Camera bag

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

Camera bag

Postby B.Hud » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:52 pm

How does everyone who carries their cameras during a hunt keep them dry and out of harms way while in the field? i have thought of just throwing it in my blind bag but i don't want it to get scratched up amongst all my other gear. if anyone has a suggestion on a small waterproof bag that would hold the camera(cannon rebel) and another lens it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Shouldbeaguide wrote: We rolled donuts all weekend on green tops and specks. Make sure your facts are strait
B.Hud
hunter

Re: Camera bag

Postby Crazy Matt » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:16 pm

B.Hud wrote:How does everyone who carries their cameras during a hunt keep them dry and out of harms way while in the field? i have thought of just throwing it in my blind bag but i don't want it to get scratched up amongst all my other gear. if anyone has a suggestion on a small waterproof bag that would hold the camera(cannon rebel) and another lens it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Buy a lowpro bag.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby B.Hud » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:36 pm

alright ill look into it.

thanks
Shouldbeaguide wrote: We rolled donuts all weekend on green tops and specks. Make sure your facts are strait
B.Hud
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:24 am

I actually carry my camera in a Lowepro bag when not hunting. It works great for that purpose but isn't waterproof and I'd never use it while duck hunting. I don't know if they make waterproof bags as well, but I carry my camera in a roll top dry bag, available most places that sell canoe/kayak equipment. The ones I'm using now have a camo finish and came from Cabelas. I wrap my SLR in an old towel or piece of spare clothing first to cushion it before placing it in the bag.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:49 pm

In the field I use an Optrex bag from Walmart, it will hold my Sony A550 and a 75-300mm zoom, a separate case for my Sigma 400mm, A bigger Sony bag houses my other five lens in the Jeep. I also have a medium sized Minolta bag for some nature walks.
I used to have a lowepro sling backpack but it was too big and cumbersome for my field needs.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby adv sask » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:37 pm

blind bag with a spare toque on it to keep it from getting dinged up , have been carrying my rebel like that for a few years now . The spare lense is just a free for all with everything else in the bag.
adv sask
hunter

Postby djg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:33 pm

If you're hunting from a boat, consider an army surplus 50 Cal ammo box. Not the cheap plastic ones; they don't seal. I've got 1" foam on the bottom and all sides. Nice snug fit for my T2i and a 135mm zoom. When I don't want to carry all that extra weight or there is no rain in the forecast, I use an old duck hunting shell bag. I keep a heavy plastic bag to put it in and store in my back pack if the weather turns south.
djg
hunter

Postby djg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:57 pm

REM1100 wrote:In the field I use ......., a separate case for my Sigma 400mm, ......I used to have a lowepro sling backpack but it was too big and cumbersome for my field needs.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind. What Sigma 400 mm lens do you have? The 120-400mm? If so do you have a camera bag that will handle the lens attached to the camera? Also, you mention a Lowepro sling backpack. Which one? Does that handle the 400 attached?

Thanks
djg
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:21 am

The SIGMA 400 is a prime lens. The Lowpro 200 sling can handle the camera and 400 lens attatched overall length is about 14 inches. The sigma 400 comes with its own case and I just clip it on the bag.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby djg » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:32 pm

Sorry to dog you about this again. I did a search for a "Lowepro Sling 200" and I only found the two below.
The SlingShot is too small I'm guessing. Is yours the other. Or maybe they don't make your model anymore.

Thanks

Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW
5.9 x 11.8 x 8.7 inches

Lowepro Flipside 200 Camera Bag
6.2 x 8.6 x 16.5 inches
djg
hunter

Postby The Mad Duck » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:54 am

If I'm hunting in a boat,my camera stays in a Pelican box. They are WATERPROOF to the point that if it goes overboard,It floats. You have some $$ tied up in your camera,dont trust a bag to keep it dry. The Pelican box is your best bet..IMO
BUCK OFAMA IN 2012
The Mad Duck
hunter

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum