Pics and Tips?

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

Pics and Tips?

Postby Ryd3r » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:11 am

Pics and Tips

Firstly I am no photographer I just love taking photos. I snapped a few of these scouting and early season goose hunting. I have a hard time taking really clear/close shots especially with motion. Is it all in the camera or are there any techniques I can apply? My camera does a great job with still photos and close up pics though.

Pics were taken witha Nikon Coolpix L110

"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first." - Ernest Hemmingway
Ryd3r
hunter

Re: Pics and Tips?

Postby REM1100 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:21 pm

Start with a higher ISO 400-800 in Program mode. Pan the pics using a higher speed usually greater than the focal length of the lens. Panning means coming from behind and snap the pics once the speed is the same as the bird and snapping and follow thru.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby loudnerd » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:17 am

REM1100 wrote:Start with a higher ISO 400-800 in Program mode. Pan the pics using a higher speed usually greater than the focal length of the lens.

Spot on! I have found that moving birds really need a higher shutter speed with a higher iso.
He who laughs last didn't get it.
loudnerd
hunter

Postby Spiraleyes » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:05 pm

You're always going to struggle getting sharp in-motion pictures with a point and shoot. You can try some of the techniques mentioned, but p&s cameras are just limited by nature.
Jim R
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum