've ever seen! At 1st I had concerns that it was a touch slow & maybe too informational bout habitat & property mgt that unless I hit a lottery I'll prob never have the $, time, & land 2 attempt BUT as the video goes on I appreciated the info/knowledge & FOOTAGE OF WATERFOWL do'n neat stuff along w/ the public land hunt'n tips is AWESOME! Thanks again 4 the recommendation!
As I said, the DVD does hv a section where dux are essentially jump'n off the ice two stick their bills under corn husks. I assume they kinda peck off kernels & catch'em n their mouth which amazes me still that they can clean an ear so well & it still be on the stalk under the husk.
I'd love 2 see even more footage so if anyone has or has knowledge of such please share! I'd even like 2 see some of tame dux eat'n shucked corn on the cob.
Thanks Again & I appreciate the opportunity 2 share this kinda neat & interesting stuff!
ssatrams
hunter

Postby got_wings?_BOOM » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:18 am

yea man no problem. probably my favorite dvd i have.

i love the seen when they call in that masive flock and nobody shoots. very cool
got_wings?_BOOM
hunter

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum