Need Advice

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

Need Advice

Postby b_walte15 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:26 pm

I have tried a little experimenting but cant really seem to get it.. What is the best camera setting to get clear pics of birds in flight? Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated!
b_walte15
hunter

Re: Need Advice

Postby fishfurlife » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:37 am

I am fairly new to trying to get good pictures but I can give you a little advice. Shutter speed is the obvious one. Depending on lighting conditions, I would shoot for a bare minimum of a 1/250 shutter speed. The higher the shutter speed, the more your subject will look like its not moving. 1/250 is the low end when light is either fading in the evening/still gaining in the morning. You can increase your iso and that will help in low light conditions but the higher the iso, the more grainy the picture can be. Lower F-stop are good in low light as well because they will allow you to get good light with a lower iso.

This is all pretty basic help but should at least get you stated.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby The Mad Duck » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:34 pm

Without knowing what equipment you are using thats a difficult question to answer.
Personally, I shoot in AV mode (Canon 40D and Canon 7D).
In the mornings, I shoot F4 or lower,ISO 500-1000 and the camera sets the shutter speed. As the day brightens up, I dial the ISO down (320-500) and close the aperature down a bit (f4-f16 depending on lighting conditions).

In AV mode (Aperature Value or Aperature Priority) mode,the camera picks the Shutter Speed according to the other settings I mentioned.
In TV mode (Time Value),you set the shutter speed and the camera sets the Aperature in accordance with the ISO.

These are the two modes I use most,and, I use AV most of the time
BUCK OFAMA IN 2012
The Mad Duck
hunter

Postby b_walte15 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:04 pm

I have my mom's old Canon Rebel XT
b_walte15
hunter

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum