GoPro

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

GoPro

Postby fazwilder » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:16 am

I bought a go pro over the summer and decided that I am going to bring it duck hunting with me, I am sure many of you use this product already, and i was wondering what settings do you use in the blind?
fazwilder
hunter

Re: GoPro

Postby HuntinNFishinNYMD » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:26 pm

I just recently bought a GoPro Hero2 took some shots with it a few weeks ago out in the bay here on Long Island and at the wooduck blind upstate. I usually use 720-60fps in WIDE view, this usually works out well clear enough for me and from what I heard the 1080 setting uses up more battery life filming over time. Still figuring out all the settings learning by trial/error but I tested each setting and when i got back to check 720-60 was perfect easy to edit in slow-motion and the wide view was the best. 1080 was good but i saw little difference in the clarity from 720fps. Still figureing things out with it but here's a video I took for the first time with GoPro at 720-60fps youtube can make it in any setting also.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNKSKY2cgCg

-Anthony
HuntinNFishinNYMD
Newb

Postby juwehoyt » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:09 pm

I put it on 1080p and it works good but it does take some time to load into the editing program. I do use the 120 fps also and it catches great slow mo when the birds are coming into the hole. I just picked up 5 more so now have a total of 6 and the footage should be great. Here is a video I put together. check out our chanel at teamnoflyzone on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yH70AU0 ... detailpage any questions feel free to ask.
There are 2 types of public land hunters...
1. Those who hear the shots and hunt there next time...
2. And those who are the shots...

NOW GET OUT AND DO YOUR OWN SCOUTING!!!
juwehoyt
hunter

Postby mike_b » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:45 pm

Any idea how to get better low-light performance? I'm using a Hero2 and I'm disappointed in the low-light. Its almost 45 min after shooting time before things are beginning to look clear. Also, I wish it had a non-fisheye wide mode. Not really interested in the Hero3 now unless I can get better shots. I just want it not to be grainy at sunrise.
mike_b
hunter

Postby juwehoyt » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:25 pm

mike_b wrote:Any idea how to get better low-light performance? I'm using a Hero2 and I'm disappointed in the low-light. Its almost 45 min after shooting time before things are beginning to look clear. Also, I wish it had a non-fisheye wide mode. Not really interested in the Hero3 now unless I can get better shots. I just want it not to be grainy at sunrise.

I know how you feel I just got done with a video from yesterdays hunt and the first 30 min were just dark???? Thats most often the best shooting of the day. :thumbsup: I guess you could just put a big spotlight out there :huh:

juwehoyt
hunter

Postby Benelli92 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:00 pm

Although I don't have a GoPro, I use a ContourHD attached to my hat. I film in 1080p and can't complain, battery lasts the whole hunt every time. Here is some YouTube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/92goosehunter?feature=guide
Benelli92
hunter

Postby juwehoyt » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:48 pm

Had a pretty good hunt on Veterans Day after work! Made up another video. Subscribe to us on YouTube if you haven't yet. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://youtu.be/8bBpM56_QFk

juwehoyt
hunter

Postby Erie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:35 pm

mike_b wrote:Any idea how to get better low-light performance? I'm using a Hero2 and I'm disappointed in the low-light. Its almost 45 min after shooting time before things are beginning to look clear. Also, I wish it had a non-fisheye wide mode. Not really interested in the Hero3 now unless I can get better shots. I just want it not to be grainy at sunrise.

GoPros are POV cams so trying to film duck hunts or anything outside of 5-10' is worthless. They are a excellent source for capturing different angles but trying to tape a duck committing to the decoys even at 30 yards, with the best editing will still look like 100 yards. I see very little different in 1080 and 720 other than the added fps in 720. With the Twixtor plugin you can make some unbelievable slow motion. Recording in wide is worthless and while it does capture a bit more, it exacerbates the fish eye effect which only complicates the editing process. Do yourself a favor and record in medium and keep your subject within 10'.

"teamfly"-take some rainX and do the outside of your lens and instead of a huge water drop on the lens the whole time the water will run right off.
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum